Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

13 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Although this is unfortunately true, it does miss a rather significant factor, specifically demand or rather shortage of available properties (OFten in the most desired locations)

Oh yes, that's certainly a factor in it all.

However, this was just proving a simple statement of fact that owning a house as a proportion of income is at the present time more difficult than it has been for a very long time (perhaps ever), no matter what the interest rate is.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Precisely, what was "handed" to me?

Other than jobs for life, booming economy post war, fat final salary pension, free education, cheap housing and a country with influence around the globe.

If you aren’t rich with a 5 bed mtg free house, two cars and four foreign holidays a year with a fat wedge in inheritance ready to pass on you HAVE FAILED

Jokes aside you wouldn’t want to be young now, unless you’re a total idiot, so it’s discussion over 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Other than jobs for life, booming economy post war, fat final salary pension, free education, cheap housing and a country with influence around the globe.

If you aren’t rich with a 5 bed mtg free house, two cars and four foreign holidays a year with a fat wedge in inheritance ready to pass on you HAVE FAILED

Jokes aside you wouldn’t want to be young now, unless you’re a total idiot, so it’s discussion over 

And back in the day mostly it was all done on one salary, whilst the woman stayed at home and looked after the kids.

Try and buy a house and live day to day now on one salary, you need 50k if you have a missus and kids!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

That's a pretty typical, and accurate, argument in favour of democracy. Power, especially unaccountable power, almost always corrupts.

Perhaps though the best form of government isn't one or another, but dependent on the situation both locally and worldwide at any particular time.

NB. Ideally a direct democracy would work best in all situations, but that would rely on a populace that was informed, and critically, have the time and inclination to be informed.

The problem with our version of democracy is there is no real choice, you are really limited to one of two not distinctly different philosophies. Take an issue like legalising cannabis. Neither main party have any appetite for it, even if the majority of the country would want it there is no way to express that desire.

As much as the American system has fundamental flaws I do like their voting in certain propositions at a state level. Every general election I would also have a series of mini referendums on smaller issues like legalise cannabis, assisted suicide, fox hunting. Give the people a voice outside of having to align themselves to a broad range of policies. 

I would even extend it to bigger issues like student loans, minimum wage, public ownership of services. 

We have no real choice other than the least bad of 2 or 3 options, depending on where you live.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Oh yes, that's certainly a factor in it all.

However, this was just proving a simple statement of fact that owning a house as a proportion of income is at the present time more difficult than it has been for a very long time (perhaps ever), no matter what the interest rate is.

I've found a post we can agree on - it's only taken months!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tommy G said:

I've found a post we can agree on - it's only taken months!!

Yep!

Now get on board with meaningful action on climate change. :D

1 minute ago, kenny said:

Was all going fine until 1997.....

And still wasn't going fine all the time post-2010, which suggests this problem might be rather politically neutral.

Just now, leicsmac said:

Yep!

And still wasn't going fine all the time post-2010, which suggests this problem might be rather politically neutral.

It works better if you blame the Tories and brexit.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Yep!

I don't disagree with climate change, just tax....;) 

7 minutes ago, kenny said:

It works better if you blame the Tories and brexit.

Well, they're the ones currently in power and clearly doing bugger all to solve the problem...

7 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

I don't disagree with climate change, just tax....;) 

Fair enough.

Personally, how the project is financed is of secondary importance to its success (other than as a barometer of whether or not it's going to be successful or not) because failure will be by definition more costly than any money spent on success, but I'm not really convinced that a market-based system that values short-term profit over everything else is really going to cut it on such a long term (in terms of addressing it) problem.

I'd be happy to hear other alternatives that work that don't involve increased taxation in specific areas, though.

45 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Unless you went to university the schooling at state level is free now as it was then. As mentioned in a previous post most of us went to full time work at 15 or 16.  There have always been people doing jobs that never paid well but vital to society. I can't abide the want to set generations against each other. Some of us do our best to help children and grandchildren and with worries and concerns for them. We aint all on world cruises.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Unless you went to university the schooling at state level is free now as it was then. As mentioned in a previous post most of us went to full time work at 15 or 16.  There have always been people doing jobs that never paid well but vital to society. I can't abide the want to set generations against each other. Some of us do our best to help children and grandchildren and with worries and concerns for them. We aint all on world cruises.

Totally. And I can’t speak for all obvs. I was trying to highlight the thought of ‘maaaate rates were 196% when I first bought a house and we bathed twice a week omg we had it sooo hard I’m such a victim the young people have it so easy’ is as ridiculous as saying ‘everyone over 60 should be filthy rich because they had it all’ 

• Like 1

I had an interesting conversation today. Really good friend of mine. He is a legal headhunter - very good at what he does and well known in the industry. 

He mentioned that the amount of big law lawyers calling him up to move abroad was (he estimated) three times what it was over the last 5 years. New Zealand, Canada, the Middle East, Australia - all appealing to E&W qualified lawyers. That being in addition to the lawyers moving abroad to work on the relatively new SRA consultant scheme. 

It got me wondering if that is the similar picture in other professional industries because it isnt a good sign for the country. 

I think people have got tired - Brexit, Covid and now this shit show. The better tax system in itself is very appealing. 

2 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

What is the BOE and the FED up to. I can’t seem to fathom why they’re raising interest rates so aggressively whilst inflation although high isn’t being driven by overheating economies. In fact quite the opposite isn’t it?

They controlling the way we live simple as that, first covid now this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxes1988 said:

You need more context here for this.

Leeds building society provided some good context for it.  Ave House Prices have increased 14 fold while ave disposable income has has only doubled.  

image.jpeg.289760fb44f98797a49d8bbe7320c1ff.jpeg

I did a study on this about 10 years ago. Selling off council houses, not replenishing them, cutting down productive industry and moving to a finance-based economy that requires constant movement of houses to raise taxes was always going to end in disaster. 

People don't really want or need big houses. We need majority 2-3 bed terrace and semis, not 4 bed family homes I see popping up. 

2 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I had an interesting conversation today. Really good friend of mine. He is a legal headhunter - very good at what he does and well known in the industry. 

He mentioned that the amount of big law lawyers calling him up to move abroad was (he estimated) three times what it was over the last 5 years. New Zealand, Canada, the Middle East, Australia - all appealing to E&W qualified lawyers. That being in addition to the lawyers moving abroad to work on the relatively new SRA consultant scheme. 

It got me wondering if that is the similar picture in other professional industries because it isnt a good sign for the country. 

I think people have got tired - Brexit, Covid and now this shit show. The better tax system in itself is very appealing. 

Does he hire into magic circle? And what type of legal? 

In accountancy, my industry, we are having a tough time recruiting from overseas, there are some ‘crisis’ meetings to lure foreigners into the country to work, but more of a concentration upon building talent within our country now 

As some examples, when I first started a partner from Panama came to my firm as a senior mgr, a manager from Bahrain came as a first year…last month we were doing cartwheels as we managed to convince a ‘moron’ from nz to come as senior mgr. she was a mgr over there… 

Thats only what I’m seeing of course, others will see a different picture. anyway I couldn’t care less, I’m off to work overseas next Saturday! 

Edited by grobyfox1990

1 minute ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Does he hire into magic circle? And what type of legal? 

In accountancy, my industry, we are having a tough time recruiting from overseas, there are some ‘crisis’ meetings to lure foreigners into the country to work, but more of a concentration upon building talent within through country now 

As some examples, when I first started a partner from Panama came to my firm as a senior mgr, a manager from Bahrain came as a first year…last month when we doing cartwheels as we managed to convince a ‘moron’ from nz to come as senior mgr. she was a mgr over there… 

Thats only what I’m seeing of course, others will see a different picture. anyway I couldn’t care less, I’m off to work overseas next Saturday! 

Which part of Anglesey ? :)

• Haha 2