Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
marbles

US Gun Violence

3 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

How about a tank, stealth bomber or armed drone? You can never trust that old white dude who cuts his lawn with scissors. "Sus" as my kids would say.

If I owned a tank, I would roll across the border and overthrow Canada :)

I remember a while ago, think it was a pride parade and someone launched a car in to a bunch of people, yesterday in texas someone mowed a car in to a group of people sitting on the pavement killing 8 and injuring many more. I don't bring this up to demean the clear seriousness of the lack of gun control in America which is just mental, more that things like that just don't happen over here, not very often anway, what is going on in America thst is making all this hate and anger spill over in to massive loss of life, multiple times a day every day? It's just gut wrenching. 

Edited by Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot
Typo

10 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I remember a while ago, think it was a pride parade and someone launched a car in to a bunch of people, yesterday in texas someone mowed a car in to a group of people sitting on the pavement killing 8 and injuring many more. I don't bring this up to demean the clear seriousness of the lack of gun control in America which is just mental, more that things like that just don't happen over here, not very often anway, what is going on in America thst is making all this hate and anger spill over in to massive loss of life, multiple times a day every day? It's just gut wrenching. 

The people that control the narrative need to be held accountable. Fox news and the likes of Tucker Carlson exist only to whip their followers up into a frenzy over issues of immigration and "sexual perversion" and just create a culture of fear and hate. Mix that with access to guns you have a recipe for disaster, but you take the guns away and the fear and hate is still there and they will find other ways to act. It just won't be as lethal.

19 minutes ago, Captain... said:

The people that control the narrative need to be held accountable. Fox news and the likes of Tucker Carlson exist only to whip their followers up into a frenzy over issues of immigration and "sexual perversion" and just create a culture of fear and hate. Mix that with access to guns you have a recipe for disaster, but you take the guns away and the fear and hate is still there and they will find other ways to act. It just won't be as lethal.

Not just Fox and Tucker

Both sides seem to have a vested interest in dividing this country.

One side pushes sexual perversion, while the other pushes a racial divide.

3 hours ago, marbles said:

Not just Fox and Tucker

Both sides seem to have a vested interest in dividing this country.

One side pushes sexual perversion, while the other pushes a racial divide.

Whilst I get "both sides" are pushing an agenda (I dispute that Fox and Tucker represent a side rather a gross distortion of conservative values), the "side" that is pushing "sexual perversion" are promoting tolerance and understanding, of those that do not conform to social norms with regard to gender and sexuality, rather than hatred and fear. 

36 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Whilst I get "both sides" are pushing an agenda (I dispute that Fox and Tucker represent a side rather a gross distortion of conservative values), the "side" that is pushing "sexual perversion" are promoting tolerance and understanding, of those that do not conform to social norms with regard to gender and sexuality, rather than hatred and fear. 

Not arguing that fact - was simply pointing out that in a discussion about dividing society, if you’re going to call out one side for promoting an anti-trans agenda, you should also be pointing out that the other side is promoting racial divide.

Neither side is doing the right thing.  Both are promoting hatred.

Edited by marbles

The Texas shooting has made news over here, seeing as three of the victims were Korean-American. A mum, dad and a three-year old kid. Their six-year old lad survived.

When he's a bit older, whoever is in charge of the NRA should be made to sit down with him and tell him exactly why he's now alone in his family.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

The Texas shooting has made news over here, seeing as three of the victims were Korean-American. A mum, dad and a three-year old kid. Their six-year old lad survived.

When he's a bit older, whoever is in charge of the NRA should be made to sit down with him and tell him exactly why he's now alone in his family.

It should be an obligation that after every massacre members of the NRA sit down with the victims families and explain why their family members are dead and why there are no adequate gun controls. Also republican members of the senate and Congress. If they are not going to make changes then the least they can do is to personally talk to the victims families. While most wouldnt change their closed minds about gun control it would make them take more of a responsibility.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

It should be an obligation that after every massacre members of the NRA sit down with the victims families and explain why their family members are dead and why there are no adequate gun controls. Also republican members of the senate and Congress. If they are not going to make changes then the least they can do is to personally talk to the victims families. While most wouldnt change their closed minds about gun control it would make them take more of a responsibility.

Yes.

Of course, they'd try to weasel out of it by saying it's the person that is responsible, not the making and application of the laws... at which point hopefully they might be asked ".... fine, so what are you doing about that, then?"

Edited by leicsmac

• 4 weeks later...

The mass shooting was the 279th to take place in the US in the first 157 days of 2023, according to the Gun Violence Archive. It defines a shooting as a mass shooting when four or more people are shot or killed in a single incident, not including the shooter :nono:

1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

The mass shooting was the 279th to take place in the US in the first 157 days of 2023, according to the Gun Violence Archive. It defines a shooting as a mass shooting when four or more people are shot or killed in a single incident, not including the shooter :nono:

And when you consider the amount of shock, outrage and news coverage there is when serial killings (defined as 2-3 murders over a month or more) are occurring, it shows how normalised mass shootings have become in the US.

At least, that’s my perception of it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BKLFox said:

And how many "standard" shootings have there been in that time?

It's just insane that they refuse to do anything about it.

They like guns. They see guns as their right. They are willing to accept the loss of men, women and children, as collateral in their ability to have guns. 

I've just come to accept that absolutely nothing will change. Best thing is for the states to split - one country, two systems. 

Gun states and non gun states. 

• 2 months later...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66630263

A gunman killed three black people in a racially motivated attack then killed himself in Jacksonville, Florida, the city's sheriff said.

...Florida Governor Ron DeSantis called the gunman a "scumbag" and described the shooting as "horrific".

... you're an elected official with executive power, Mr deSantis. If you wanted to actually do anything about either the problem here or the method by which it was exacerbated, then you would. But you don't, so words and "thoughts and prayers" will be all, I guess.

• Like 2

On 26/08/2023 at 20:11, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66630263

A gunman killed three black people in a racially motivated attack then killed himself in Jacksonville, Florida, the city's sheriff said.

...Florida Governor Ron DeSantis called the gunman a "scumbag" and described the shooting as "horrific".

... you're an elected official with executive power, Mr deSantis. If you wanted to actually do anything about either the problem here or the method by which it was exacerbated, then you would. But you don't, so words and "thoughts and prayers" will be all, I guess.

I’m sure Roy Cooper(d) out of N Carolina will show us how it’s done

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/unc-carolina-shooter-latest-active-shooting-situation-at-chapel-hill-campus-with-reports-of-one-wounded/ar-AA1fTuZv?OCID=ansmsnnews11

and yes, I’m being facetious 

Edited by marbles

On 07/06/2023 at 14:41, fox_up_north said:

They like guns. They see guns as their right. They are willing to accept the loss of men, women and children, as collateral in their ability to have guns. 

I've just come to accept that absolutely nothing will change. Best thing is for the states to split - one country, two systems. 

Gun states and non gun states. 

Then gun & firework runners in between..

5 hours ago, marbles said:

I’m sure Roy Cooper(d) out of N Carolina will show us how it’s done

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/unc-carolina-shooter-latest-active-shooting-situation-at-chapel-hill-campus-with-reports-of-one-wounded/ar-AA1fTuZv?OCID=ansmsnnews11

and yes, I’m being facetious 

Well, you'd hope someone would.

Surely there aren't that many of them in the pockets of the NRA.