Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
marbles

US Gun Violence

15 minutes ago, Captain... said:

It's just interesting, I mean suggesting kids wear Kevlar is ridiculous, but so is arming teachers.

Yeah, I don’t agree with arming the teachers.  
It seems like a simple solution at first, but then you realize we would end up with stories of teachers gunning down unruly teens.

I think the quick answer is armed security at schools - not as a final solution, but as some type of solution until something is figured out.

"I was proud to be the most pro-gun, pro-second amendment President you've ever had. And with your support in 2024, I will be your loyal friend and fearless champion once again as the 47th President of the United States"

Donald Trump, annual NRA conference April 2023.

...and by the way, can I count on you for my nomination? 

DeSantis was in on the shameless courting of the NRA too, addressing the delegates via video link.  

4 minutes ago, Line-X said:

"I was proud to be the most pro-gun, pro-second amendment President you've ever had. And with your support in 2024, I will be your loyal friend and fearless champion once again as the 47th President of the United States"

Donald Trump, annual NRA conference April 2023.

...and by the way, can I count on you for my nomination? 

DeSantis was in on the shameless courting of the NRA too, addressing the delegates via video link.  

... and a slice of those proceeds that you make in guns and arms sales to try to pay my way out of becoming a convicted felon?

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zear0 said:

Hope he makes a full recovery. Literally a kid gone to collect his brother. F**ker won't even get a slap on the wrist. 

I don’t know about that.

Not sure how he would get out of this one.  
From the reports, kid only rang the doorbell.  Homeowner shot him twice.

Missouri is a state in which you have the right to stand your ground - but you would first have to prove that the kid posed a threat.  Homeowner shot him through the door, which wouldn’t constitute a threat since he was inside his home and the kid had not forced entry,

In Missouri, you can use force to protect your property - but not deadly force.  So even if the kid was trying to steal the doorbell, the homeowner  could not legally shoot him.  He definitely couldn’t shoot him twice.

Ill be curious to see what defense is attempted.  IMO the homeowner needs to plea and hope this goes away while sitting in prison.

Of course we only have one side of the story so far, but I don’t see how this could get better for the homeowner.  
Even if it happened here in Texas, where you can shoot to kill, this guy would be in a world of trouble - going off what we currently know.

Edited by marbles
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, marbles said:

I don’t know about that.

Not sure how he would get out of this one.  
From the reports, kid only rang the doorbell.  Homeowner shot him twice.

Missouri is a state in which you have the right to stand your ground - but you would first have to prove that the kid posed a threat.  Homeowner shot him through the door, which wouldn’t constitute a threat since he was inside his home and the kid had not forced entry,

In Missouri, you can use force to protect your property - but not deadly force.  So even if the kid was trying to steal the doorbell, the homeowner  could not legally shoot him.  He definitely couldn’t shoot him twice.

Ill be curious to see what defense is attempted.  IMO the homeowner needs to plea and hope this goes away while sitting in prison.

Of course we only have one side of the story so far, but I don’t see how this could get better for the homeowner.  
Even if it happened here in Texas, where you can shoot to kill, this guy would be in a world of trouble - going off what we currently know.

Colour me cynical, but I think that seeing as the guy is 85 years old, the defence will be along the lines of "he's old, you can't ruin the end of his life like this, and he wasn't thinking clearly and he feared for his life", and there are enough 2nd Amendment adherents in any potential Missouri jury pool that will have no problem with what he did to make that defence work, even if the guy is clearly guilty under the letter of the law. Unless the prosecution does an excellent job of picking the jury.

Jury nullification working in a darker fashion than usual.

49 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Colour me cynical, but I think that seeing as the guy is 85 years old, the defence will be along the lines of "he's old, you can't ruin the end of his life like this, and he wasn't thinking clearly and he feared for his life", and there are enough 2nd Amendment adherents in any potential Missouri jury pool that will have no problem with what he did to make that defence work, even if the guy is clearly guilty under the letter of the law. Unless the prosecution does an excellent job of picking the jury.

Jury nullification working in a darker fashion than usual.

It’s fine to be cynical

I just disagree that he will walk away with nothing, as the previous poster stated.

Even though there are people who support the 2nd, people are convicted of gun crimes fairly regularly - even in the Wild Wild West.

Just had a guy convicted here in Texas for shooting and killing a BLM Protestor - now, he will be exonerated, because who the hell knows what the jury was thinking, but that’s besides the point.  
Juries are not afraid to convict someone for shooting at someone else.

As for “feared for life” - again, how will that be proven if the kid really only rang the doorbell.  Plus, even if he proves that he was scared behind his locked door (this will be key),  Missouri does not allow you to shoot someone for being “scared or fearful”.  
I have no doubt this man will be convicted if it goes to trial, based only on what we know.

Now, the jury could just decide to ignore the law and find him not guilty - but isnt that the case with anyone charged with a crime?

Edited by marbles

3 hours ago, marbles said:

It’s fine to be cynical

I just disagree that he will walk away with nothing, as the previous poster stated.

Even though there are people who support the 2nd, people are convicted of gun crimes fairly regularly - even in the Wild Wild West.

Just had a guy convicted here in Texas for shooting and killing a BLM Protestor - now, he will be exonerated, because who the hell knows what the jury was thinking, but that’s besides the point.  
Juries are not afraid to convict someone for shooting at someone else.

As for “feared for life” - again, how will that be proven if the kid really only rang the doorbell.  Plus, even if he proves that he was scared behind his locked door (this will be key),  Missouri does not allow you to shoot someone for being “scared or fearful”.  
I have no doubt this man will be convicted if it goes to trial, based only on what we know.

Now, the jury could just decide to ignore the law and find him not guilty - but isnt that the case with anyone charged with a crime?

I guess we'll find out one way or another.

In related news:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65307556

A man has been charged with second-degree murder in the US after he allegedly shot and killed a 20-year-old woman as the car she was in mistakenly drove up the man's driveway.

The mind boggles.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Nick said:

I read that earlier, it says there has been 198 gun violence mass shootings of 4 or more people at once since the start of the year - the most apparently since at least 2016.

198?

That's bonkers.

Bonkers that you only have to go back to 2016 to get more than 198 by this point.  

• Like 1

On 07/05/2023 at 10:02, KFS said:

Floridas most recent answer is to give kids transparent backpacks. Anything but addressing the root cause. 

I can’t say for sure what the root cause is, but I’m betting it is teen friendly vape pens. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

You can bet there are Americans who have already suggested this as a serious idea.

Personally, I think I'd advocate for the right for the individual to bear portable tactical nuclear weapons.

Let's see how far the principle of MAD can really go.

1 hour ago, Jattdogg said:

Simple, just let people have bigger guns now. Rocket launchers. It's a god given right.

Umm, there are Americans who already own these.

Did you forget about the one they found at an airport several months ago?

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, marbles said:

Umm, there are Americans who already own these.

Did you forget about the one they found at an airport several months ago?

That's why the logical next step in personal protection is tactical nuclear devices, as per above. :ph34r:

• Haha 2