Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SemperEadem

World Football Thread 2022/23

Just now, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Watching Linfield v a Latvian side to qualify for the Europa Conference League proper. No idea what standard Linfield are, like what equivalent to an English club are they? League 1, 2??

Having watched them this season - I’d go as low as Conference. Not many Irish League players make it over here, even in League 1/2

2 hours ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Watching Linfield v a Latvian side to qualify for the Europa Conference League proper. No idea what standard Linfield are, like what equivalent to an English club are they? League 1, 2??

Irish League is probably around National League North/South these days. Some teams are full time professional but most arent.

In the last minute of extra time Linfield miss a sitter to seal the tie but miss, the Latvian team go to the other end and equalise with the most hilarious of goals which was a cross knocked in by a Linfield player.

The Linfield keeper was awful at penalties, one went under him at a snail's pace.

35 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Irish League is probably around National League North/South these days. Some teams are full time professional but most arent.

In the last minute of extra time Linfield miss a sitter to seal the tie but miss, the Latvian team go to the other end and equalise with the most hilarious of goals which was a cross knocked in by a Linfield player.

The Linfield keeper was awful at penalties, one went under him at a snail's pace.

33 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Gutting for Linfield .

So close !

Hearts also put after a home defeat v Zurich.

Interestingly UEFA club rankings have Linfield on par with Randers, who we played last season.

That last minute drama reminded me of the Knockaert/Deeney incident in that playoff semi final.

Absolute shocker for them though. You’d feel sick.

The commentators were talking it up like the NI FA had pumped lots of money in, and this was going to be a moment where it all pays off etc.

On 25/08/2022 at 23:13, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Interestingly UEFA club rankings have Linfield on par with Randers, who we played last season.

That last minute drama reminded me of the Knockaert/Deeney incident in that playoff semi final.

Absolute shocker for them though. You’d feel sick.

The commentators were talking it up like the NI FA had pumped lots of money in, and this was going to be a moment where it all pays off etc.

Linfield are indirectly heavily funded by the IFA as Linfield own the land that the National Stadium sits on. Some, ahem, questionable officials signed a 999 year lease with Linfield in the 90s I believe and therefore guaranting a healthy stream of income.

Its a bit shit for the rest of the Irish League teams as its a clear unfair financial advantage. Most Irish Leagues would have wanted Linfield to get beat last night, think a combination of Man Utd, Rangers and Liverpool rolled into one.

I'm away from that space a bit now so would have liked Linfield to have done it. Still though, maybe someone else can win the league and most can get behind that team on Europe on 2023.

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Nalis said:

Linfield are indirectly heavily funded by the IFA as Linfield own the land that the National Stadium sits on. Some, ahem, questionable officials signed a 999 year lease with Linfield in the 90s I believe and therefore guaranting a healthy stream of income.

Its a bit shit for the rest of the Irish League teams as its a clear unfair financial advantage. Most Irish Leagues would have wanted Linfield to get beat last night, think a combination of Man Utd, Rangers and Liverpool rolled into one.

I'm away from that space a bit now so would have liked Linfield to have done it. Still though, maybe someone else can win the league and most can get behind that team on Europe on 2023.

What's happening with Larne thought they were minted and funded by the Purple Bricks guy? They not kicked on really?

13 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

What's happening with Larne thought they were minted and funded by the Purple Bricks guy? They not kicked on really?

I'm not actually sure. Its a small town and barely any fans compared to the traditional bigger clubs. Not sure if there is a form of FFP in Northern Ireland either.

Most they've done is qualify for the early european rounds.

Just watched the Linfield Highlights, how on earth did they get knocked out?

First leg they were 2-0 with 2 minutes left and concede 2 goals.

Second leg they had so many good chances but somehow failed to score.  Take the lead in ET and then when it looked easier to score they miss a 4 on 1 in the last minute,  RFS immediately attack and the defender makes a howler of an OG to take it to pens.  Then Linfield take some truly awful penalties and get knocked out.

Incredible.