Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SemperEadem

World Football Thread 2022/23

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Sorry to be pedantic but isn't it gamesmanship, rather than cheating.. ? :sweating:

It's cheating in my eyes. Deliberate deceiving the ref to win a penalty or a get an opponent sent off should be an offence that leads to a ban. Unfortunately, few people care and see it as part of the game, so it'll remain with the majority of people only complaining it when it affects them and making excuses when their players do it.

Some really interesting CL qualifying results last night. 

Olympiacos stuffed 4-0 at home by Maccabi Haifa, Qarabag beat Zurich and Malmo humbled by Zalgiris of Lithuania. 

Standout ties in the next round are Monaco v PSV and Rangers up against  Union Saint-Gilloise.

23 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

Another boring week in the MLS, just the 60 goals in 14 matches.:D

Just might have a little pat on my own back given my MLS predications from a decade ago of size of crowds, wages, stadiums, atmosphere, TV money etc...have all come true.:ph34r:

I also assumed MLS would get big, once they took it seriously. It's such an international sport that I really don't know why Americans shunned it in favour of NFL and baseball. 

On 07/08/2022 at 11:02, purpleronnie said:

Just might have a little pat on my own back given my MLS predications from a decade ago of size of crowds, wages, stadiums, atmosphere, TV money etc...have all come true.:ph34r:

If they changed the league structure to include promotion and relegation they'd have the best pyramid in the world. It'd give football a huge competitive advantage over other sports too - without checking I bet only a third of cities with a 250k+ population have a pro sports team, some states don't even have one. Given how replicable setting up a football team is you'd expect  groundswell of support for places not served by a pro team.

]

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

If they changed the league structure to include promotion and relegation they'd have the best pyramid in the world. It'd give football a huge competitive advantage over other sports too - without checking I bet only a third of cities with a 250k+ population have a pro sports team, some states don't even have one. Given how replicable setting up a football team is you'd expect  groundswell of support for places not served by a pro team.

]

I think it's only a matter of time.  There are so many states wanting MLS teams.  They won't be able to sustain the growth if they don't.  I suppose there could be a north/south/east/west league structure all going into playoffs like they do now with east and west without the need of  promotion/relegation but again that is still limiting growth so i believe it will happen.  And i agree there is the potential for an incredible pyramid unrivalled anywhere in the world.

2 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

I think it's only a matter of time.  There are so many states wanting MLS teams.  They won't be able to sustain the growth if they don't.  I suppose there could be a north/south/east/west league structure all going into playoffs like they do now with east and west without the need of  promotion/relegation but again that is still limiting growth so i believe it will happen.  And i agree there is the potential for an incredible pyramid unrivalled anywhere in the world.

It'd create local rivalries which US sports tend to lack as well. The franchise model isn't going to grow the game, even if they had Brazillain style sate championships for different geographical conferences in conjunction with the MLS it'd be a big improvement.

People have been saying it for years but I can see the US national side becoming a force. Culturally football is more popular than ever, it's ore accessible than most of their sports and the pathway in isn't college dependent like a few other sports. Just by weight of numbers too.

On 08/08/2022 at 10:31, fox_up_north said:

I also assumed MLS would get big, once they took it seriously. It's such an international sport that I really don't know why Americans shunned it in favour of NFL and baseball. 

I think because the latter are 'American' sports and American has always been incredibly insular on the sports they promote.  They assumed incorrectly they would have to 'Americanize' soccer before it became popular, they were wrong and it failed.  So they just gave the fans what they always wanted not what they thought they wanted and hey presto success.

The one thing that America now wants is to be recognized as one of  the best leagues in the world....the obstacle they have is The Champions League, even though they have their own version with South America it just isn't close to the pull of the Champions league.  Now if that changed and there was a world champions league the MLS would become a huge draw and I believe many top players would go there.  

Now as most of my predications from a decade ago has come true (despite others disagreeing with me at the time) I'm not going to predict a world champions league yet...but its not that far fetched to believe they could in the future.  Including asia/australia/china and the americas it would be a massive money making machine.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Barcelona may have to release Kessie and Christensen as free agents if not registered before Saturday lol lol

They will probably find a way but I don't know why any player is signing for them. I get the tradition and the attraction of the club but they are a complete circus. 

On 07/08/2022 at 05:02, purpleronnie said:

Ok, I’m curious.  What were the predictions?

Relegation/Promotion is impossible with MLS - even though the NASL offered to be a part of it a few years ago.

In US sports, teams buy the right to play in the league.  
That would need to change, and I don’t see any rich owners offering up their spots.

The big thing holding back the US in international play, is that our best athletes still get into other sports at a young age, because that’s where they can be stars and there’s where American money is.  Until homegrown stars are making huge money in the states, soccer will continue to be 4th option.

Edited by marbles

1 hour ago, marbles said:

Relegation/Promotion is impossible with MLS - even though the NASL offered to be a part of it a few years ago.

In US sports, teams buy the right to play in the league.  
That would need to change, and I don’t see any rich owners offering up their spots.

The big thing holding back the US in international play, is that our best athletes still get into other sports at a young age, because that’s where they can be stars and there’s where American money is.  Until homegrown stars are making huge money in the states, soccer will continue to be 4th option.

So where's the cut off point?  There can only be so many teams in the 2 divisions.  I can't see how unless they do a N/S/E/W 4 division structure they can add anymore teams to the league.