Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

Accents You Love or Hate

Following on from comments in the Grinds My Gears thread around regional accents, what accents do you like or dislike or even wish you had?

Personally I love a deep Geordie accent and wish I had done. Yorkshire accents are so suggestive of a no nonsense approach to life.

Internationally, I wish I had an Italian twang to my speech. Had that been the case, I could have scored with so many more girls. 

Cockerny's always seem... well... cocky and self assured.

3 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Following on from comments in the Grinds My Gears thread around regional accents, what accents do you like or dislike or even wish you had?

Personally I love a deep Geordie accent and wish I had done. Yorkshire accents are so suggestive of a no nonsense approach to life.

Internationally, I wish I had an Italian twang to my speech. Had that been the case, I could have scored with so many more girls. 

Cockerny's always seem... well... cocky and self assured.

Biased towards Geordie cos of Mum. Good point about Italian. This Cockney ain't so self assured  

• Haha 1

Just now, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Same. That thick Irish accent on a woman is absolutely sensational. Brummy, liverpudlian and Welsh are accents I really can't stand. Like the Manc accent. 

West Country and Norfolk miles apart but both have a certain similar sound to my ears. 

Like: Southern Italian, Greek, Bulgarian, Glaswegian, Norfolk

Dislike: Northern Italian, Croatian, Spanish, Highland Scottish, London

Can't decide on Scouse. I like it when it's like Steve McManaman, wound up over a penalty that hasn't been given. Hate it if it's drony Steven Gerrard.

Totally ambivalent on all US accents. Although New Orleans is quite good.

Worst accent on the planet is the kind of generic, middle class, half-way-between-RP-and-estuary-English drone that so many people now have in the South Eastern counties. That's the one I have.

3 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

West Country and Norfolk miles apart but both have a certain similar sound to my ears. 

Rhoticity is the key difference, as well as some vowel sounds. It's a bugbear of East Anglians that people cant tell them apart which led to the Friends of the Norfolk Accent being formed (proud member here)

Edited by bovril

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

Another vote for the female southern Irish accent here. 

Lets be honest though, the Leicester accent is fvckin rancid.

Although I lived in Leicester for over 30 years, I'm lucky enough not to have it.

It's dreadful lol

Although I do get the piss taken out of me for saying Glass, France, grass etc without purring an extra r in them

Actually think it depends on gender as well. Most Scottish accents sound better when a guy is talking. Comedy and football is always levels above. Similarly find Brummie quite funny when it's a bloke.

I do like hearing girls with a mancunian accent though. Maybe it's down to Corrie!

Have learnt to tolerate Scouse in recent years. Like the Irish, some are pleasant.

Landan is Landan.

Don't think you can sugarcoat Welsh in any way. Probably the same with Geordie. It is what it is lol

As for Leicester...we're just boring innit :dunno:

Edited by TK95

24 minutes ago, bovril said:

Rhoticity is the key difference, as well as some vowel sounds. It's a bugbear of East Anglians that people cant tell them apart which led to the Friends of the Norfolk Accent being formed (proud member here)

Thanks bovril. I will try to educate myself. By the way is a Suffolk accent much different? Don't want to start a local difficulty 

25 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Another vote for the female southern Irish accent here. 

Lets be honest though, the Leicester accent is fvckin rancid.

I dont think its rancid, its not as distinctive as some other regional accents though.

Like - Most regional, Geordie, Cockney, Yorkshire, Lancs, Brummie, West Country, Wales, I quite like the Leicester accent

Dislike- Kent and Essex, middle class home countries, anyone that sounds home countries middle class who is actually from Yorkshire, Northumberland, Midlands, etc. Also,, posh Scottish and Gareth Bale's Welsh connotated slightly whiny accent.

Edited by Nalis

1 minute ago, Nalis said:

I dont think its rancid, its not as distinctive as some other regional accents though.

As a non Leicester local I think it is fine. Definite middle of England. Some non Northern sounds but then the bath and path thing stands out. Celebrities like Emile, Gary, Mark S and Tony Sibson fly the flag. I pick up on how you say words like Selby and Derby. BTW my brother was in the army with lots of lads from Lincs and Suffolk. As a Cockney he was dubbed "Mud" as he was as clear as mud to them

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TK95 said:

Actually think it depends on gender as well. Most Scottish accents sound better when a guy is talking. Comedy and football is always levels above. Similarly find Brummie quite funny when it's a bloke.

I do like hearing girls with a mancunian accent though. Maybe it's down to Corrie!

Have learnt to tolerate Scouse in recent years. Like the Irish, some are pleasant.

Landan is Landan.

Don't think you can sugarcoat Welsh in any way. Probably the same with Geordie. It is what it is lol

As for Leicester...we're just boring innit :dunno:

Agree about the gender thing. Quite glad my wife don't talk like me.

24 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Thanks bovril. I will try to educate myself. By the way is a Suffolk accent much different? Don't want to start a local difficulty 

North Suffolk sounds like a softer Norfolk to me. When you get towards Ipswich the estuary influence gets stronger, especially amongst younger generations. Cambridgeshire has a similar split. 'The Dig' is a nice film with good Suffolk accents. 

I think one of the reasons the East Anglian accent is so unknown is because nobody famous really has one. Martin Brundle, Bernie Ecclestone and Sean Harris have a twang but it comes and goes. Harris probably has the strongest. The only person I know who really has a Norfolk accent on TV is Chris Sutton and that's a very nice, more old school Norfolk accent.

Edited by bovril

26 minutes ago, Nalis said:

It’s a ‘lazy’ accent at best 

or should I say layzeh