Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JimmyC74

Recruitment strategy under the spotlight 

Just read the article in The Athletic. He seems to move on a lot. Hope he earns his corn in the next two windows. Positive that the club appointed him and not Rodgers though. Didn’t Rodgers make comments about bringing in players he liked that the data guys didn’t like and then get Bertrand in? - To be fair I was positive about this at the time and was impressed by Bertrand in two friendlies. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

He's at another club after the one he transferred to from us, dont think it would carry over.

I think Brugge signed him from us, unless I am mistaken. But I can’t see the club having many clauses except maybe a percentage of another fee being inserted. Also unlikely the 8 million has been fully received up to this date too.

1 minute ago, westernpark said:

I think Brugge signed him from us, unless I am mistaken. But I can’t see the club having many clauses except maybe a percentage of another fee being inserted. Also unlikely the 8 million has been fully received up to this date too.

Oh yh you're right, thought he went to AZ first.

1 hour ago, LVocey said:

Any reason why or just general gloom?

Track record doesn't really fill me with confidence but maybe it's way more subjective than that. Steve Walsh had hardly done anything before he got the gig with us. Just get the feeling we need a much more modern and dynamic approach to this club and we are trying to go back to what we think worked before.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Track record doesn't really fill me with confidence but maybe it's way more subjective than that. Steve Walsh had hardly done anything before he got the gig with us. Just get the feeling we need a much more modern and dynamic approach to this club and we are trying to go back to what we think worked before.

Yeah I agree with this actually..maybe I’m over simplifying it but surely it’s very easy for someone who knows what they are doing to search the footballing world for someone with an excellent track record in our kind of market. Bringing Glover in does seem a little too much of going by past reputation of the club he’s come from rather than diving into his transfer record. Maybe that’s a little harder to so than I’m giving credit for though

On 12/07/2022 at 22:37, Lambert09 said:

As sick as it made me to say it, when my mate asked about how our summer was shaping up, I told him to consider a long shot relegation bet on us, if we don’t get some key deals over the line. 

Do i think we will, of course not. But do I think we could … yes. 

The premier league isn’t a league you can sit still for long in.  We clearly have a top squad but one that can be disjointed and relies on key areas working well.

The worry for me, is that our older stars perhaps drop off at the same time. if kasper, vardy and evans all have poor seasons we already significantly drop in quality.  

Then if we were to get 1 or 2 injuries (barnes, Mads or Fofana)  we could suddenly become a pretty soft team. 

If we don’t solve our defensive flaws we will be in a really difficult place. 

on paper the teams that have come up are going to be better than the ones that went down. 

I always keep the faith that the club know what they are doing behind the scenes. But just the thought of missing our top targets and scraping the barrel at the end of the window horrifies me. 

With such a shake up needed and one that’s proving to be harder than expected we need to get the next 2/3 deals absolutely correct! 

but then  other part of me, thinks that if our squad is healthy, we could push for top 5. A lot is yet to be seen and i’m hoping that Brendan can find a way to remind me we are a quality team and regain some optimism. Sevilla will be a really good indicator 

i miss the times everyone told me i was an idiot for considering this :cry:

Where are those posters who were screaming for us to sign Coutinho in the summer. Our little Brazilian friend has scored no goals and provided no assists this season whilst picking up 150 grand a week. Even our worst performers have done better than that. Yet we let Lookman go and he did a decent job for us. We certainly need a big change recruitment wise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2022 at 13:15, Ric Flair said:

What we need is someone who watches enough football from other leagues and can recommend, obscure at the moment, players that we can get before other notice them. Do you know anyone lol

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

i’m always interested seeing how the players we were linked with get on. 

interestingly, our so called top target in Colwill has barely played under 2 different managers now at Brighton.

They aren’t a club afraid to throw in a youngster so i’m quite surprised he’s not had much of a go. Perhaps he’s not as good as we were expecting.

Edited by Lambert09

On 10/10/2022 at 13:15, Ric Flair said:

Wout Faes plays golf does he?

3 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

i’m always interested seeing how the players we were linked with get on. 

interestingly, our so called top target in Colwill has barely played under 2 different managers now at Brighton.

They aren’t a club afraid to throw in a youngster so i’m quite surprised he’s not had much of a go. Perhaps he’s not as good as we were expecting.

Blackpool lad having a stinker in Greece via Forest

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 12/07/2022 at 22:37, Lambert09 said:

As sick as it made me to say it, when my mate asked about how our summer was shaping up, I told him to consider a long shot relegation bet on us, if we don’t get some key deals over the line. 

Do i think we will, of course not. But do I think we could … yes. 

The premier league isn’t a league you can sit still for long in.  We clearly have a top squad but one that can be disjointed and relies on key areas working well.

The worry for me, is that our older stars perhaps drop off at the same time. if kasper, vardy and evans all have poor seasons we already significantly drop in quality.  

Then if we were to get 1 or 2 injuries (barnes, Mads or Fofana)  we could suddenly become a pretty soft team. 

If we don’t solve our defensive flaws we will be in a really difficult place. 

on paper the teams that have come up are going to be better than the ones that went down. 

I always keep the faith that the club know what they are doing behind the scenes. But just the thought of missing our top targets and scraping the barrel at the end of the window horrifies me. 

With such a shake up needed and one that’s proving to be harder than expected we need to get the next 2/3 deals absolutely correct! 

but then  other part of me, thinks that if our squad is healthy, we could push for top 5. A lot is yet to be seen and i’m hoping that Brendan can find a way to remind me we are a quality team and regain some optimism. Sevilla will be a really good indicator 

Urghhh, I knew i’d called this and was curious on how much of my prediction was accurate… Pretty funny that just in the summer my hopes were on kasper (gone) fofana (gone) Evans (dead) and vardy (fading) staying fit: 

On 13/07/2022 at 01:15, TommyK said:

We're not going to get relegated FFS. Even with the injuries we had last year we finished 8th. 

On 13/07/2022 at 02:52, Ashley said:

We won't get relegated lol

If anything we will finish in the European places this Season. Teams in Europe will struggle with how quick the games come. 

We will sign players, money is there but we need to move out the fringe players who are on silly wages. I.e. Hamza. We can't afford to have loads of players outside the 25 man squad

sorry to call it back on you lads but I saw these under my post. 🙃

Edited by Lambert09

In January, I hoped the three new signings would make a difference.    None are current starters. Smith has to work with what he has.  Very few players signed under Rodgers start.  Stating the obvious: our demise has been our transfer strategy.  

• Like 1