Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SkidsFox

Who do you tip?

Chinese takeaway del driver, but only because they still only take cash and I did it for a while as well.

Uber drivers when the poor bastards have to come out the city to give me a lift live a mule home from pub lol

And occasionally restaurant staff if they actually are polite and look like they enjoy their job.

21 hours ago, filbertway said:

Haha usually in late night bars and clubs. They have an array of knock off aftershaves and shout "no spray no lay" at you. Gum, lollipops, mints. 

Have a mint, get sprayed with some knock off joop, give the fella £2 and it's back out into the game. I'm pretty sure one of these guys got about a tenth of my student loan.

Do these guys still exist? I genuinely can't remember the last time I went to a club.

They used to say "No splash, no gash" and "No Armani, no poonani" lol

54 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Do these guys still exist? I genuinely can't remember the last time I went to a club.

They used to say "No splash, no gash" and "No Armani, no poonani" lol

Oh yesss! Still using the same lines and knock off aftershave haha. Clubs/late night bars are more of a once every 2 or 3 months thing now rather than weekly though. 

My mate had a mare at a christmas do at tigers a few years back. Went to the toilet for a post meal crap, came out and there was a black lad in a waist coat stood by the sinks. Thinking it was one of the "no spray, no lay" guys, my mate goes "oh sorry, pal i've not got any change at the minute". The lad gave him a blank look and said "what?" then I think he clicked a few seconds later and my mate just wanted the ground to open up and swallow him lol

I think the other lad took it well enough in the end. My mate offered him a drink and they had a laugh about it, I about died cringing just hearing the story lol

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, Parafox said:

My daughter has been working at a well renowned and always busy hotel, near Hinckley,.  She has said she's had more verbal crap from customers than she has had tips.  

Sorry to hear that. From my experience, it’s very much where you work, some places just attract a decent customer base, and some don’t.

Of course tips are a bonus and very much appreciated, but I think most people just want to be treated with some respect. 

It really angers me when people talk to employees like they’re idiots. But like I’ve said above, it normally says a lot about who they really are as a person.

• Like 1

I'm not a massive one for tipping. Taxi if it's just rounding up a quid or so. Good restaurants if it's been excellent. Cabin staff and table staff, if we have the same ones for the whole trip, and they've been good.

Really dislike the service charge added in restaurants, if it's not a big party.

We were quite taken aback on our first visit to the US that they added a high % charge to your bill, not sure if they were that pleased when we asked for it to be removed. Tipping culture is so different in the States, I'm on a cruise forum, a lot of US contributors and tipping is a hot and contentious topic. Some of the amounts quoted are astonishing, especially considering there is a mandatory daily service charge added per day anyway - it's $100 here there and eveywhere!

2 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

I'm not a massive one for tipping. Taxi if it's just rounding up a quid or so. Good restaurants if it's been excellent. Cabin staff and table staff, if we have the same ones for the whole trip, and they've been good.

Really dislike the service charge added in restaurants, if it's not a big party.

We were quite taken aback on our first visit to the US that they added a high % charge to your bill, not sure if they were that pleased when we asked for it to be removed. Tipping culture is so different in the States, I'm on a cruise forum, a lot of US contributors and tipping is a hot and contentious topic. Some of the amounts quoted are astonishing, especially considering there is a mandatory daily service charge added per day anyway - it's $100 here there and eveywhere!

Do you know Jane McDonald?

Excellent, trendsetting vocal artiste, 

• Haha 1

With regards to working in hospitality, the shitty customers are often subjected to what's known in the trade as 'Tw4t tax'.

If they're coming up ordering big rounds, or have a tab running, you'd generally add a few pints on to their bill for the staff to have afterwards.

The golden rule is though, you only do it to the absolute arseholes, never anyone else.

And you'd really have to rub me up the wrong way for it to be applied.

I've had some horrendous run ins with customers in pubs.

Once, one woman was absolutely screaming at me across the bar, giving me proper abuse, over the slightest trivial thing.

She didn't want to speak to me anymore and insisted on speaking to the manager.

I said "OK, give me 1 minute"

I walked in to the glass wash area, said to the team "watch this"

Then walked back out and said to her "How can I help? I understand you wanted to speak to the manager?" 

The look on her face was priceless as she hastily made her way to the exit lol

Edited by tom27111
  • Haha 1