Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

New Scam - Please Read

So, there are accounts out there that are currently following people then DMing them. - Edit: Mainly on Instagram.

The message starts off with,

Hi/Hello 👋

Followed by the below. 

Sorry for the random question if you were given the amount of £700 what will you do with it be honest! 

Me and a friend have had abit of fun with them today stringing them along but they basically want your bank details or PayPal to transfer you this '£700'. Please don't fall for it, just report the accounts and spread the awareness among family and friends. 

Too many dickheads out there. Absolute scum of the earth. 

Edit: More info, they'll say something along the lines of my company has chosen you of all people... 

You ask what the Company is and they'll say HFX Company.

Edited by Ashley
  • Like 1

I didn’t respond as I won’t be needing a measly £700 once my shares in a newly discovered diamond-mine, sold to me by a Nigerian prince no less, arrive, with a guaranteed ten fold profit on my investment :D 

But seriously thanks for the alert 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, fazzyfox said:

I didn’t respond as I won’t be needing a measly £700 once my shares in a newly discovered diamond-mine, sold to me by a Nigerian prince no less, arrive, with a guaranteed ten fold profit on my investment :D 

But seriously thanks for the alert 

Snap ! 

what a Co incidence …….

• Haha 2

I used to tell the Nigerian scammers that I was a farmer from Somerset, and I can't keep my slurry on my land any more because of the protests from the middle-class incomers from London and the Ramblers Association, and all the other self-centred do-gooders. I told them if the scammer would let me keep it on his land I would let him have half!

Edited by The Fox Covert
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Fox Covert said:

I used to tell the Nigerian scammers that I was a farmer from Somerset, and I can't keep my slurry on my land any more because of the protests from the middle-class incomers from London and the Ramblers Association, and all the other self-centred do-gooders. I told them if the scammer would let me keep it on his land I would let him have half!

Sounds like bull shit to me

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, browniefox said:

I still to this day can't believe how people willingly give over details to scum like this. 

May be just me being overly cautious but I wouldn't hand details out to anyone I hadn't contacted to buy something. 

Surely anyone contacting you asking for bank details is obviously a scam? 

Just about to post the same thing.

38 minutes ago, browniefox said:

I still to this day can't believe how people willingly give over details to scum like this. 

May be just me being overly cautious but I wouldn't hand details out to anyone I hadn't contacted to buy something. 

Surely anyone contacting you asking for bank details is obviously a scam? 

Personally I treat every email and phone call as a scam until they can prove otherwise. 

Unfortunately, some people are either to trusting or unaware. I recall my mother, (who is mature) getting a call from 'BT' asking to confirm some account information. I could tell from the questions it was a scammer but mother was answering away, until I intervened. 

8 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Personally I treat every email and phone call as a scam until they can prove otherwise. 

Unfortunately, some people are either to trusting or unaware. I recall my mother, (who is mature) getting a call from 'BT' asking to confirm some account information. I could tell from the questions it was a scammer but mother was answering away, until I intervened. 

I know and understand that people do, it just amazes me. My mum almost got caught by a scammer, a man messaging her from Facebook. She was chatting to him for a while, but never in person, spoke to his son though because the guy worked on a oil rig and couldn't call. When I spoke to her she was besotted with him. I explained it was a scam and showed her how it works and that it's been done time and time again. She them got scared and worried about it because they know where she lived. I get it happens, just amazes me how people fall for them. 

It's simple for most, don't give out any details to someone you didn't contact first. 

36 minutes ago, FOXYTALK said:

Got email from Arnold Clark saying my data was breached. I have seen firms on social media to apply for compensation. Is this a genuine data breach and worth the while in applying or ignore?

Request the compensation. 

(It's £700 by the way)

• Haha 1

A company called Opton Telecom based in Croydon, South London, is cold calling people to persuade them to switch their account.

They have a host of bad reviews on Trustpilot

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.optontelecom.co.uk

Their filing history on Companies House, with a paltry annual turnover and just one director, based in India, does not suggest that they have the resources to deliver the service they claim to offer.

They caught my mother by calling several times early in the morning until she eventually gave in, however we have now cancelled the transfer.

I am fairly certain that you need an operating licence to provide telephone and internet services to domestic customers and although I have searched quite extensively I cannot find any evidence that they have any kind of licence.

I think the next step would be to report them to the local council trading standards, Ofcom, or the police as appropriate.

I have stalked the director, a Mr Avishek Dubey, on social media and he seems to be quite ready to dip his finger into commercial activities that he has no experience with. For example, when Covid hit and schools were closed he was touting an online automated school admission application program. Yet he has barely any more followers on his Linked In than I do, and although I have been a member of it for years, it has always been a social media platform that I have never bothered with very much.

Their 'services' are quite definitely a scam so if you hear from them just put down the phone. Or get the information you want out of them and do what I am shortly going to do.

Edited by The Fox Covert
additional information