Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

EFL & DAZN

As an aside, this would leave Sky with JUST Premier League football

Barely any european, barely any international football, no football league, no none league. 

What exactly are they offering up now to justify their subscription? Surely they wont let EFL go?

Unless they're sacking off EFL to buy more Premier League and stave off Amazon and Apple.

10 hours ago, Super_horns said:

You can see fans not bothering to go to games in the winter for example if watching on the box is an option .

I'm sure I've read that games being televised has no effect on overall attendance based on viewing/attendance figures? Could be a bit different further down the pyramid I guess, but generally the people who want to go to games go to games, and those who don't, don't.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Filbert_Ross said:

Didn't think about that. 
Was  there any official research into this ?

No official research - I went Sutton in the midst of WC at the same time a game was on and the crowd was lower. 

So I have just done a quick look at the games in League 1 played over that period and compared them to their average crowd. 

Of the 19 clubs to host fixtures during the three weeks that there was a crossover, 13 were down on their average crowd. Alarming that included dips of 500 at Accrington and 800 at Forest Green which is a worrying percentage of their attendances. Ipswich dropped by nearly 3k and Peterborough by nearly 1k. 

Of the 6 clubs what beat the curve, two notably had bigger than normal games (Burton hosting Derby and Exeter hosting Wednesday). 

36 minutes ago, AjcW said:

As an aside, this would leave Sky with JUST Premier League football

Barely any european, barely any international football, no football league, no none league. 

What exactly are they offering up now to justify their subscription? Surely they wont let EFL go?

Unless they're sacking off EFL to buy more Premier League and stave off Amazon and Apple.

Which brings in another a debate - far too many subscriptions required to watch differing leagues. 

10 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

I'm sure I've read that games being televised has no effect on overall attendance based on viewing/attendance figures? Could be a bit different further down the pyramid I guess, but generally the people who want to go to games go to games, and those who don't, don't.

That was the case according to an EU study but that's not the most useful as England and Scotland are traditionalists to the 3pm kick-off. Games in Spain and Germany for example have always been skewed across the weekend; which then includes its own traditions such as Spanish lower leagues having Sunday late morning kick offs. 

Notably with an international break, non league crowds boomed this weekend. 

• Like 3

I think the blackout is a very good thing but some good points raised above. If they get extra TV money, they should subsidise ticket prices and give more money to non-league clubs

That of course is absolutely not going to happen, the EFL clubs will cream the money, but it is a good idea in theory

1 hour ago, indierich06 said:

Yes agree there .

They already stream quite a lot of games.

https://www.efl.com/how-to-watch/ifollow-and-streaming/

UK Streaming

A selection of Championship, League One and League Two matches can be streamed by Clubs in the UK (comprising of the UK, Republic of Ireland, Channel Islands, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man).

43 Clubs for the 2022/23 season will use the EFL's iFollow platform to give access to games, while the remaining 29 Clubs will use their own platforms..

Access to your Club's streaming service can be found above.

Championship

In the Championship there are eight sets of midweek fixtures which will be streamed by Clubs, excluding Sky Sports selections. These matches will also be shown on the Sky Sports Red Button.

These dates are:

13th/14th September 2022

4th/5th October 2022

18th/19th October 2022

1st/2nd November 2022

29th/30th December 2022

14th/15th February 2023

14th/15th March 2023

18th/19th April 2023

The following Bank Holiday fixtures can also be streamed at the home Club’s discretion, excluding Sky Sports selections:

Boxing Day (26th December 2022)

New Year's Day (1st and 2nd of January (2023)

Good Friday (7th April 2023)

Easter Monday (10th April 2023)

On top of this, there are two extra rounds of midweek fixtures in August that have been moved from weekends in December to make way for the World Cup. These can be streamed at the home Club's discretion. These fixtures will be played on Tuesday 16th / Wednesday 17th August and Tuesday 30th / Wednesday 31st August.

And two sets of weekend fixtures in December during the World Cup can also be streamed at the home Club's discretion. These fixtures will be played on Saturday 10th December and Saturday 17th December.

The following matches are excluded from streaming:

3pm games on Saturday

Any game selected by Sky Sports (excluding the eight midweek games that will be co-broadcast on Sky Sports and on Club streaming)

All Carabao Cup matches

Play-Off matches

FA Cup matches (rights are held by The FA)

League One and League Two

In League One and League Two, there are six sets of midweek fixtures which will be streamed by Clubs, excluding Sky Sports selections.

16th August 2022

13th September 2022

25th October 2022

29th December 2022

14th February 2023

18th April 2023

The following Saturday fixtures, which take place during the World Cup, will also be streamed by Clubs:

19th November 2022

3rd December 2022

10th December 2022

17th December 2022

The following fixture dates, set for the international break, will also be streamed by Clubs:

24th September 2022

25th March 2023

And fixtures on the following Bank Holidays will also be streamed by Clubs:

Boxing Day (26th December 2022)

New Year's Day (1st and 2nd of January 2023)

Good Friday (7th April 2023)

Easter Monday (10th April 2023)

Papa Johns Trophy

All Papa Johns Trophy matches will be streamed by Clubs, except for the Semi-Finals and Final, which will be broadcast by Sky Sports.

5 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Which brings in another a debate - far too many subscriptions required to watch differing leagues. 

Yep, and the consumer is being shafted in the same way that multiple streaming services are shafting them with "exclusive" shows.

That needs to change.

Not sure really. You have to ensure going to matches is still popular, affordable and the best way to watch football. If this can be balanced with decent attendances then that is positive.

I've felt for a while that the EFL had to do it's own thing, sell what it had and generate revenue rather than only rely on Premier League money filtering down. Not entirely sure that removing the blackout is the ideal way but making all matches available is a start. We need to get in the modern world.

• Like 1

Does the UK have more semi / professional teams than others? If so, the blackout removal would likely be the end of some of them. 

Ultimately, I can leave this country and watch almost every game. We’re punished for being in the same country. 

People that enjoy the the live experience will quite happily still attend matches. They won’t want to stay in and watch Cheltenham Vs Walsall. I have all the sport channels now (no idea why) and I don’t really watch that much outside of us now. 

Evolution isn’t always bad. I think long term, this might be a good thing and reset British football. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...