Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The People's Hero

York

1 minute ago, The People's Hero said:

I'm going to be there a few days; any tips? Any must visit attractions/points of interest, pubs, restaurants etc?

Cheers.

Depends on your interests but The Railway Museum and City Walls are good. Boat trip on the river is relaxing. Minster is obviously top notch.

Just now, Foxdiamond said:

Depends on your interests but The Railway Museum and City Walls are good. Boat trip on the river is relaxing. Minster is obviously top notch.

Thank you for this. I'm meeting friends Friday through Sunday, but I'm actually travelling up tomorrow for some meetings. Might have some time Friday morning to explore a bit.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The People's Hero said:

I'm going to be there a few days; any tips? Any must visit attractions/points of interest, pubs, restaurants etc?

Cheers.

Yorvik museum is good. The Shambles a medieval street in town:

Shambles District York | Britain Visitor - Travel Guide To ...

The Railway museum, if you have time and like trains. A walk around the walls of the city. A spectacular Cathedral.

Pubs/restaurants I'm not sure about.

• Like 1

It's a great place.

Quite a few quirky pubs, and tea rooms (if it's your thing, tea rooms, 'Betty's is very good) and obviously the historic elements of it - York Minster is stunning.

Edited by Wymsey
  • Like 1

If you hang about outside after a service, you can get into The Minster for free. I used to live in Yoek so always begrudged getting stung to take people in. The courtyards and buildings around The Minster are beautiful too so make sure to do a full lap. 

Think people have covered most of the must-sees. Walk around the walls, railway museum and The Minster. I used to always enjoy drinking in The Evil Eye lounge. A bit Bohemian, but something different. Blue Bell was decent too but it's been a few years since I visited so might not even exist. 

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

It's a great place.

Quite a few quirky pubs, and tea rooms (if it's your thing, tea rooms, 'Betty's is very good) and obviously the historic elements of it - York Minster is stunning.

It is indeed.

Some years ago we were in York minster and a young child tripped and fell. His mother pulled back up clipped him around the ear and said, 'You don't fall over in church'.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zear0 said:

If you hang about outside after a service, you can get into The Minster for free. I used to live in Yoek so always begrudged getting stung to take people in. The courtyards and buildings around The Minster are beautiful too so make sure to do a full lap. 

Think people have covered most of the must-sees. Walk around the walls, railway museum and The Minster. I used to always enjoy drinking in The Evil Eye lounge. A bit Bohemian, but something different. Blue Bell was decent too but it's been a few years since I visited so might not even exist. 

Is Blue Bell the famously tiny pub? If its the one I'm thinking of its a decent spot.

13 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Cheers.

The Main Street you'll hemorage cash at London esque bar-pub prices... There are however some really great places we found not on the main drag on a crawl.

I'm from York so hit me with any questions!

As if with visiting anywhere, depends what you're into.

Go into and go to the top of the Minster.

They've just refurbished Clifford's Tower so definitely worth going in there.

Do a walk around the river up from Lendal Bridge to the Millennium Bridge.

Chill in the museum gardens. 

Walk the entirety of the city walls - it's not that long and well worth it. 

For food, again depends what you like - let me know if anything particular you're interested in. Thomas the Bakers is a lovely little bakery for lunch. 

Pubs - they are amazing but all cost a bloody fortune now. I'm not sure about the comment about avoiding drinking on the main street as there aren't really any places on the main street to drink. 

A few pubs on the outskirts of the city centre I like are The Phoenix, Rook and Gaskill and Waggon and Horses.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ousefox said:

I'm from York so hit me with any questions!

As if with visiting anywhere, depends what you're into.

Go into and go to the top of the Minster.

They've just refurbished Clifford's Tower so definitely worth going in there.

Do a walk around the river up from Lendal Bridge to the Millennium Bridge.

Chill in the museum gardens. 

Walk the entirety of the city walls - it's not that long and well worth it. 

For food, again depends what you like - let me know if anything particular you're interested in. Thomas the Bakers is a lovely little bakery for lunch. 

Pubs - they are amazing but all cost a bloody fortune now. I'm not sure about the comment about avoiding drinking on the main street as there aren't really any places on the main street to drink. 

A few pubs on the outskirts of the city centre I like are The Phoenix, Rook and Gaskill and Waggon and Horses.

Enjoy!

Thanks mate! Appreciate the advice.