Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

This makes me wonder just how many of our fans and supporters have moved away over the years. As much as it's easy to say Man United's fans are all in London, my experience is that there's a lot of them actually in Manchester (as well as for Man City). 

 

If you think about Leicester, is it a city or county that people stay in or move away from? I left fairly young due to military and it's only in the last few years I've been vaguely close. 

Posted

Good topic! I lost track of things when I moved away from Leicestershire in the early 2000s, which also coincided with losing my parents. To be blunt about the situation, I didn’t really want to engage with anything from home. I lost track with football in general during that time - it was always something I followed along with my Dad, and it just wasn’t the same anymore. I started reconnecting again around the 2011/12 season after one of our cup games was televised - I remember being really confused about there being a Schmeichel in goal for us! 

  • Like 2
Posted
35 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

This makes me wonder just how many of our fans and supporters have moved away over the years. As much as it's easy to say Man United's fans are all in London, my experience is that there's a lot of them actually in Manchester (as well as for Man City). 

 

If you think about Leicester, is it a city or county that people stay in or move away from? I left fairly young due to military and it's only in the last few years I've been vaguely close. 

I’ve left for military and won’t be back. Only go because my parents are still there  and my dad and bro go with his season ticket.

 

My most regular seasons on my own/with friends were probably 07-12. Saw us win league one. Completely missed the PL.

 

Did quite a bit as a kid as well. Bagged a mascot appearance. Went to play off finals and league cups. We were also regulars watching the foxy ladies at FNF. The good old days!

Posted

1976 77 season. I met my lovely wife in the hot summer of 76. Totally bowled over so when the season started if we lost a game it didn't register nearly as much. Then started taking her to games and although still smitten with my wife she understood the weird affliction of Leicester City had come to the surface never to subside. 60 years following Leicester this year and 46 years married. 

  • Like 2
Posted (edited)

First game was 1980 vs Ipswich (lost 1-0) with Jock Wallace, Ipswich had just bough Muhren and Thijssen (spelling). The win at home to Liverpool was memorable though a couple of weeks later, Andy Peake hit a screamer in the 2-0 win. I loved that team and it was the precursor to the Lineker/Smith partnership. I kept on going through the Milne years, but joined the Navy and never moved back, so didn't get to many games. I think one of the last games I went to was Blackburn away in the mid-80s, and the last game I went to was in the Everton end when we lifted the Premier League trophy !! Glory hunter !!

Edited by Costello
  • Like 2
Posted
9 minutes ago, Costello said:

First game was 1980 vs Ipswich (lost 1-0) with Jock Wallace, Ipswich had just bough Muhren and Thijssen (spelling). The win at home to Liverpool was memorable though a couple of weeks later, Andy Peake hit a screamer in the 2-0 win. I loved that team and it was the precursor to the Lineker/Smith partnership. I kept on going through the Milne years, but joined the Navy and never moved back, so didn't get to many games. I think one of the last games I went to was Blackburn away in the mid-80s, and the last game I went to was in the Everton end when we lifted the Premier League trophy !! Glory hunter !!

That Ipswich team  was good

Posted
Just now, Foxdiamond said:

That Ipswich team  was good

Muhren, Thijssen, Eric Gates, Beattie, Mills, Wark, Mariner...from memory

  • Like 2
Posted

Season ticket since 03, been to nearly every home game since and for the last 10 years about 50% of the away games. Only missed half of one season ever to go to South America for 5 months with some mates. It was 2015/16. Last game was Liverpool with the Vardy goal. 

Posted

I missed pretty much most of the 86/87 and 87/88 seasons as I got hooked on Leicester United when they moved to my then village Blaby, was such a laugh going home and away to places I’d never heard of, plus they played some really exciting football. In 86/87 they even won 7 league games in the last 12 days of the season to win  promotion from the Beazer Homes Midland Division and in 87/88 they were top of the Beazer Southern League premier which included the likes of Bath City, Burton Albion , Merthyr Tydfil before falling away. Still saw 3 or 4 home games at Filbert Street though before going back into it full time in depths of the Pleat era. Still think fondly oh those 2 seasons though. Sadly by 1996 the club was no more as the owner found out the guy who was going to buy the club was shagging his misses so just shut the club down, absolutely disgusting he ended 100 years of history. 

  • Like 2
Posted
2 hours ago, Levi Port said:

Season ticket since 03, been to nearly every home game since and for the last 10 years about 50% of the away games. Only missed half of one season ever to go to South America for 5 months with some mates. It was 2015/16. Last game was Liverpool with the Vardy goal. 

I hope you had a blast in South America and maybe found some gold too! Where and how did you celebrate the title? 

Posted
10 hours ago, AKCJ said:

When I was at Uni I had to give up my season ticket which included the 102 point Championship winning season, the Great Escape and the Premier League winning season.

 

Missing out on seeing us pick up the Premier League title was horrendous to be honest. Not fully over it. Didn't get to go to the FA Cup final either.

Snap didn't even get to see the parade. Although I luckily did get the FA Cup final

Posted

My parents were STH’s and I tagged along with them from the early to mid 70’s until I left to go to college in Wales in ‘87. I used to time my weekends back home around City home games. So missed the Pleat years ;)
 

Came back to the county in ‘91 and picked up where I left off going home and away. That lasted until Craig Levein, my mate lost interest and I was going more and my own, with the football being dreadful. I gave it up. 
 

I just didn’t miss it that much and went pretty much on and off until we returned to the PL. The season we were in league one, Is the only season I didn’t go to a single game, Weird to say it but I just couldn’t bring myself to watch us that level. 
 

Got a season ticket and jumped back on the bandwagon when we returned to the PL. 
 

 

  • Like 1
Posted
18 hours ago, onekeithweller said:

I hope you had a blast in South America and maybe found some gold too! Where and how did you celebrate the title? 

Had a brilliant time thank you, but it meant I did miss a lot of the games. I remembered not being able to watch the Southampton home game, 1-0, Morgan goal. I had no service during or after the game apart from one moment when I received a text saying that Vardy had broken his leg and we’d lost 2-0. Took me a good few hours to get service and found my mate was winding me up ! Horrible few hours that was. Celebrated the win in Cartagena with a crazy night, no one forgets where they were when we won it ! 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Posted

Seeing as it's the anniversary of Knocky's goal today, I actually thought that game was the following day and was hiking without any connection to the internet. Got a bit of a shock when I arrived home at the flat the following day. 

Posted
On 03/05/2023 at 07:56, winteriscoming said:

Wish I’d of seen the Gillies, Bloomfield and Wallace era. On the plus side I missed pleats spell at the club. 

Your lucky l started going then, home and away, but you follow the team, did get better, even now not as bad as that.

Posted (edited)

Followed as a kid quite happily - O 'Neill days, earliest memories being following the 97' cup final on the radio and latterly my Gran (rest her soul) banging the tea tray every time her 'little Guppy' scored - before completely falling out of love with footy due to some playground bullying around the time we came back up under Micky Adams. Kids are shit and I just ended up with a different crowd who I'm still friends with to this day, but who have zero interest in footy. No regrets whatsoever as I missed the bulk of our doldrum years. lol

 

Vague memories of the change to the KP but pretty sure I was already mentally checked out by the 03-04 season (though I do remember Craig Hignett equalising for us against the Invincible Arsenal side... well, the sound of it from afar as we were already halfway down the canal. Dad's fault, not mine). :whistle:

 

Didn't go again until I got coaxed back into it by Dad the season we got relegated to League One, with a free weekend in Blackpool. The trams were off, there was horizontal sleet in a stand with no roof and I had to watch my childhood hero Paul Dickov score to sink us 2-1. It was still enough to give me the bug again, and I haven't stopped going since. :thumbup:

 

Genuinely started to question whether I still want to do it towards the end of Rodgers' reign. That man sucked so much of my passion for the club away, far moreso than Puel at his nadir. Glad to say it's coming back now with Deano in charge, even if I'm going to be watching the games I'm not present at from behind the sofa for the rest of the season.

 

It's a life sentence. :beer:

Edited by OntarioFox
Posted

Those great matches was it 93 or 94 probably got dates wrong that amazing game with Arsenal Bergkamps skill infront of Matty Elliot then the head tennis in the Arsenal box to make it a 3-3 thriller what an atmosphere that was when that equaliser went in the ground shook with joyful fans !

Posted
On 03/05/2023 at 07:46, ceebeefox said:

Ditto! Thank god it’s not just me! I guess that in the 70’s we only had 7 or 8 years to look back on, now it’s 50! But televised matches etc have made the big games and finals commonplace and easily forgettable. Couldn’t tell you who won the Champions League last year without thinking hard!

I've often thought memory works like this. To remember recent stuff you need to bump stuff off the dustier bookshelves of memory. Also with the TV. With only a handful of games being live on TV each year it was easier to remember who won the FA cup each year, etc, as it stood out more.

  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...