Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

We all like to claim brownie points with the loyalty and longevity of our support, but a post by @Rain King  yesterday about the 2003/04 season got me thinking. I had no idea Paul Dickov missed a crucial penalty in a relegation six pointer with Man CIty. That year's a total blank for me - like an embarrassing gap in the CV.  It was my first year in Japan and I didn't have internet access, let alone a contract with SkyPerfect (the company showing English football).  To even find out the scores I'd have to walk a mile to a hotel and sit in their lobby putting coins in the PC slot.

 

I suppose if you had to choose one season to pass you by that might be it. 

 

Anyone else got something similar?  Gap year in Goa?   Nine months in the nick?    Conscription? (one for the over 80s there).

 

Or was it a deliberate withdrawal of support due to the dire state of the club /  sale of star striker /  existence of Peter Taylor?  

 

I'd love to hear some stories. 

 

  • Like 4
Posted (edited)

One of the main gaps ironically is our promotion season in 2013/14. I gave up my season ticket at the end of the previous season after a number of years due to moving away for uni. 

 

I was following the scores (seeing us tick along towards promotion) and managed to attend a couple of games when back. But with limited TV coverage and getting used to the student experience away from home, I actually think that was the least vested I was in a season. In the sense I wasn't actively making sure I watched all the highlights etc. There will definitely be goals and performances that season which I can't recall.

 

Being back in the Prem reignited that though as well as having a bit more sense around time management. My life revolved around City again lol

Edited by HybridFox
Posted (edited)

I can't recall the year but it was at the time we had Rab Douglas in goal,  he caught absolutely nothing and the Football was dire.  I do recall shouting to him during one game 'if it was a Big Mac you would have caught it'  the useless lump. 

Edited by SK3Blue
  • Haha 4
Posted
6 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Apart from the Cup wins over Spurs and Charlton our whole existence between 2004 and 2008 was about as beige and uninteresting as it's possible to be.

I'm the same lol

 

I barely remember some of the players for us. It was so dull. 

  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

2008-2012, I worked in USA and Australia, an although 2011, I lived with a fellow Leicester fan, its hard to remember much until the Watford play off loss in 2013 was it? Bit of a blur between that Stoke defeat to get relegated to league 1 and that. I remember Matty Fryatt scoring a load of goals in one of those seasons.

Edited by Beachyboy
Posted (edited)

I look back and remember the highs of being a supporter when we played under Little, O'Neill, Adams and Pearson as well as since we've been in the EPL but the rest I've erased from my memory! Sometimes I look back at old football video games from the noughties and see players I can't even remember! 

Edited by Sir Shep
Spelling as usual.
Posted
23 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

maybe I'm just getting older but I find my recall of matches and incidents is much worse generally. 

 

Like I can still remember results and FA Cup finals from the late 70's and 80's yet struggle to remember who we played two weeks ago!
 

Now, what was I doing again?....

 

Ditto! Thank god it’s not just me! I guess that in the 70’s we only had 7 or 8 years to look back on, now it’s 50! But televised matches etc have made the big games and finals commonplace and easily forgettable. Couldn’t tell you who won the Champions League last year without thinking hard!

Posted
7 hours ago, kushiro said:

We all like to claim brownie points with the loyalty and longevity of our support, but a post by @Rain King  yesterday about the 2003/04 season got me thinking. I had no idea Paul Dickov missed a crucial penalty in a relegation six pointer with Man CIty. That year's a total blank for me - like an embarrassing gap in the CV.  It was my first year in Japan and I didn't have internet access, let alone a contract with SkyPerfect (the company showing English football).  To even find out the scores I'd have to walk a mile to a hotel and sit in their lobby putting coins in the PC slot.

 

I suppose if you had to choose one season to pass you by that might be it. 

 

Anyone else got something similar?  Gap year in Goa?   Nine months in the nick?    Conscription? (one for the over 80s there).

 

Or was it a deliberate withdrawal of support due to the dire state of the club /  sale of star striker /  existence of Peter Taylor?  

 

I'd love to hear some stories. 

 

Coin- operated PCs? You were lucky! I lived in Japan from 1997 to 2000 and I had to either phone home or wait until the Monday edition of the Japan Times to find out the result of a Saturday game…

  • Like 1
Posted
1 hour ago, stripeyfox said:

maybe I'm just getting older but I find my recall of matches and incidents is much worse generally. 

 

Like I can still remember results and FA Cup finals from the late 70's and 80's yet struggle to remember who we played two weeks ago!
 

Now, what was I doing again?....

 

I find I remember more about my early years of supporting, mid to late 60s because we used to spend hours in the pub post game talking everything about the games we'd just seen.

 

Early 70s, missed quite few of the Bloomfield games as we had 3 very young kiddies. Late 70s started going again taking one of the kids every now and then, no freebies back them for them having the misfortune to witness most of the McLintock season. Started going full time end of the Wallace era not missed many games since then.

Posted

When I was at Uni I had to give up my season ticket which included the 102 point Championship winning season, the Great Escape and the Premier League winning season.

 

Missing out on seeing us pick up the Premier League title was horrendous to be honest. Not fully over it. Didn't get to go to the FA Cup final either.

  • Like 2
Guest Electric Yetis
Posted

Name me any game from 91/92 to 99/00 and I reckon I could give you the score and possibly scorers.

 

From 00/01 until Pearson in 08/09 it all just blends into one, save for the odd pivotal moment as mentioned.

 

 

 

 

Posted

Got based abroad and gave up my season ticket missing out on everything after the Cardiff play offs to winning the championship. Luckily was back in the UK for the great escape season and got my ticket back. But essentially lived off of liams radio streams and soccer Saturday for a couple of years to keep up. 

Posted
4 hours ago, SK3Blue said:

I can't recall the year but it was at the time we had Rab Douglas in goal,  he caught absolutely nothing and the Football was dire.  I do recall shouting to him during one game 'if it was a Big Mac you would have caught it'  the useless lump. 

All I remember about Rab Douglas is the game where he took Theo Walcott out down by the touchline. Came sprinting out his box and proper cleaned him up. 

 

Oh and that he was ****ing awful at goalkeeping. 

  • Haha 1
Posted
1 hour ago, Rain King said:

Name me any game from 91/92 to 99/00 and I reckon I could give you the score and possibly scorers.

 

From 00/01 until Pearson in 08/09 it all just blends into one, save for the odd pivotal moment as mentioned.

 

 

 

 

This for me too, everything from the noughties is just so unremarkable, players, kits, results etc.

  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rain King said:

Name me any game from 91/92 to 99/00 and I reckon I could give you the score and possibly scorers.

 

From 00/01 until Pearson in 08/09 it all just blends into one, save for the odd pivotal moment as mentioned.

 

 

 

 

02/03 and 03/04 I can recall with ease, I think because this is the period where I first started going regular.

 

2004 - 2008 were awful. 2008/09 League One was the first season I really enjoyed as I started going to more away games (as in double figures 10+).

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1
Posted

The Sven season and the one after where Pearson came back just blend into one for me.

 

The FA cup run in 2012 under Nigel probably the only thing that stands out 

Posted

Like many said. 2006-2008 is a bit of a weird blur. Other than that the middle of 11/12 having just moved to London, in a flat share on a mattress on the floor of a kitchen, no internet or smart phone and working 24/7. Used to get the metro the day after midweek matches to find out scores

Posted
3 hours ago, FoxFossil said:

When we sold Lineker, to Everton ffs, that was the end for me.

And then beat them in the opening game of the season - Lineker's league debut for the club - and went on to do the double over them. The rest of the season was almost as dire as this one. At least we survived - just. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...