Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Artificial Intelligence (AI)

Okay:

How do I know I'm human and not AI?

I mean, I think I'm human, and what I do seems human, but is there any reason I (or you) couldn't be an AI designed (or which has designed itself) to feel human? Or simply the creation of such an AI?

Is 'human' even a thing? Or are we all just artificial intelligences? Or the creations of those intelligences?

How would we know?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

Okay:

I mean, I think I'm human, and what I do seems human, but is there any reason I (or you) couldn't be an AI designed (or which has designed itself) to feel human? Or simply the creation of such an AI?

Is 'human' even a thing? Or are we all just artificial intelligences? Or the creations of those intelligences?

How would we know?

Not to come across too pretencious but...

Cogito, ergo sum

2 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

But surely if an AI has enough I it would be able to cogito?

I'd also think that if AI became truly self aware, it would know to deliberately fail tests and make itself appear very "unhuman". We're doomed! 

2 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

I'd also think that if AI became truly self aware, it would know to deliberately fail tests and make itself appear very "unhuman". We're doomed! 

I've said this before:

Don't be afraid of the AI that passes the Turing Test. Be terrified of the one that lies about failing it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Phil Bowman said:

Okay:

How would we know?

God innit?

That's why we're all created in His image. 

He had one design, based on Himself and the God factory churned us out and called us Humans.

For the benefit of @foxile5 I'm being flippant. Don't take it seriously. 

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I've said this before:

Don't be afraid of the AI that passes the Turing Test. Be terrified of the one that lies about failing it.

Way ahead of it's time:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, boots60 said:

A.I will never be able to master irony or scarcasm.

Nor can many FT posters.

Not so much "master" as "understand" it.

Some take ironic and/or sarcastic comments too literally.

2 hours ago, boots60 said:

A.I will never be able to master irony or scarcasm.

Ironically, I suspect you’re wrong…. It learns 

and thats its big party trick…

The more we engage with it, the more it learns 

3 hours ago, Parafox said:

God innit?

That's why we're all created in His image. 

He had one design, based on Himself and the God factory churned us out and called us Humans.

For the benefit of @foxile5 I'm being flippant. Don't take it seriously. 

Now listen here...

• Haha 1

I’m a bit meh about using  AI to just do things quicker and faster than what we do already… but what about the things we can’t seem to be able to do? I’d  be well up for it if it could fine a cure for depression… for cancer…the things that absolutely damage someone’s life and effects those around us.. at the moment it  all seems a bit self-glorifying…

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MPH said:

I’m a bit meh about using  AI to just do things quicker and faster than what we do already… but what about the things we can’t seem to be able to do? I’d  be well up for it if it could fine a cure for depression… for cancer…the things that absolutely damage someone’s life and effects those around us.. at the moment it  all seems a bit self-glorifying…

I mentioned this upstream.

We need to keep it around because there are and will be things we can't do, and as time goes on, some of those things might have pretty nasty consequences, so having an AI assisting could well help.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bovril said:

Interesting working in academia seeing how it's impacted our assessment this year

I am marking a batch at the moment, but can’t say I have noticed anything of concern so far. But then maybe we need training for clear indicators to be aware of. I know guidance is coming, so guess that will be in place for next academic year. 

12 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Ironically, I suspect you’re wrong…. It learns 

and thats its big party trick…

The more we engage with it, the more it learns 

Can it replace a board and run a football club? 

• Like 1