Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
woznotwos

Paul Kitson for Phil Gee and Ian Ormondroyd Derby swap deal

2 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

And notice the atmosphere and noise that 18,000 spectators could generate at Filbert Street without the aid of goal music.

I'd sometimes come out the Kop and my voice would be broken and ears ringing. 

Edited by Vlad the Fox
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Worth it just for that night when Gee turned into prime Ronaldo and rinsed his old team. Alan Parry and Jimmy Greaves on comms. What times.

I know I should let it go but you can’t help compare the sheer commitment of those players to the Lilly livered efforts of those snow flake players last season. 

• Like 2

At the time I was gutted Paul Kitson up and coming striker for two Derby has beens. But they played their part in our recent historty and got us up whilst Derby and their 'Dream Team' flopped in the old Div 2. Wasn't a fan of Bobby Davison that was a step too far he was not great for us and I didn't want a team full of Derby rejects. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Worth it just for that night when Gee turned into prime Ronaldo and rinsed his old team. Alan Parry and Jimmy Greaves on comms. What times.

Enjoyed watching that, some great goals there, football in simpler times no XG bollocks or "as it stands" or "most goals conceded from set pieces" stats rammed down your throat by the Sky hype team or the camera focusing on some celebrity in the stand.

Edited by Tuna

5 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Funny you posted this, I met Ormondroyd in the car park before the game got his autograph and then proceeded to leave it at the ground, i was gutted...but not for long.

1 hour ago, foxoffderby said:

At the time I was gutted Paul Kitson up and coming striker for two Derby has beens. But they played their part in our recent historty and got us up whilst Derby and their 'Dream Team' flopped in the old Div 2. Wasn't a fan of Bobby Davison that was a step too far he was not great for us and I didn't want a team full of Derby rejects. 

I was only 7 or 8 but remember being at the Newcastle home game in 92/93 season and we beat Newcastle who were running away with it. Davison and Lowe scored and the noise was immense.

Edited by Rain King

6 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Ahhhhhhh, when I loved football, and yes I was there!! 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, An Away Move said:

Interestingly none of these players, nor Joachim, Tommy Wright nor Kevin Russell were named in the recent thread about our best Championship players ever. The 90s weren’t THAT long ago! Seems 10 minutes ago to me!

Probably being pedantic, but that wouldn't have been the Championship. Was called Division 2, then 1 when the Prem started in '92

4 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

I love watching the old highlights nights like that at Filbert Street. Would be great if with vr technology they could recreate nights like that put your vr set on and watch the match from where you want with all the old stands and sounds and sights, the bloke next to you screaming at you as we score the injury time winner. 

My favorite ever game at Filbert Street was a Wednesday evening 5-0 Win against Cambridge United semi final play off victory. And them getting back in time to see the highlights on ITV!! What a game that was…

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MPH said:

My favorite ever game at Filbert Street was a Wednesday evening 5-0 Win against Cambridge United semi final play off victory. And them getting back in time to see the highlights on ITV!! What a game that was…

That was an unbelievable knight, to be 5-0 up in a semi final after all the dross that had gone on in the previous years was fantastic. The stadium was absolutely bouncing that night, all four sides, and Bentleys roof lol 

8 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

That was an unbelievable knight, to be 5-0 up in a semi final after all the dross that had gone on in the previous years was fantastic. The stadium was absolutely bouncing that night, all four sides, and Bentleys roof lol 

my memory is a little bit patchy, but I’m sure that was the night where, to me, I witnessed the best ever save in  a live game during my lifetime. due to some ricochets, their keeper ended up diving completely the wrong way to where the ball was going but still somehow managed to save it…I still can’t work out how that all happened!

Edited by MPH

I remember the Mercury had a line of text on the front cover (I don’t mean the headline) that summarised the big story of the day. That day it was “Little by Little” and I wondered, were they being critical of the manager seeing us take what felt a backwards step or did they mean, in an a**e covering way “ bit by bit” ie we’re building something bringing in more new players. At the time I presumed it was critical but I can see it being a fence sitting comment too.

I thought “Sticks” had always caused us problems to play against but wasn’t ‘t particularly great for us at first, didn’t seem to jump or win as much in the air as he should. His spell as a left winger, running like a new-born giraffe was surprisingly effective but his contribution to the Derby play off final earned further respect. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MPH said:

my memory is a little bit patchy, but I’m sure that was the night where, to me, I witnessed the best ever save in  a live game during my lifetime. due to some ricochets, their keeper ended up diving completely the wrong way to where the ball was going but still somehow managed to save it…I still can’t work out how that all happened!

Can’t remember that but for our first goal I can remember the crowd frowning as Tommy Wrights corner went in low bounced about 4 yards before the goal yet somehow made it through for us to score from, jeers to cheers lol 

5 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Can’t remember that but for our first goal I can remember the crowd frowning as Tommy Wrights corner went in low bounced about 4 yards before the goal yet somehow made it through for us to score from, jeers to cheers lol 

Wright scored it! The corner was really low, think it was Whitlow taking it.

• Thanks 1

For anyone who hasn’t seen it, here it is, I’m sure those that have seen it or was there will love watching it too, I always do.  Really was a special night after years of shit, just after pleat. For me, the rise of Leicester, despite the odd bump, to the trophies and success we’ve had all started this season. Technically the football probably wasn’t as good as today but **** me it was exciting. 

Edited by Vlad the Fox
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

For anyone who hasn’t seen it, here it is, I’m sure those that have seen it or was there will love watching it too, I always do.  Really was a special night after years of shit, just after pleat. For me, the rise of Leicester, despite the odd bump, to the trophies and success we’ve had all started this season. Technically the football probably wasn’t as good as today but **** me it was exciting. 

Loved it what a night.

• Like 1