Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxesWalk

Harry Souttar

18 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

A lifetime of experience in the game, clearly.

Which makes him vastly more qualified than you when judging which players suit his system, sweet-cheeks.  

You have looked at the situation he walked into at Parma haven't you?  And yes he was probably naïve to walk into it.  

But, hey, we all make mistakes don't we?  

I’ve enjoyed this exchange, don’t get me wrong - I’m just still rattled that you are holding Enzo’s football opinion above mine

Not nice to hear.

Still holding firm on my original take though! :D

Just now, JimJams said:

I was referring to MPH saying he might not want to drop down a level.

I appreciate that, but my point was; if he has said “I feel I’m PL standard, and I don’t really want to play in the Champ’ I would not deal with that situation by freezing him out. I would tell him to prove how good he is by playing for us, and if someone comes in for him, then it’ll be discussed 

3 minutes ago, James_lcfc said:

I’ve enjoyed this exchange, don’t get me wrong - I’m just still rattled that you are holding Enzo’s football opinion above mine

Not nice to hear.

Still holding firm on my original take though! :D

I enjoyed it also. 

:kissing:

• Haha 2

Just now, coolhandfox said:

All this chat about Vestergaard over Souttar neither play if Coady is fit.

Add to that the rumours about us wanting another CB, probably tells you all you need to know about Enzo view of both of them.

I guess this would be a good outcome, 

Two from Coady, Faes and THB would be ideal

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MPH said:

it could just be that Souttar has said he has no intention of dropping down to the championship again and that Maresca wants to play people who are committed to the Cause? I could be wrong but i think it might be a similar situation with Daka?

I highly doubt that is the case, maybe there are not good enough or don't suit the system, Daka was playing in the Austrain league and Souttar was a championship player before joining us.

I think they are both good enough to be on the bench though tbh.. if Vardy gets injured then Daka would be fine and Vesterguard is no better than Souttar.

I would be more concerned about Nacho getting injured, no one to replace him for what he offers in this system.

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LCFCJohn said:

It’s baffling how he’s suddenly the best thing going for seemingly no basis other than Enzo is picking him :dunno:

He’s gash. His performances this season have been honking as they have always been. He’s not even looked any better playing at a lower level.

We are damn well fortunate not to have conceded more due to his defending already this season!

No body is/has claimed that he’s the best thing going, difference is that some of us don’t have entrenched views and can see that whilst he’s far from perfect he has done a reasonable job so far. Think we all want to see a better player in the role but are happy to let the manager make the decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

For now, we have been very fortunate defensively due to poor finishing of the opposition. Sooner or later his lack of pace will be costly 

Not like Souttar is able to offer much of a solution to that issue either though, he isn't that much quicker and the moments where the striker has got in behind I don't think Souttar would have caught them either

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

No body is/has claimed that he’s the best thing going, difference is that some of us don’t have entrenched views and can see that whilst he’s far from perfect he has done a reasonable job so far. Think we all want to see a better player in the role but are happy to let the manager make the decision.

I’m not sure how you think he’s been reasonable. Poor finishing from opposition strikers has saved us following his repeated **** ups.

Look, I am one for defending players to the hilt. Across threads all over the forum you’ll see that. Thomas, KDH, Daka, Barnes, Souttar, Iverson etc. If I have lost patience with him and see no redeeming qualities, that says a lot about him. 

And by the way, there’s definitely ‘entrenched views’ on players all over this forum and I’m the last to do that. I’m seeing people on this thread defending Vestergaard ‘because Enzo is playing him’ but calling others players frauds and pub standard etc despite not playing.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hackneyfox said:

There was a reason why Soyuncu hardly played as well. Not sure that it was because he wasn’t good enough, perhaps the same applies with Vestergard?

You claimed that using eyes was why people didn’t like him yet failed to back that up when I pointed out that he’s hardly been played. He’s not great but since coming back into the team he’s looked better than I expected and has made some good passes that have taken out a number of the opposition in one go.

Just asking for a bit of balance when discussing our players and throwing around ‘hate’ is as far from balanced as you can get.

The issue, only from my small perspective is that whenever Vestergaard has played he has largely been poor. I do not think it helps that Brendan wanted him a lot and then dropped him after a few months, plus the fact that Vestergaard had offers to leave last year to good clubs but chose not do so. Maguire is having a similar situation at United and it is far from positive, fans will turn on own players when they see the club they support being hamstrung by their own players. 

Personally I would prefer to see Souttar play over Vestegaard at the start of the season. Vestegaard has only 1 year left on his deal and Souttar was signed for a decent fee, played well in the world cup and has potential to do well for us. I would at least give him a chance as he has more of a long term future with us, and I do not want to see us waste millions on 2 players signed in January, yet they are not even considered for the championship. But that is the result of our poor recruitment again, that's for another topic. 

Admittedly we have had great results so far, and my only fear is that in the Coventry game we could have conceded 3 goals, and in Cardiff they missed a 1-1 chance. We are still conceding lots of chances and only the fact opposing strikers have been poor is the reason we did not concede. Yes Vestegaard can make some good passes but the clear chances we concede is alarming. I do not think we will get away with this defensive set up against top 6 sides in this league. 

However as you correctly mentioned the need for balance discussions, the results have been very good and Vestegaard must be part of that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

Well I’ve seen a couple of passes that have moved the ball forward some distance and taken out of the game a number of opposition players. Not sure how you missed them.

So manager fails to drop

a player you don’t like and he’s the one making the error? Couldn’t be that you’re in the wrong and the manger actually knows best as to which player suits his style of play?

He's maybe hit a couple of decent balls and some have gone for a throw in.

He's a woeful defender and we've been extremely lucky so far , to have 9 points on the board due to poor finishing from opposition players (their fault)

I trust Maresca and hope Coady comes back fully fit and does well as that will stop the argument. 

Nothing will change my mind,until I see otherwise,  that Vestergaard is absolutely bloody garbage in pretty much every part of being a central defender. 

Opposition managers will target him in every game he plays 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, James_lcfc said:

Souttar has?

Apparently so.

Also disagreed with a presence of another defender ahead of him in the pecking order.

1 minute ago, FoxinNotts said:

Publicly? I’m a member of the public, I’ve never heard him say it?

Sorry, should've said within the club environment (training ground).

3 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Apparently so.

Also disagreed with a presence of another defender ahead of him in the pecking order.

First I've heard of this. Doesn't seem in Daka's character to be honest. Figured it was more a case of Enzo not seeing the value of Daka in his system. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Apparently so.

OK.

So it’s something you’ve heard then. I’ve only seen Vestergaard publicly state he’d like to leave so far. Unless I’ve missed something.

I don’t doubt that quite a few would jump ship too given half a chance though.

• Like 1

Harry Souttar saying he doesn’t want to play in the championship ? Surely he hasnt got the balls ? His total contribution to PL football to date is heading over two absolute sitters and being turned around like £2 hooker on a buy one get one free offer by multiple mediocre strikers. 

He also showed up earlier to training. I can’t see it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Apparently so.

I assume the defender is Vestergaard?

2 hours ago, FoxinNotts said:

Spot on. I guarantee, as soon as we lose a game, and Vestergaard has played in that loss, he will have been the biggest contributory factor in that loss. 
It baffles me what any manager or coach sees in him. 

Regardless, i suspect, in your mind, whether that is remotely true or not.

Nothing like keeping an open mind and not prejudging.

2 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

He will be basing his decision on what he sees in training. team meetings and conversations with the player, and if he doesn't think Souttar is up to it then he won't be picked. 3 league games in Enzo is not going to be playing tinkerman management. He will be using those who can implement his system, even if they are doing it out of their natural positions (aka Ndidi).

Its telling that Enzo said we are like 10-20% ready with his solution. I imagine that until that number gets to about 50/60%, he won't tinker (i made the threshold up).  Once the system is embedded and 2nd nature to the team, i imagine you will see him willing to drop players in who can't be the executing leaders of the system. Of course, by then, Souttar will probably be playing for Rangers.

He going to be one dogged Italian.  Its something we are going to have to get used to.

Which, bringing everything full circle, is what Rodgers did leading to Vestergaard and Cags being frozen out.... :ph34r:

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

All this chat about Vestergaard over Souttar neither play if Coady is fit.

Add to that the rumours about us wanting another CB, probably tells you all you need to know about Enzo view of both of them.

I'm inclined to side with this summing up - clearly Enzo trusts Vestergaard more than Souttar, whilst knowing that he's just a placeholder for Coady or, at best, a back up.

In today's presser Maresca seems to have gone into a Rodger's-esque campaign of bigging up everybody on the fringes - players like hamza and JJ and vestergaard - when realistically, certainly in the long term,  it seems extremely unlikely he sees any of them as regular first team players, or even squad members, if we go back up.

It all seems a bit transparent and fake, but i guess it helps confidence and/or encourages people to come in and buy them.