Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxesWalk

Harry Souttar

7 hours ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Stoke don’t play an expansive style of football, Souttar looks to excel in a low block defensive style, which just shows what an absolute car crash our recruitment was in January. It’s clear he was identified due to his height and physicality, we were honking at defending and attacking set pieces so we have identified a player who is tall and gives a presence in both areas, but without really identifying that he doesn’t really fit in a defence that wants to play a high line.

Absolutely amateurish from top to bottom for this signing to have been identified, ratified and completed. Feel for Souttar as he has clearly been thrown under a bus by the manager at the time who has identified a profile of player that does not fit with our style of play. The similarities with Vestergard are unbelievable. 

Isn’t that an exact ‘ditto’ of the Vestegaard signing. Brendan spoke about needing more physical presence at the back, we went out and bought that lump seemingly forgetting that we play a high line and he’s an absolute sitting duck when we lose possession … 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, MalletFox said:

Isn’t that an exact ‘ditto’ of the Vestegaard signing. Brendan spoke about needing more physical presence at the back, we went out and bought that lump seemingly forgetting that we play a high line and he’s an absolute sitting duck when we lose possession … 

The latter part of your comment is what terrifies me if he starts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

The latter part of your comment is what terrifies me if he starts. 

Yeah agreed, we’re gonna see some calamitous goals conceded this season for sure because how we want to play. Regards Vesty’s lack of pace, I think/hope Hermansen is going to be a better keeper/sweeper than we’ve had before, again, I’m convinced there’s gonna be some bum twitching moments with that happening but hopefully he can help minimise how much Vesty is exposed!

• Like 1

I know people keep going on about Vestegaard being part of that defence that conceded 9 against us, but in all fairness it was down a player after Bertrand got sent off 10 minutes into the game. I'm not in any way defending Vestegaard ability as he's not shown any signs of being a solid defender and his attitude has been less than satisfactory, which has further alienated the fans. However, once again recruitment was poor. Vestegaard is ok in a low block defence, but playing him in a high line defence that Rodgers wanted to deploy was never going to work. Whoever thought he was going to be the answer to our problems made a very serious error of judgement or just panicked.

10 hours ago, Scotch said:

Could see him going to Rangers if they could stump up enough cash. They need a defender, he's Scottish, he could bunk up with his brother...

But look at the lengths he has gone to disassociate himself from Scotland. He has gone to play his international football literally on the other side of the world and voluntarily went to live in Stoke-on-Trent :dunno:

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, Scotch said:

Could see him going to Rangers if they could stump up enough cash. They need a defender, he's Scottish, he could bunk up with his brother...

Funny you should mention that as I heard just before the window started the Rangers were enquiring about Faes!

On 06/08/2023 at 07:00, Tom12345 said:

But Souttar is way better than Vesty. Vesty is really a coach and gets turned easily. Souttar is much more agile than he looks and has proven to be much better than Vesty. Can’t believe we are now talking about Vesty being an important player. He was part of the defence that got beaten by us by 9-0 and I still remember how easily Nacho turned him that game. Souttar is way better, younger and should be nurtured instead of playing someone who has a year left on his contract and is proven to be shxt. It would be a commercially bad decision if anything else.

Not trying to defend Vesty as I agree that he is terrible, but he definitely wasn't turned easily by Nacho in the 0-9 game. Nacho wasn't even on the bench in that game, let alone starting! Also, Vesty was actually subbed at half time when the was "only" 5-0 so we can't blame him for all 9 goals!lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

You should probably make peace with the fact Vestergaard is staying. 

He's valued for his ability to ping diagonals out to the channels. 

Hopefully he'll grow in confidence and improve defensively as he settles. 

In fairness, I do think he was quite harshly rated yesterday. He made a couple of blunders but he also recovered from a couple well too and made some good tackles and interceptions.

The times he looked "worst" were actually when the midfield completely evaporated in front of him because Ricky had gone "back" to RB and Winks was caught further up the pitch with nobody else covering the space. 

That's all stuff that should hopefully improve. Right now the team are being asked to attack and defend in two completely different shapes and play some highly unorthodox roles. It's a lot to learn and we've had barely any match practice. 

Not sure what game you were watching yesterday - he was woeful yesterday. 

I disagree with your point about diagonals. 

If we are planning to play the way we did yesterday its clear to see Vesty will get exposed. I'm sure we'll bring in someone else going forward 

Not sure where Souttar is likely to go. Surely nobody but the relegated sides could realistically afford him. I don't see anyone in the Premier League that would really go for him.

Maybe a loan somewhere like Sunderland/Ipswich/Cov level?

6 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Not sure where Souttar is likely to go. Surely nobody but the relegated sides could realistically afford him. I don't see anyone in the Premier League that would really go for him.

Loan with us covering a solid chunk of his wages (like, 40, 50%) wouldn't surprise me. 

He walks in to half the teams in the league tbh. Seems a no brainer for anyone that wants a CB. Known quantity at this level. 

• Like 1

Apart from Fofana, this Club has a recent history of playing oil-tankers in CB positions.  A priority for the future should be to try and find a young and quick ball playing centre back from a league outside of the UK.  Or convert JJ.......  

13 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Predictable talk about Celtic now but I could see it. They've still got £15m of the Jota transfer fee before they touch the net spend for this season. 

Not sure they would be willing to do that but they've certainly got the option. 

Rangers need a CB too. I can definitely see him going home. 

About 0% chance he goes to Scotland permanently. 

Celtic and Rangers* record all time fees are close to what we paid for Souttar less than a year ago, their record fees for CBs are probably half of that. He's under contract for FIVE more years. There's no way we're throwing him away for an immediate loss right now and neither of the Old Firm clubs are going to pay eight figures for an agricultural centre back on big wages. 

I dont think we'll sell him full stop unless someone offers us profit which I don't think they will. It makes sense for us to farm him out on loan for as much of a loan fee / wage contribution as possible and hope that his value grows with good performances. 

(*in Rangers case it was 18m nearly 25 years ago in their zenith, they haven't paid more than £7 for a player in the last decade.)

Edited by Finnegan

37 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Apart from Fofana, this Club has a recent history of playing oil-tankers in CB positions.  A priority for the future should be to try and find a young and quick ball playing centre back from a league outside of the UK.  Or convert JJ.......  

We have also had an ongoing history of being vulnerable at set pieces and corners and those super tankers Morgan and Huth were definitely not that.