Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxesWalk

Harry Souttar

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

You should probably make peace with the fact Vestergaard is staying. 

He's valued for his ability to ping diagonals out to the channels. 

Hopefully he'll grow in confidence and improve defensively as he settles. 

In fairness, I do think he was quite harshly rated yesterday. He made a couple of blunders but he also recovered from a couple well too and made some good tackles and interceptions.

The times he looked "worst" were actually when the midfield completely evaporated in front of him because Ricky had gone "back" to RB and Winks was caught further up the pitch with nobody else covering the space. 

That's all stuff that should hopefully improve. Right now the team are being asked to attack and defend in two completely different shapes and play some highly unorthodox roles. It's a lot to learn and we've had barely any match practice. 

Souttar is a fairly decent passer though isn't he? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

I think most would agree that having Kante in front of the pair more than compensated for their lack of pace and mobility.   

We are poor in the air both defensively and in attack. It will cost us goals at both ends this season. When you find a ball playing CB who can dominate in the air start thinking £50 million.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Eh :dunno:

Nothing to write home about. It's not why we signed him. 

Screenshot_20230807_122648_Chrome.jpg

Surprising thought it was a bit better than that, Vestergaard's long passing is the main difference, Souttars short and mid range passing isn't miles worse.

Just now, Tommy Fresh said:

Surprising thought it was a bit better than that, Vestergaard's long passing is the main difference, Souttars short and mid range passing isn't miles worse.

Vestergaard is in the team to play two passes in particular. He plays a good diagonal which is meant to release the wingers. He's more consistently accurate with that than I've ever seen Faes or Souttar be. He's also very good and very confident playing a vertical pass in to midfield to break the lines.

Souttar and Faes are decent on the ball to a point, they're both fairly confident trapping it and spreading it to the full backs or laying it off to a dropping midfielder. But Vestergaard is much better at threading it through and actually playing progressively through the opposition. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

We have also had an ongoing history of being vulnerable at set pieces and corners and those super tankers Morgan and Huth were definitely not that.

Rewriting history somewhat. We conceded a fair few goals from set pieces in the first half of the title-winning season. We also conceded from crosses and set pieces when we won the championship while Morgan was captain. 

2 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Rewriting history somewhat. We conceded a fair few goals from set pieces in the first half of the title-winning season. We also conceded from crosses and set pieces when we won the championship while Morgan was captain. 

We did , but we all know about Kasper and high balls. Wes and he had quite a few "conversations"  about that.

5 hours ago, mozartfox said:

Apart from Fofana, this Club has a recent history of playing oil-tankers in CB positions.  A priority for the future should be to try and find a young and quick ball playing centre back from a league outside of the UK.  Or convert JJ.......  

I think we’ve been desperate to find a solution to our set piece problem with balls in the box.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mozartfox said:

I think most would agree that having Kante in front of the pair more than compensated for their lack of pace and mobility.   

I actually remember Morgan being deceptively quick.

Huth ran like a (slow) robot, but big Wes could move.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, James_lcfc said:

Morgan was something like the 7th fastest player in the Prem at some point. Ridiculous really. 

8 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Vestergaard is in the team to play two passes in particular. He plays a good diagonal which is meant to release the wingers. He's more consistently accurate with that than I've ever seen Faes or Souttar be. He's also very good and very confident playing a vertical pass in to midfield to break the lines.

Souttar and Faes are decent on the ball to a point, they're both fairly confident trapping it and spreading it to the full backs or laying it off to a dropping midfielder. But Vestergaard is much better at threading it through and actually playing progressively through the opposition. 

Don't dispute any of this. It's just a shame that Vestergaard is terrible at the defending part of being a defender. Easily outpaced, positionally suspect and somehow poor at aerial duels despite being 7 ft 6.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Morgan was something like the 7th fastest player in the Prem at some point. Ridiculous really. 

I am convinced I have a memory of Morgan chasing down someone like Suarez or Aguero, getting back from a corner. 

They had the ball but still in a straight line he was blessed with a great top speed in his younger days.

If we can get a decent fee from West Ham or Celtic then it's a good shout considering he's not favoured.

It is disappointing that we prefer Vestegaard to Souttar, we will need to score 2-3 goals every game at  minimum to make up for all the big chances we will give up with him in defence.

25 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

Don't dispute any of this. It's just a shame that Vestergaard is terrible at the defending part of being a defender. Easily outpaced, positionally suspect and somehow poor at aerial duels despite being 7 ft 6.

I'm not saying I completely agree with it, to be clear. To be honest, I think trying to achieve what Maresca is in general with the resources we have at our disposal is worryingly optimistic. But we'll see.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, James_lcfc said:

Problem is never the top speed, its the acceleration. CBs basically never get to top speed unless they're running back from a corner.

37 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'm not saying I completely agree with it, to be clear. To be honest, I think trying to achieve what Maresca is in general with the resources we have at our disposal is worryingly optimistic. But we'll see.

I think we’d ideally like to overhaul them all. Unfortunately, you can’t do that in one transfer window.