Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Luke Thomas

Best to ship him out if he’s not going to feature.

Enzo needs fullbacks to either move into midfield or a back three neither of which Luke can do.

would prefer him to go to a bottom premier league team or someone we’re not competing in the championship with but beggars can’t be choosers 

It seems that fullbacks bear little relevance in the system that Maresca wants to play. However, this leaves us incredibly short in that department. 

Hypothetically, should Castagne, VK and Thomas all leave (which seems v likely) we will be left with Doyle, Justin and Ricardo. What concerns me is that Justin and Ricardo are injury prone and Doyle isn’t a natural fullback. 

If Maresca genuinely believes that this will be the most effective system, then I trust his judgement. However, this just seems like it has the potential to leave us exposed. What is the plan in the likely scenario if one of the above sustains an injury?

Also, if he does go to Leeds, I don’t see why we would potentially strengthen a promotion rival. I know we have to offload to enable us to sign new players, but surely this hardly helps? Thomas won’t be on high wages and the loan fee that they’ll pay us will be small. 

Edited by Matt_Lcfc
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, FosseSpark said:

Wouldn't see it as strengthening them. And he wouldn't be able to play v us if on loan. 

Agree, it’s not like they are getting a significantly better LB than they would otherwise be able to get anyway. Man United are also desperate for a left back as injury cover. So much so they are reportedly looking at Bertrand… Thomas has put in some pretty good performances vs United if I recall. Stranger things have happened. 

14 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

He’s miles beneath what we need, get him off the books if we can.

That’s just not true…

He simply doesn’t fit in with Maresca ball…. Leeds are getting a good fullback with a decent ceiling for development 

• Like 2

Guest Sideshow Faes
46 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

It seems that fullbacks bear little relevance in the system that Maresca wants to play. However, this leaves us incredibly short in that department. 

Hypothetically, should Castagne, VK and Thomas all leave (which seems v likely) we will be left with Doyle, Justin and Ricardo. What concerns me is that Justin and Ricardo are injury prone and Doyle isn’t a natural fullback. 

If Maresca genuinely believes that this will be the most effective system, then I trust his judgement. However, this just seems like it has the potential to leave us exposed. What is the plan in the likely scenario if one of the above sustains an injury?

Also, if he does go to Leeds, I don’t see why we would potentially strengthen a promotion rival. I know we have to offload to enable us to sign new players, but surely this hardly helps? Thomas won’t be on high wages and the loan fee that they’ll pay us will be small. 

Hardly exposed given we don't play with fullbacks of that type.

1 hour ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

To be fair mate this reads as you saying the system doesn't use fullbacks and you worry that we might leave ourselves short of fullbacks.

The only worry anyone should have really is the longevity of Maresca as manager. If you believe he'll be with us for a decent amount of time and prove successful then he can ship out whoever he wants.  If you err on the side of caution and worry we're shipping out players and Enzo gets the boot and a new manager would have found these players ideal then yeah, it might seem like this was all a bad move. But you can't really operate like that can you?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wolfox said:

That’s just not true…

He simply doesn’t fit in with Maresca ball…. Leeds are getting a good fullback with a decent ceiling for development 

I’ve always thought it looked much like an U16s player trying to play in the men’s league 🤔 

Wherever he goes he needs to be first choice. Needs to have a full season playing regularly for his development.

I'd rather we loan him to Leeds than sit on a Premier League bench. 

Edited by Guesty

21 hours ago, Sideshow Faes said:

Hardly exposed given we don't play with fullbacks of that type.

So what happens in the *likely* scenario that teams workout how to play against us? Having no fullbacks will mean that we will be limited in how we can play. 

Guest Sideshow Faes
3 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

So what happens in the *likely* scenario that teams workout how to play against us? Having no fullbacks will mean that we will be limited in how we can play. 

We're not suddenly going to change our system. That's not how modern football management works. Patience and trusting the process is what you'll be asked for. We aren't suddenly going to start playing Luke Thomas as a traditional left back. You can't keep him here, wrecking his career, just in case Enzo suddenly decides that the future of football is 4 at the back. 

5 minutes ago, Sideshow Faes said:

We're not suddenly going to change our system. That's not how modern football management works. Patience and trusting the process is what you'll be asked for. We aren't suddenly going to start playing Luke Thomas as a traditional left back. You can't keep him here, wrecking his career, just in case Enzo suddenly decides that the future of football is 4 at the back. 

I think the point is more if Enzo doesn’t work out. Of course it’s looking good at the moment and I’m very impressed at how he has got 5 wins from 5 with an uncertain team, incomings and outgoings and whilst managing to start imprinting the identity quickly. But football is fast moving and fickle. What is we had a massive reversal of fortunes and he was sent on his way? I think it’d take a massive change in circumstances don’t get me wrong after how much we are putting in. Or if he got poached in a few months?

My point basically, is if we are kidding ourselves the future of football generally is not having fullbacks, that is incorrect. It is a Pep and therefore Enzo thing. Literally any other manager and we’d be up shit creek needing massive recruitment again. 

Guest Sideshow Faes
12 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

I think the point is more if Enzo doesn’t work out. Of course it’s looking good at the moment and I’m very impressed at how he has got 5 wins from 5 with an uncertain team, incomings and outgoings and whilst managing to start imprinting the identity quickly. But football is fast moving and fickle. What is we had a massive reversal of fortunes and he was sent on his way? I think it’d take a massive change in circumstances don’t get me wrong after how much we are putting in. Or if he got poached in a few months?

My point basically, is if we are kidding ourselves the future of football generally is not having fullbacks, that is incorrect. It is a Pep and therefore Enzo thing. Literally any other manager and we’d be up shit creek needing massive recruitment again. 

Ultimately you either go all in with your new manager's philosophy or you don't. 

We can't keep paying players, reducing what's left on their contracts and therefore their transfer value, while not using them. We have to sell him.