Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

Recycling, The Confusion.

Recently I have been trying harder to recycle correctly.

It's a bit of a minefield for consumers. (Effectively everyone).

Glass, plastic (not hard), cardboard etc. All the things we are already pretty much recycling already. Then I looked more at the packaging, in particular food packaging from things like ready packed salad, fruit and vegetables. Also crisps and other snacks.

Almost all of these I assumed could be recycled in our blue bin. But I found this symbol which I wasn't aware of before.

image.png.01d7aac39f3a229696f740cce86498c8.png

Now it seems I need a 5th bin to go alongside our general waste, recycling, garden waste, and compostable food waste bins to accommodate stuff that has to go to a "large" supermarket.

Surely it can be easier. 

I feel there's too much onus on the individual to recycle correctly which creates an adverse response of just "bung it in the bin" because that's the easy option, particularly for the elderly, housebound and the lazy.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

Maybe I should put this in the unpopular opinions thread :D. but where I live we get a whole separate full size wheelie bin for recycling. We don’t have the set up to separate our recycling  but I’d be reluctant to, even if we did..  don’t get me wrong , I recycle what I can but I understand our local council makes a lot of money out of recycling- it’s a good income for them and  considering this, I feel they should sort through it themselves.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Then I looked more at the packaging, in particular food packaging from things like ready packed salad, fruit and vegetables. Also crisps and other snacks.

Almost all of these I assumed could be recycled in our blue bin. But I found this symbol which I wasn't aware of before.

This is for soft plastics. Which basically means anything that you can scrunch up in your hand that will try to spring back into shape when you let it go. Pretty much all major supermarkets have a big recycling container for these somewhere near the entrance. It's where I take things like empty pet food sachets and crisp multipack bags etc. The main issue I have is remembering to take them with me when I go for the weekly shop.

• Like 1

It isn't ideal and we only have two separate recycling bins.

But for those soft plastics referred to in the OP, we just put the first one on the side after it's been rinsed out and dried, then put all other ones inside until it's about bursting and then take it round the co-op nearby when we next need to go.

A bit of a ball ache but I'm not buying a separate bin for them.

3 hours ago, Parafox said:

Recently I have been trying harder to recycle correctly.

It's a bit of a minefield for consumers. (Effectively everyone).

Glass, plastic (not hard), cardboard etc. All the things we are already pretty much recycling already. Then I looked more at the packaging, in particular food packaging from things like ready packed salad, fruit and vegetables. Also crisps and other snacks.

Now it seems I need a 5th bin to go alongside our general waste, recycling, garden waste, and compostable food waste bins to accommodate stuff that has to go to a "large" supermarket.

Surely it can be easier. 

I feel there's too much onus on the individual to recycle correctly which creates an adverse response of just "bung it in the bin" because that's the easy option, particularly for the elderly, housebound and the lazy.

Couldn't agree more. It's a pain and you're not sure if you're putting the right items in the right boxes/binbags. We've got 5 I think for different stuff. Where we used to live we had 1 recycling bin and everything could go in it. We recycled a lot more then.