Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

Would you support a "Super League"?

Would you support a "Super League"?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support a "Super League"?

• Yes, under the right circumstances
    • No, never

6 hours ago, AKCJ said:

You only think that because of the name and the 2021 concept that was unanimously hated.

There's plenty of room for a revised European competition that takes power away from UEFA and gives it to the clubs themselves.

Clubs are already whining about the amount of games where is this super league going to fit in ?

17 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Is the Premier League not essentially a super league within the traditional system?

Luton are in it, no way. The PL is the exact opposite of the super league, it is pure meritocracy. Some dudes who mess around in films have bought a football team in an old coal mine and could get in the PL

22 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Champions League money isn't that big. I'm pretty certain that the Champions League winner would get about a half of what 20th in the Premier League would get.

We took home £70m before you even factor in extra sponsorship money, ticket money etc from the champions league, total turnover in 2016 was 128m. It's a huge amount of money and getting it allows them a huge competitive advantage over those not getting it.

13 minutes ago, Babylon said:

We took home £70m before you even factor in extra sponsorship money, ticket money etc from the champions league, total turnover in 2016 was 128m. It's a huge amount of money and getting it allows them a huge competitive advantage over those not getting it.

Yeah but it's not that much of a disparity between the Premier League and the Champions League now. When we won the league we got £93m, we got £106m last season for being relegated.

Real Madrid got £54m in 2016 for winning the UCL. Man City got £73m for winning it last season (prize money).

The financial disparity comes from the fans of these clubs and the way they're marketed and sold to the world (coupled with the financial doping of Man City and Chelsea to be able to compete with United, Liverpool and Arsenal).

In February last year Liverpool announced a revenue of nearly £600m yet the absolute maximum they could get in prize money/tv money etc would be about a third of that.  It's impossible for a club outside of the "big six" (i'd even struggle to include Spurs in that) to compete with that sort of revenue. It's not something you can get to with natural growth. You either need "do a Leicester" but sustain it for a good 5-10 years or get yourselves owned by some trillionaire sheikhs (and i'd argue with the new rules, it's even more impossible to get yourself to that level with sheer spending).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Luton are in it, no way. The PL is the exact opposite of the super league, it is pure meritocracy. Some dudes who mess around in films have bought a football team in an old coal mine and could get in the PL

There in lies the essence of the pyramid system in this country. No doubt some of snotty owners of so called big six see it below them to have play Luton and Burnley and even us or Southampton before we messed up. 

• Like 1

The only way I'd accept a super league is if any teams involved were kicked out of their domestic leagues and banned from other European Competitions

or

If any players who play in the super league are then subsequently banned from playing for their International sides, in an attempt to deter the players from wanting to play in such a blatant money grabbing competition. It would show the world that those players are interested only in money and not professional pride

No,no,no..

The CL is our super league competition Thats enough..

But most of the big clubs around Europe have said No,

from terraces to Boardroom..

Its some idea from a rich fluty,convincing big mate contacts in

3-4 clubs….Trying to keep pressing until he finds some more yeses.

Its like a 3rd degree treatment,that isn’t hitting the right buttons,but the

mafia baron  isn’t listening, He is still trying his hard guy, tactics

because the moron spoilt  brat cant take no for an answer…

If it goes down, future supporters have to decide.If my club remains

humble and competes in the traditional way,I would carry on my support,

If they fall in linewith a super league…140yrs down the drain…!!!
The PL was an intern process,whether right or wrong it didn’t change too much,working within traditional but modern rules..

Extended society with CL ,more than the champions, depends on your 

opinion and perspective.Also creating other European cup competitions,is not

abusingtraditional ways,it’s keeping within a certain sanctury of league position qualification…creating a super league cuts out the natural competition and creates

elittism..

I'm at the point where I actually want it to happen, inasmuch as I want the greedy scummers involved to leave "real" football for the rest of us and realise, as first China and now Saudi Arabia is finding out, that money will never buy the established magic of the game present in the world game where it has grown organically. When the sponsors pull out and the league collapses, I then want them to come cap-in-hand squirming and begging to be allowed back into the fold, and having to do so from the bottom of the ladder when both the EPL and EFL tell them to do one. Coalville Town vs. Manchester United in the 2029-30 National League North will be a blast.

So yes, the chaotic neutral in me wants it to happen. But for the sake of the poll, and because I want it to crash and burn and will never watch it if it does come into being, I chose "no, never".

• Like 2

Ideally, I would like for the big clubs to piss off.

The thing is, real "top club" football fans won't go for it. Although they would enjoy being in the superleague, they want to see their clubs play at villa, west ham etc  Real fans likely cant afford the travel costs that will come with a super league (alone) and eventually start supporting another english club (IMO).

It might be good for those rich/"doing well" fans or of course international fans.

Personally, i think we need less European games or competitions. Champions league should be for that "champions" only. 

We have the league cup and fa cup for the rest of the clubs to win.

Greed wont let that happen though.

On 19/01/2024 at 12:57, AKCJ said:

Yeah but it's not that much of a disparity between the Premier League and the Champions League now. When we won the league we got £93m, we got £106m last season for being relegated.

Real Madrid got £54m in 2016 for winning the UCL. Man City got £73m for winning it last season (prize money).

The financial disparity comes from the fans of these clubs and the way they're marketed and sold to the world (coupled with the financial doping of Man City and Chelsea to be able to compete with United, Liverpool and Arsenal).

In February last year Liverpool announced a revenue of nearly £600m yet the absolute maximum they could get in prize money/tv money etc would be about a third of that.  It's impossible for a club outside of the "big six" (i'd even struggle to include Spurs in that) to compete with that sort of revenue. It's not something you can get to with natural growth. You either need "do a Leicester" but sustain it for a good 5-10 years or get yourselves owned by some trillionaire sheikhs (and i'd argue with the new rules, it's even more impossible to get yourself to that level with sheer spending).

The extra Champions League money has enabled those teams to pretty much cement themselves in the top 6 spaces, winning all the trophies. Which has then enabled them to market themselves worldwide far more easily. Look at the league finishes of the likes of Arsenal and Spurs pre champions league kicking off. You might not think an extra £60-£100m a season is a lot, but it's absolutely massive when it's consistently happening. 

On 20/01/2024 at 22:17, OntarioFox said:

I'm at the point where I actually want it to happen, inasmuch as I want the greedy scummers involved to leave "real" football for the rest of us and realise, as first China and now Saudi Arabia is finding out, that money will never buy the established magic of the game present in the world game where it has grown organically. When the sponsors pull out and the league collapses, I then want them to come cap-in-hand squirming and begging to be allowed back into the fold, and having to do so from the bottom of the ladder when both the EPL and EFL tell them to do one. Coalville Town vs. Manchester United in the 2029-30 National League North will be a blast.

So yes, the chaotic neutral in me wants it to happen. But for the sake of the poll, and because I want it to crash and burn and will never watch it if it does come into being, I chose "no, never".

Joining the Super League does not in their plans mean leaving the PL it's instead of the Champions League and separate from UEFA. So they can keep all the money generated.

4 hours ago, davieG said:

Joining the Super League does not in their plans mean leaving the PL it's instead of the Champions League and separate from UEFA. So they can keep all the money generated.

Depends if the PL would feel the same way. Might even have a few sides refusing to play games against them.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Football snobbery keep the rift raff clubs out and make sure the huge clubs just get richer and richer

No doubt even if and when we get back to Premier League we would not be invited by the snobs to the so called Super League. League Champions 2016 and F A Cup Winners 2021 plus Community Shield.  Spurs would be involved despite no trophy for 16 years.

whilst everything about a super league is gross, what I would be fine with, is an additional summer tournament. Basically a quick fire champions league. Boosts income for the greedy lot, a champions only (or runners up) would be my preference.  Winners from  the top leagues over the last few years. 

Cram them inbetween euros and world cup years. So essentially 2 teams from the top 16 leagues. ( 2 winners or best placed runners up points combined). Adds some excitement to the blank summers and hopefully gets rid of the abomination that is the european friendly tournament.

I don’t think people would mind that, if they host them wherever they want, as it doesn’t effect the traditional game. If the people in charge of this initiative were smarter and less greedy they could have easily created something tangible and very lucrative for themselves (if… and it’s a big if, they are doing well enough on the pitch to deserve it) 

Edited by Lambert09

1 minute ago, Lambert09 said:

whilst everything about a super league is gross, what I would be fine with, is an additional summer tournament. Basically a quick fire champions league. Boosts income for the greedy lot, a real champions only would be my preference.  Winners from  the top leagues over the last few years. 

Cram them inbetween euros and world cup years. So essentially 2 teams from the top 16 leagues. ( 2 winners or best placed runners up points combined). Adds some excitement to the blank summers and hopefully gets rid of the abomination that is the european friendly tournament.

I don’t think people would mind that if they host them wherever they want as it doesn’t effect the traditional game. If the people in charge of this initiative were smarter and less greedy they could have easily created something tangible and very lucrative for themselves (if… and it’s a big if, they are doing well enough on the pitch to deserve it) 

Adding extra stuff to financially benefit select clubs sounds terrible to me.

If they want their mega super league then it should be it's own thing and they give up domestic football.

7 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Adding extra stuff to financially benefit select clubs sounds terrible to me.

If they want their mega super league then it should be it's own thing and they give up domestic football.

whilst i agree, at least you get there on merit. 

Somethings going to happen one way or the other, they want more high profile football in different regions. So i’d much prefer something that doesn’t drastically alter the game. 

It is a load better than the silly mini pre-season tournaments currently put on. 

4 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

No doubt even if and when we get back to Premier League we would not be invited by the snobs to the so called Super League. League Champions 2016 and F A Cup Winners 2021 plus Community Shield.  Spurs would be involved despite no trophy for 16 years.

Even with that league cup win 2008, they hadn't won anything for nearly 20 years prior to that. In the gap Leicester won the league cup twice, Blackburn won the premier league and league cup, Villa won the league cup twice, Middlesbrough won the league up. Spuds for me are not main elite club, big club yes, top eight yes but not top six.

Edited by Leicesterpool

1 hour ago, Leicesterpool said:

Even with that league cup win 2008, they hadn't won anything for nearly 20 years prior to that. In the gap Leicester won the league cup twice, Blackburn won the premier league and league cup, Villa won the league cup twice, Middlesbrough won the league up. Spuds for me are not main elite club, big club yes, top eight yes but not top six.

Good points though painfully they did win League Cup in 1999 against us but we can gloss over that