Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

Would you support a "Super League"?

Would you support a "Super League"?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support a "Super League"?

• Yes, under the right circumstances
    • No, never

Yes. I'm all for the downfall of UEFA.

1. As long as we're talking about a replacement for the Champions League.

2. As long as there is equal/fair money distribution.

3. As long as it's possible for everyone involved to be relegated.

4. As long as it's possible for any team to play in it.

5. As long as it doesn't affect the Premier League.

If those points are met then my only real argument against it is that we'd be losing the history of the Champions League/European Cup.

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

If those points are met then my only real argument against it is that we'd be losing the history of the Champions League/European Cup.

Problem is all of those would make a Super League pointless for the teams who want it. They don't want equal distribution, they don't want the jeopardy of relegation and they (non-English teams) do not like the power of the Premier League in its current format.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

Similar to comment above but that doesn't sound like a 'Super League' at all. Super League means Americanisation of the current setup and that means that at least some of your points wont be met.

1 minute ago, Footballwipe said:

Problem is all of those would make a Super League pointless for the teams who want it. They don't want equal distribution, they don't want the jeopardy of relegation and they (non-English teams) do not like the power of the Premier League in its current format.

I don't think it makes it pointless.

There's a massive gap between what we see with UEFA and what we saw with the 2021 Super League concept. I think there's room for a European competition that is run, broadcast, advertised and funded in the same way the Premier League is.

If they set it up right there's no chance the 2021 Super League founders get relegated in the same way the big six are never even close to getting relegated from the Premier League.

Yes. Once we get the likes of Man City, Utd and Chelsea out of the Premiership, it becomes a fairer playing field. Let the Harlem Globetrotters have their own league (like in Saudi Arabia)  and we can return to proper football.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bmt said:

Similar to comment above but that doesn't sound like a 'Super League' at all. Super League means Americanisation of the current setup and that means that at least some of your points wont be met.

You only think that because of the name and the 2021 concept that was unanimously hated.

There's plenty of room for a revised European competition that takes power away from UEFA and gives it to the clubs themselves.

Just now, AKCJ said:

You only think that because of the name and the 2021 concept that was unanimously hated.

There's plenty of room for a revised European competition that takes power away from UEFA and gives it to the clubs themselves.

I agree with that but the name is the title of the thread. Calling something 'Super' by its nature means Americanising it.

I agree with your broader point on revised competition. Having said that I think with how corrupt many footballing institutions seem to be it may just end with a new UEFA with the same issues.

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I don't think it makes it pointless.

There's a massive gap between what we see with UEFA and what we saw with the 2021 Super League concept. I think there's room for a European competition that is run, broadcast, advertised and funded in the same way the Premier League is.

If they set it up right there's no chance the 2021 Super League founders get relegated in the same way the big six are never even close to getting relegated from the Premier League.

So you're saying they manufacture it so that the big clubs can get relegated, but ensure they won't get relegated? Isn't fixing the league around what the big clubs want exactly not what we want here?

1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

Power and money to the biggest clubs (who we know will run with this) is again exactly not what football needs right now. It's bad enough as it is under UEFA, never mind what happens when it's concentrated in the hands of the big teams who will be in charge. They'll squeeze and squeeze and squeeze.

I'm not sure what big team/anti-UEFA pill you've swallowed, but it's quite powerful isn't it?

1 minute ago, bmt said:

I agree with that but the name is the title of the thread. Calling something 'Super' by its nature means Americanising it.

I agree with your broader point on revised competition. Having said that I think with how corrupt many footballing institutions seem to be it may just end with a new UEFA with the same issues.

But it's only being called that because of the 2021 failed attempt. It's all that people have to go against.

I'd be surprised if any attempt to create a new version of it kept that name because it immediately gets peoples backs up.

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

But it's only being called that because of the 2021 failed attempt. It's all that people have to go against.

I'd be surprised if any attempt to create a new version of it kept that name because it immediately gets peoples backs up.

A fair point although, A22 ran with it again in December didn't they? And added Star, Blue and Gold to make it even more stupid. 

Yes, definitely gets mine up haha

6 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

So you're saying they manufacture it so that the big clubs can get relegated, but ensure they won't get relegated? Isn't fixing the league around what the big clubs want exactly not what we want here?

Power and money to the biggest clubs (who we know will run with this) is again exactly not what football needs right now. It's bad enough as it is under UEFA, never mind what happens when it's concentrated in the hands of the big teams who will be in charge. They'll squeeze and squeeze and squeeze.

I'm not sure what big team/anti-UEFA pill you've swallowed, but it's quite powerful isn't it?

The Premier League is evenly split in terms of funding and yet the top clubs always do better than the rest. It's because they've got the biggest pull to sign the best players and have the biggest fan bases to bring in more money than the rest.

Whatever you think of how that is, it's not going to change. Those sides will always attract the best players. When was the last time the really massive clubs didn't qualify for the Champions League (Outside of England where we have 6 to fill 4/5 spaces)?

I don't think I'm any more anti-UEFA than your normal football fan. It's pretty clear to see they don't value the game, the supporters, football clubs or even their own integrity over money and power.

I'm suggesting that the only way I would support a "Super League" is if it were run like the Premier League which includes fair voting and doesn't give unnecessary power to a small handful of clubs.

Edited by AKCJ

I voted no because, realistically, I think we all know what a super league would look like and "in an ideal world" never happens.  

But if you could trust the body running it and there were no clever loopholes or any nonsense it was just straight meritocracy and basically an extra tier of the period that applied across all of Europe or its top leagues at least? I could maybe go for it. 

But Promotion and Relegation wouldn't really work properly because you do it one of two ways, either you always relegate the lowest ranked team from each country every year so every participating country always has one promotion and relegation or else you just do it "normally" and every year the bottom team drops out and every year you have a playoff to get in and eventually the super league just fills up with English teams cos the Prem is still gonna have more money than Spain, France, Germany, Italy, etc. 

So even in a perfect world it's flawed either way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lako42 said:

I'd quite like football at the top to go pop and have to reset completely. Super league might help that. 

Pretty much my stance.

If it bursts the bubble, fails spectacularly and we get a reset where we can rebuild a better structure from the ground up, then a few years of pain might be worth it. Not dissimilar to the effect relegation seems to have had on us.

However, with the amount of money being thrown about they'll make it work (for them, not fans), so i've got little faith of that actually happening. So would much rather not run the risk and just say no to any super league concept.

I'd never support it. Because fundamentally in one format it cuts off the top of the game and in their latest format it creates a bottleneck so thin, that there is no room for progression. 

However the biggest reason I say no is properly Basketball's EuroLeague. That's an excellent product but its effects to the domestic leagues is grave. That's where they have the idea from. Clubs are on licenses for 3 years - others are wild cards, others through domestic progression. But it's basically as good as closed unless you have quite a lot of money to spend. 

I also don't think UEFA are that bad of an organisation either. In recent years in particuarly they've actually been quite canny - but the new Champions League format is a disaster. 

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

You're right, it's just not what any of the clubs with the power and championing it want. They want it set up so they can f*** over everyone else other than about a dozen team. 

If they ever put anything remotely acceptable on the table, I guarantee it comes with them all having voting rights so that they can slowing reposition everything to what they want. 

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

The Premier League is evenly split in terms of funding and yet the top clubs always do better than the rest. It's because they've got the biggest pull to sign the best players and have the biggest fan bases to bring in more money than the rest.

Whatever you think of how that is, it's not going to change. Those sides will always attract the best players. When was the last time the really massive clubs didn't qualify for the Champions League (Outside of England where we have 6 to fill 4/5 spaces)?

I don't think I'm any more anti-UEFA than your normal football fan. It's pretty clear to see they don't value the game, the supporters, football clubs or even their own integrity over money and power.

I'm suggesting that the only way I would support a "Super League" is if it were run like the Premier League which includes fair voting and doesn't give unnecessary power to a small handful of clubs.

Because they get Champions League money, pre Ferguson and the champions league coming in the finishes were far more random

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

takes power away from UEFA

Better to reform Uefa as there's no guarantee that any replacement likely overseen by the Super Rich clubs of Europe will be any less biased or corrupt. In fact I'd wager they'd be worse.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Because they get Champions League money, pre Ferguson and the champions league coming in the finishes were far more random

Champions League money isn't that big. I'm pretty certain that the Champions League winner would get about a half of what 20th in the Premier League would get.