Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Are we bottlers and do we have a weak mentality?

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

Did we bottle the league title or the cup? No.

You can’t look at everything we’ve bottled without factoring in everything we haven’t. There’s a lot of football to be played yet.

The past 4 years we have bottled 2 x champions league places, and bottled staying in the league so I would say going off that we have a huge chance of it happening again. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

Did we bottle the league title or the cup? No.

You can’t look at everything we’ve bottled without factoring in everything we haven’t. There’s a lot of football to be played yet.

@chapero82
The past 4 years we have bottled 2 x champions league places, and bottled staying in the league so I would say going off that we have a huge chance of it happening again. 

Thing is this club went through a change 7 years ago (I appreciate the cup win came within those 7 years), it's clear to me input from someone high up within the club wanted us to become this 'pretty', total football, possession based side, it's probably purely coincidence but taking us in isolation I personally see a direct correlation with lack of doing the basics right and being the masters of our own downfalls, lack of doing the dirty work and digging in, showing very little grit, steel and determination when the going gets tough, I can't remember the last time I saw players fired up, showing abit of desire and fight - In the last few year we've snatched defeat from the jaws of victory numerous times.

That's not to say 'pretty', total football or being a possession based side is wrong, clearly this season it's worked more than it's not (FWIW i''ve generally enjoyed it, that's not just because we've been winning, i've genuinely enjoyed it, I get it and can see why we're doing it, in this league), but that alone isn't enough, just like 'pashun' isn't enough on it's own.

@Pita

Yes blown a great lead now struggling to get points. Been coming on for a white  dropping points in the last few minutes of a game. 

And this is what annoyed me the other day when people on here and when it was discussed on the BSLB pod, "Oh i'm sure people want us to lose so they can say told you so".

No, it's about discussing an elephant in the room what's the alternative bury your heads in the sand?

I take no pleasure in discussing it but if I see red flags they need to be discussed.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Without any shadow of a doubt. I really fear we have got Tottenham syndrome which becomes a self-fulling prophecy. It becomes reputational.

Was an interesting point Alex Neil made on the latest Sunderland netflix series.

These last 11 games we ideally need some leaders out there on the pitch. 

The likes of Coady, Ndidi and Vardy etc

Our current starting 11 lacks any real leaders. If we want to get over the line then we'll need as much experience on the pitch as possible.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Unsure how this proves your point. But yeah Rodgers, the last three games for us are all his fault.

Lighten up - i was joking. It was funny timing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AKCJ said:

The issue is that the whole club is rotten to the core of a "we'll be fine" mentality.

There's no standards because here's no punishment for failure. The club needs gutting and I think it needs to start with Rudkin.

If Top can't see that then he needs to sell up. 

This is at umpteen levels of the club too. Not just playing side. 

2 hours ago, iancognito said:

What are we bottling? Were we bottling it when we lost to Boro and Leeds before?

We have 4 key players injured, teams have figured out if you stop Mavididi and Fatawu our striker is no threat. We need to tweak a few things and get back to basics instead of trying to overplay and making bad decisions.

People need to stick with the team, stop whining and bottling it in the stands. Every manager has had this pressure from fans in this league - Little, O'Neill, Adams, Pearson all got stick and every time the fans were wrong. At least Pearson had the right idea when he told one or two to fk off and die.

I agree.

I’m just watching the Manchester derby, and it’s uncanny how similar we are to Man City - including what they are susceptible to. Man City have an iffy patch every season, and they usually pull through. I’m hoping we are able to turn a corner and do the same.

In my mind it puts my mind at ease a little, and Man City would struggle if they missed 3 or 4 key players as well. So relax everyone - it’ll be fine! 

Edited by Wasyls Pec Deck
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lesterlad said:

This won’t godown well, but what would our fans prefer a goalie who can pass out from the back as our number 1 goalie can do or a goalie who actually makes saves like his understudy? 

Mads is a good shot stopper imo. It is perhaps something that Stolarcyk is slightly better at, but Mads is not exactly rubbish.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Mads is a good shot stopper imo. It is perhaps something that Stolarcyk is slightly better at, but Mads is not exactly rubbish.

I never said he was rubbish just can’t think of many saves he’s made since the Watford game

21 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

I agree.

I’m just watching the Manchester derby, and it’s uncanny how similar we are to Man City - including what they are susceptible to. Man City have an iffy patch every season, and they usually pull through. I’m hoping we are able to turn a corner and do the same.

In my mind it puts my mind at ease a little, and Man City would struggle if they missed 3 or 4 key players as well. So relax everyone - it’ll be fine! 

Yeah really similar 🤣

How many times have they lost 3 league games in a row in the last few years???

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

7 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Playing style is similar but that's where the similarities end sadly!

It’s all relative. We’ve been as dominant this season as they’ve been. I’m pretty sure they’ve gone 3 times without winning this season, and last time they lost 3 in a row was under Pellegrini. 

10 hours ago, Matt said:

We've won things so we're not bottlers as such, but I don't believe there are many clubs out there that constantly snatch defeat from the jaws of victory as consistently - or make it so hard for their selves in such winning or commanding situations or positions as us.

The bottlejob tag that gets put on Tottenham or other clubs, I think it's quite remarkable outside of our fanbase how it's not been picked up on for us.

Fuck this up and we will not get away with it, biggest embarrassment of all time, we will be ridiculed. 

Not to mention this time we have a massive advantage in the quality of our squad and money available to us. We have no excuse this time.  I mean losing to QPR is quite different to losing to any team in the Premier League.

10 hours ago, Nolucklcfc said:

We were 17 points clear of 3rd at Christmas, it’s now 5. Yes the clubs below us have been relentless but that’s poor. It just feels like they are nervous defending leads and seem to be struggling to deal with the pressure. But there’s been an inherent weakness mentally in this club for the last few years. Bottled CL, bottled staying up, bottled Roma away and now we are in massive danger of bottling promotion. That isn’t all coincidence. It’s why even when we were so clear I wasn’t thinking this was done because it feels like our club more than any other has an unbelievable ability to **** it all up very quickly. Lack of availability in midfield doesn’t help but now we have to stand up and be counted. Players need to stand up. Anyone back us if we fall into the play offs? Absolutely no chance. 

Not to mention this time we have a massive advantage in the quality of our squad and money available to us. We have no excuse this time.  I mean losing to QPR is quite different to losing to any team in the Premier League.

• Like 1

I said it before many many times and I say again. If you keep defending leads when you are in front or even just take the foot off the pedal and pass back instead of forward when you are winning, this is a recipe for bottling and a weak mentality. I said it many times before, do not try to have the mindset of “game manage” unless you are Messi. Go go go all the time.

52 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Playing style is similar but that's where the similarities end sadly!

Although Enzo must have picked something up whilst he was putting the cones out for Pep

Edited by cropstonfox
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

I said it before many many times and I say again. If you keep defending leads when you are in front or even just take the foot off the pedal and pass back instead of forward when you are winning, this is a recipe for bottling and a weak mentality. I said it many times before, do not try to have the mindset of “game manage” unless you are Messi. Go go go all the time.

I miss Murray Walker.