Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Are we bottlers and do we have a weak mentality?

Bottling has no official description. I think it’s more about the lack of a spine which does seem to run through the club. We are not strong in the tackle, poor at set pieces and generally upper body strength is non existent. It was the same under Rodgers so for me we are easy to bully out of the game and it happened again yesterday. Our forwards especially pull out of 50/50 balls against keepers Daka being the worst offender.

You can point towards the two Champions League collapses and last seasons relegation as examples, but more pertinent to me is the evidence from this season. It’s hard to deny that we’ve struggled in the big matches and the big moments.

Β 

If I was to bet on it now I’d bet on us bottling this, as that’s the direction things are pointing, but these players still have enough time to prove that they can handle the pressure.

4 minutes ago, TeamRocket said:

Think we just stuck in one gear and although we are top of league I still feel like we don't have that fearless mentally like we used to. It's honestly feels like we are scared for some reason. Like we're trying to hard, make silly mistakes etc and not hunting our prey taking our hunt home.

Exactly. The BSLB podcast made an excellent point that there's a complete lack of ruthlessness at the club on and off the pitch. We never kill off games when we're ahead, concede too many late goals and can't fight back from behind. On top of this, we can't seem to sell or buy players without a 20 year saga and Seagrave just seems to either treat players like royalty or injure them. If the play off final ended up being us versus Southampton, I think both teams would be so utterly fed up it would be a weird spectacle.

• Like 4

The label can certainly be attached over the last few seasons. In fact there was a time it seemed whoever was playing for or running the club this seemed apt. 4 lost FA Cup Finals anyone?Β  Puts 2015 16 into sharp contrast as I think it still amazing we did not collapse as was feared. Even winning the Cup in 2021 was a total surprise what with our history. Of course their have been other triumphs but we do seem to make regular dives to disappointment a thing.

We have a loser mentality no doubt. This group just give up and feel sorry for themselves. And the sad thing is, over the last 4-5 years, you’re just sitting there waiting for it to happen. The players don’t appear to know how to win when it gets to the business end of the season.Β 
Β 

Said it yesterday, but we have too many of the old guard who were part of the relegation. Need more to leave and more fresh faces in the summerΒ 

3 minutes ago, Gazza3 said:

Ask this question at the end of the season. But if we win the league and FA Cup then there's no need to ask itΒ 

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

My concern is that the really big games this season we appear to have frozen at certain points e.g Leeds at Home and away, Cov, Ipswich home and awayΒ 

Β 

The next 2 games are huge - show the guts, determination and ability shown at Bournemouth and we'll be fine - show the complacency vs Sheff Weds 2nd half, Boro and yesterday and we're in big big trouble.Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 1

So, if we are bottlers or have a weak mentality, where does it stem from? We have a different manager, many of the players have changed, I assume many of the back room staff are not the same. Maybe supporters aren't doing enough? πŸ€”

1 minute ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

So, if we are bottlers or have a weak mentality, where does it stem from? We have a different manager, many of the players have changed, I assume many of the back room staff are not the same. Maybe supporters aren't doing enough? πŸ€”

Many of the players are still the same also.Β 
Β 

Β 

Where are the Schmeichels, Fuchses, Huths and Morgans in this team?Β Warriors who gave their all for every point.

Β 

Conspicuous by their absence, I would say … but there is still time for some to come to the fore and demonstrate their strength of character, Fatawu and Vestergaard being the most likely candidates, Mavididi, Justin and Daka the least.

Β 

If they can’t rise to this challenge, and we fail to get promotion, they will all go down as β€˜bottlers’. There is no getting away from that.

Β 

Β 

• Like 2

We have a bunch of good footballers but very weak mentally and physically.

Β 

Look at the way our lads block shots compared to other teams.

Β 

You can’t always win by playing nice pretty football and they need to realise this quick or else the bottle job tag will be a fact.

• Like 2

I think we have been so used to winning, when we go behind or have to deal with a bit of in game adversity, we completely crumble and the manager doesn't have any other way of playing.

Β 

Score first and score two and we will probably win, concede and it's more often than not game over.

If we bottle this and there are no significant changes in the make up of the club, this shit will continue for many years. The problem starts from the very top and that’s a change that will be far too significant to happen over the summerΒ 

King Power had the directive after Shakespeare, to hire managers who prefer a style of passing rather than pragmatism. This is what I equate to having a weaker mentality, players are trained in one style of play, it’s only logical that they appear to be bottlers because we don’t have a plan B. For nearly 7 years now we have not gone out to explicitly win a game, instead we attempt to play our style regardless of the opponent or the variables that occur on the pitch.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

How is this even a question lolΒ 

Β 

We capitulated twice to bottle Champions League football two seasons in a row.Β 

We lost a game that we were winning in the 93rd minute, against Spurs of all teams who our fans still have the cheek to call "bottlers".Β 

We folded in a relegation battle and went down with the biggest wage bill in history.

Β 

And people have their head stuck in the sand now it's playing out again before our very eyes.Β 

We're playing well though and have a far better squad than everyone else. We'll be fine. πŸ˜€

• Haha 1

We haven’t bottled anything this year. Ask this question if we do drop out of the top 2, but not before. We’re in a rough patch, it’s to be expected in a 46 game season.Β 
Β 

Rodgers bred the β€˜bottling’. Look at Celtic this year. If the lads pull through and win the league this year then the bottling tag is for Rodgers, not the club as a whole.Β 
Β 

Saints lost 4 in a row and then had their run. Plenty of time to see this season out.Β 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

If we bottle this and there are no significant changes in the make up of the club, this shit will continue for many years. The problem starts from the very top and that’s a change that will be far too significant to happen over the summerΒ 

Bottle this year and we will be stuck in this division for some timeΒ 

4 minutes ago, Gevans_97 said:

We haven’t bottled anything this year. Ask this question if we do drop out of the top 2, but not before. We’re in a rough patch, it’s to be expected in a 46 game season.Β 
Β 

Rodgers bred the β€˜bottling’. Look at Celtic this year. If the lads pull through and win the league this year then the bottling tag is for Rodgers, not the club as a whole.Β 
Β 

Saints lost 4 in a row and then had their run. Plenty of time to see this season out.Β 

Celtic the bottlers who haven't lost a game since mid December 🀣

Β 

They've also beaten Rangers twice this season.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot