Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HesNotGudjonsonn2

Car Repair Question

I was driving down the M5 this morning and an exhaust pip broke of the car ahead of me and smashed into my bumper at 70mph. I have some nasty scratches but they are fixible, but sadly a hole in the bumper now.

Does anyone know what this repair roughly costs, will I need a new front bumper and is it something that you go through your insurance for?

Car is a 2016 Jag XF. 

Thanks

Depends if it's worth spending your excess and making a claim (if affected no claims bonus). Did you get details of the other car? 

I'd imagine it'd cost few hundred quid minimum to replace the bumper, let alone paint and labour etc. 

Could you get a quote from a few local garages? 

Edited by StanSP

I'd be amazed if a full bumper replacement was less than a grand, especially on a car like that.

If it's largely cosmetic I'd be looking at repair/paintwork myself, but even that won't be cheap. Even minor bodywork stuff seems to be at least 300 quid these days

It really depends on the amount of damage. Some scaffolders when setting up outside my house decided to leave two scaffold-pole shaped gouges in the back and side of my car.

It wasn't woth the long-term hit to my insurance, they were also just fvcking cretinous, and I just ended up coughing up £700 at a bodyshop to fix it. 

Plastic bumpers can be filled and resprayed, but it's usually not that cost effective. Definitely seek out some quotes from a well-reviewed bodyshop or two, though. 

Worst case, I'd say try Ebay and / or quotes from online breaker search engines for a new front bumper. There's some going for £80. Depending on your car's colour, you might get lucky. Otherwise its the cost of a bumper plus respray.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

New bumper needed.  You could probably claim on your insurance as it was ‘  a third party’ causing it, but you always run the risk of them increasing your insurance with every claim.

you could get it for less than £1500 of you find a garage where the guy has a gammy leg and smokes all day.. other than that, it’s an expensive fix, really..

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

Sadly, I didn’t get the number plate as I was having visions of Final Destination Films and the thought of it smashing through my windscreen.

I have attached an image of the damage below. My car does need a clean, but it keeps raining! 

IMG_1257.jpeg

Find a body repair company. Easily fixable but still a few hundred I would think. 

• Like 3

Looks like some wires have been cut? The purple one looks to be cut? Has anything stopped working, parking sensors, fog lights etc? Might be worth getting a garage to put it on the ramps and have a look? Hope you get it sorted.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, abc said:

Looks like some wires have been cut? The purple one looks to be cut? Has anything stopped working, parking sensors, fog lights etc? Might be worth getting a garage to put it on the ramps and have a look? Hope you get it sorted.

Well spotted! Blue and white 1 looks frayed too.

47 minutes ago, abc said:

5 minutes ago, SeCrEt FoX said:

Well spotted! Blue and white 1 looks frayed too.

Still very easy to fix. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abc said:

His exhaust pipe evasion module has stopped working. I suspect that wire was already severed.

• Haha 2

You might get it cheaper if you can source a bumper replacement on ebay and then go to a spray place to get it resprayed and fixed into place.  Would cost £600 at least though.

Alternatively you could find a scrap yard and get lucky and pay next to nothing for the bumper and then save half that to get it resprayed and fixed into place.

13 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

You might get it cheaper if you can source a bumper replacement on ebay and then go to a spray place to get it resprayed and fixed into place.  Would cost £600 at least though.

Alternatively you could find a scrap yard and get lucky and pay next to nothing for the bumper and then save half that to get it resprayed and fixed into place.

There are spare part / scrap yard places with a central website. You can add your requirements and they'll search for your part.

On 13/03/2024 at 08:01, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

I was driving down the M5 this morning and an exhaust pip broke of the car ahead of me and smashed into my bumper at 70mph. I have some nasty scratches but they are fixible, but sadly a hole in the bumper now.

Does anyone know what this repair roughly costs, will I need a new front bumper and is it something that you go through your insurance for?

Car is a 2016 Jag XF. 

Thanks

I had this last year with a piece of solid perspex.  I hit it a 70 miles an hour.  I was lucky as it had just been run over by a van which lifted it to head height for a second.  It dropped in time and hit my bumper.

The problem you may have is it is not just the bumper that could be affected, you have blocks behind the bumper to lessen the impact oif a crash.  If one of them is damaged then, depending on where they are connected, you could find it a very expensive job.

Did you get the insurance details of the driver whose exhaust fell off?

8 hours ago, Basildon Fox said:

I had this last year with a piece of solid perspex.  I hit it a 70 miles an hour.  I was lucky as it had just been run over by a van which lifted it to head height for a second.  It dropped in time and hit my bumper.

The problem you may have is it is not just the bumper that could be affected, you have blocks behind the bumper to lessen the impact oif a crash.  If one of them is damaged then, depending on where they are connected, you could find it a very expensive job.

Unfortunately not. Was too busy going ‘WTF’ to get the registration. 

9 hours ago, Basildon Fox said:

Blocks behind the bumper?..

What kind of blocks?