Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bob Weasel Fox

WBA (H) Saturday

18 hours ago, AKCJ said:

I think the team should be picking itself really.

I don't see how it can be anything other than;

Hermansen

Coady Vestergaard Justin

Ricardo Winks

Fatawu Ndidi KDH Mavididi

Cannon

Good to me with the exception of JJ on the left who's a bit of a liability, forever giving the ball away! He is better on the right in fairness. It would be Doyle for me every day of the week. A natural left footer with the ability to play incredible cross field balls when Maresca isn't stifling him from doing so from the sidelines. He and Vestergaard are good outlets for changing the play from the mundane and now predictable in order to start an attack or move the opposition about .

• Like 2

18 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Depends how quick whoever West Broms right winger is, Doyle really tends to struggle when they have the pace to get in behind him

JJ is hardly an improvement though. He's faster but regularly out of position on the left and if he does get the ball, there's a good percentage chance he'll pass it to an opposition player. 

Just now, volpeazzurro said:

Good to me with the exception of JJ on the left who's a bit of a liability, forever giving the ball away! He is better on the right in fairness. It would be Doyle for me every day of the week. A natural left footer with the ability to play incredible cross field balls when Maresca isn't stifling him from doing so from the sidelines. He and Vestergaard are good outlets for changing the play from the mundane and now predictable in order to start an attack or move the opposition about .

Doyle struggles against pacey wingers - so much so that he was taken off at half-time against Birmingham because he couldn't handle Miyoshi. West Brom have a pacey right winger in Tom Fellows. So while Doyle would offer a bit more in attack through his passing, he might leave us very exposed to counter-attacks on that flank.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Doyle struggles against pacey wingers - so much so that he was taken off at half-time against Birmingham because he couldn't handle Miyoshi. West Brom have a pacey right winger in Tom Fellows. So while Doyle would offer a bit more in attack through his passing, he might leave us very exposed to counter-attacks on that flank.

So try in reverse maybe start Justin and bring Doyle on when the pace of Fellows is less affective after say 60 mins when he may be a bit more tired. Just ask Justin to not be so forward thinking, we need to get the balance better, we have scored first in 3 out of the last 10 games and are getting far to easily hit with the counter attack. To such an extent that when we lost the ball against Plymouth, I could sense they were going to score less than 10 seconds afterwards.

Edited by Beachyboy

41 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

So try in reverse maybe start Justin and bring Doyle on when the pace of Fellows is less affective after say 60 mins when he may be a bit more tired. Just ask Justin to not be so forward thinking, we need to get the balance better, we have scored first in 3 out of the last 10 games and are getting far to easily hit with the counter attack. To such an extent that when we lost the ball against Plymouth, I could sense they were going to score less than 10 seconds afterwards.

The reality is both are just crap at LB primarily because neither are LBs. Cov fans can't believe we play Doyle there. Neither can really defend but Doyle can spray a 60 yard diag whereas JJ can occasionally score a goal. Depends what you want really!

Edited by TheGoldenGod
  • Like 1

Ugh I just don’t see it lads and lasses. Usually when we need to play this lot in an important run in, we always turn up. This group just aren’t at it. 

I think Southampton edge us out on Tuesday.

• Like 2

I think we will get beat here as WBA have a lot to fight for and players with points to prove  as they are coming in for injuries suspensions. 

The season has followed a really easy to spot pattern

New Style of play. Not bedded in but we are less shit than the opposition in forward positions.

Confidence grows - still playing sides for the first time.

Hull, Boro figure us out

Everyone piles in when they play us the second time. Deploying the low block and break down the flanks / set pieces. 

We do nothing to change our approach to surprise the opposition either in formation, style or personnel.

Breakdown of the season is below, but its super plain. We haven't been undone by injuries or luck, we have been full on found out and haven't got the management / structure in place to do owt about it.

August:

Coventry. dominated by them for large periods and scored two late goals, could easily have lost or drawn

Huddersfield. Scrappy. Their goalie threw one in the net

Cardiff. Laboured, didn't look like a win until a last minute winner

Rotherham. Laboured again. Very slow football

Hull. Did a number on us hich others would later copy

Southampton. Let's have it straight. a 4-1 win, but they missed 3 ABSOLUTE sitters and then gifted us 2 goals which set us up for the win. 

Norwich - good performance. 

Bristol City. laboured. Everyone saying 'trust in the process' the football won't stink so much soon.

Blackburn. Again they had more shots and chances than us, but we converted.

Sept /Oct: Some improved performances when we were still playing sides for the first time and confidence was growing. Teams weren't playing full block and hadn't figured our style out.

Nov/ Dec: The 'project' gets undermined by first string of poor results / Doyle injury and first whispers of financial shitstorm. Leeds, Middlesborough follow the Hull model and nullify us before grabbing a goal. 

Dec/Jan:

Millwall, Birmingham, Cov and Millwall again start to expose our defensive weakness down the flanks and the mask slips from Faes and Vesty a little bit. This is the sort of thing other teams learn from quickly and pass on.
We fail to sign Sensi in the window and Casadei leaves along with our AFCOn players being out / suspended or injured.

We  concede two very late injury time equalisers to Ipswich side who we have dominated but not finished off. Failure to concentrate in last 30mins then becomes a theme that comes back. 

Feb-April.

Some great performances to beat Brum, Swansea and Stoke towards end of Jan but then Feb we start the return fixtures swing of the season and the wheels come off because the opposition have all fully worked us out.

Boro, Leeds, QPR, Hull, Bristol City, Millwall, Plymouth all ride out a period of possession dominance from us and then hit us on the counter attack. 

6 defeats in 2 months, 3 wins and a draw. 

Relegation form

Edited by FosseSpark
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don't think the formation is the problem. It's hard to find another shape that doesn't have negatives that outweigh the positives.

For me it's about the current personnel within the system and the overall mentality.

We can play with this way and yet still...

• Go at teams early on.
  • Keep the same attacking intent even after going ahead, to capitalise on the momentum and kill them off.
  • Be quicker on the ball. Less touches, more assertiveness with the passes.
  • More off the ball movement.
  • Take the shot if an opportunity arises.
  • Understand the situation we are in and leave everything out on the pitch.
  • Make changes in-game to freshen it up if it's not working.

We aren't doing enough of these things at the minute, but there is no reason why we can't do them all and still stick within Enzo's 'idea'. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Against Norwich it felt like we were doing these things, perhaps because the crowd were demanding it.

• Like 2

Doyle played every game up until his injury and didn't put a foot wrong. He got cooked at Millwall in the cup, but apart from that I think criticism has been harsh. It's the nature of the system that he'll be exposed. Gvardiol has struggled there for Man City and he's top.

Doyle offers so much in possession and really helps Mavadidi get more opportunities down that left. To me it wasn't surprising at all when he came in against Norwich the other week and we kept possession and controlled the game alot better. I like JJ, but he's much better on the right. He played brilliantly when he came on for Fatawu and played RW against Norwich. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Levi Port said:

Doyle played every game up until his injury and didn't put a foot wrong. He got cooked at Millwall in the cup, but apart from that I think criticism has been harsh. It's the nature of the system that he'll be exposed. Gvardiol has struggled there for Man City and he's top.

Doyle offers so much in possession and really helps Mavadidi get more opportunities down that left. To me it wasn't surprising at all when he came in against Norwich the other week and we kept possession and controlled the game alot better. I like JJ, but he's much better on the right. He played brilliantly when he came on for Fatawu and played RW against Norwich. 

Early on teams targeted him as it was clear he was the weak link. 

41 minutes ago, izzymuzzet said:

It won't happen, but would be good to see us bin off the inverted full back role now. Would allow us to bring in Justin on the right to cover the lack of pace at centre half with Coady and Vesty, then Doyle on the left for his passing ability. Move Ricardo forward into the Ndidi position.

Mads

Justin Coady Vest Doyle

Ricardo Winks KDH

Fatawu Vardy Mavididi

Though I still think Enzo will choose Faes over Coady and leave Ricardo in the inverted role with Ndidi in the number 8 position. This game is a must win for us and if we win the next two we will be in a great position. 

53 minutes ago, izzymuzzet said:

It won't happen, but would be good to see us bin off the inverted full back role now. Would allow us to bring in Justin on the right to cover the lack of pace at centre half with Coady and Vesty, then Doyle on the left for his passing ability. Move Ricardo forward into the Ndidi position.

Mads

Justin Coady Vest Doyle

Ricardo Winks KDH

Fatawu Vardy Mavididi

Would love to see this (maybe swap the side of the pitch for Riccy, so his pace can cover off the lack of pace from Vesty & Doyle). Justin should have Coady covered

2 minutes ago, Raj said:

Whats our record in early kick offs?

I thought Norwich (games ago, last game at home) was one of the best performances of the season.12.30 saturday, and i had a smashing chippy lunch before hand.

1 minute ago, Chelmofox said:

I thought Norwich (games ago, last game at home) was one of the best performances of the season.12.30 saturday, and i had a smashing chippy lunch before hand.

Lost to Bristol City 1-0 the early kick off before that.

Edited by TheGoldenGod

4 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

3 minutes ago, TheGoldenGod said:

Lost to Bristol City 1-0 the early kick off before that.

i was hoping the answer would be 100% success with 16 goals scored and 0 conceded!!!

• Haha 2