Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bob Weasel Fox

WBA (H) Saturday

9 minutes ago, Raj said:

i was hoping the answer would be 100% success with 16 goals scored and 0 conceded!!!

I have a 100% success rate on a chippy lunch if that helps.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

JJ is hardly an improvement though. He's faster but regularly out of position on the left and if he does get the ball, there's a good percentage chance he'll pass it to an opposition player. 

If I had to choose between dropping Faes at CB or Justin at LB it would be Justin. Can't take another game of watching him play so awkwardly being unable to attack or defend in that position.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Supergray22 said:

Though I still think Enzo will choose Faes over Coady and leave Ricardo in the inverted role with Ndidi in the number 8 position. This game is a must win for us and if we win the next two we will be in a great position. 

Think you're right, I'm not optimistic he will make the changes I think we need. For me the lineup I've suggested solves the issues with out of form players (Ndidi and Faes) while maintaining a similar shape to the one we've used all season and ensuring we've got enough pace at the back to cover for the two slow centre halfs.

29 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Would love to see this (maybe swap the side of the pitch for Riccy, so his pace can cover off the lack of pace from Vesty & Doyle). Justin should have Coady covered

Main issue with this is KDH - he is so one-footed that playing him anywhere but the left side of midfield negates his best attributes (progressing through midfield with the ball at his feet and creating chances with late runs into the box).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LVFox said:

Being as West Brom are struggling for an out and out striker could we go?:

Justin Vestegaard Doyle Ricardo

Ricardo inverting from left.

Inverting on either side of Vestergaard or Doyle would leave us more exposed than usual because of their lack of pace. I don't believe Maresca would go for this

1 hour ago, LVFox said:

Being as West Brom are struggling for an out and out striker could we go?:

Justin Vestegaard Doyle Ricardo

Ricardo inverting from left.

If West Brom are really struggling for a striker could we lend them Daka which actually gives us a better chance of a clean sheet

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, CheeseHead said:

Inverting on either side of Vestergaard or Doyle would leave us more exposed than usual because of their lack of pace. I don't believe Maresca would go for this

As opposed to him leaving us exposed when Faes goes flying into the oppositions box leaving 0 players covering that space? 

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

As opposed to him leaving us exposed when Faes goes flying into the oppositions box leaving 0 players covering that space? 

Not disagreeing, but I reckon Maresca believes Faes' pace (or at least pace in comparison to the other centre-half) helps on the inverting side

26 minutes ago, CheeseHead said:

Not disagreeing, but I reckon Maresca believes Faes' pace (or at least pace in comparison to the other centre-half) helps on the inverting side

This is why Faes always gets picked irrespective of his form. The inverted full-back system leaves us open to being counter-attacked down that side (which both Millwall and Plymouth exploited to full effect). Although Faes is not especially quick, he's quicker than Vestergaard and Doyle, so can - theoretically at least - cover for Ricardo when he goes bombing forward. The fact that Faes is not performing this function very well at all has cost us points recently, but I suspect Maresca's terror of playing Vestergaard and Coady together means that Faes will probably keep his place.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

This is why Faes always gets picked irrespective of his form. The inverted full-back system leaves us open to being counter-attacked down that side (which both Millwall and Plymouth exploited to full effect). Although Faes is not especially quick, he's quicker than Vestergaard and Doyle, so can - theoretically at least - cover for Ricardo when he goes bombing forward. The fact that Faes is not performing this function very well at all has cost us points recently, but I suspect Maresca's terror of playing Vestergaard and Coady together means that Faes will probably keep his place.

He can be the quickest player in the world - it's irrelevant if keeps not closing people down, goes to sleep at crucial times or gives the ball away in silly moments

• Like 1

Just now, Les-TA-Jon said:

He can be the quickest player in the world - it's irrelevant if keeps not closing people down, goes to sleep at crucial times or gives the ball away in silly moments

I agree entirely. It's just a matter of whether Maresca is willing to sacrifice a bit of pace in order to get somebody in who might actually defend better.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

We could always play Wilf at CB instead of Faes. Who has been too risky lately. Or maybe play Faes at RB. and go with a back 4 for added safety.

None of this scared to lose crappy football we’ve fell into playing.  Start at a high tempo and blitz them.  Be more direct and let players gamble at beating a man. Don’t be scared to lose the ball in their half. You don’t need to play 78 passes in order to score. Don’t wait till you’re a goal behind and there’s ten mins left, with the opposition time wasting most of that, before you start playing.