Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
OnlyOneCity

Penalty squabble

3 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I've plenty to say about this current Chelsea team and not a great deal of it is positive but my major bug bear - this 'Cold Palmer and 'shivering' celebration.

Firstly : it's the footballing equivalent of trampling American dog eggs across our carpet, if you'll excuse the metaphor. This 'ice in his veins' nonsense is a direct import from the US sports traditions, particularly basketball. We should be ashamed that the players and fans are pandering to their sports heritage the way they are. We have our own traditions, our own heritage. We should be proud of our own national game and not looking to import the nomenclature of another nations - particularly one so crass. And, as I've pointed out numerous times in the past, it's the death by a thousand cuts effect it has. The language of the sports has been slowly Americanised. It's only a short jump to the game becoming Americanised. It DOES happen and we should resist.

Secondly : the idea of personalised celebration is totally narcissitic. The ego of the sportsperson has accelerated out of control in recent times. They contribute nothing to the world and take so much. If you took away Doctors, binmen, sewerage works and so on then society would be negatively effected. If you took away sports people then there are other outlets of entertainment. They are a drain. We feed this black hole of self-obsession when we start lionising stupid little personal celebrations. He ought to be booed on principle. He thinks that he's important, that he has a foothold in the running of society and he matters on a large scale when the opposite is the truth. Don't feed that. 

Anyway. That's my two peeneth.

Sorry - I forgot to link this to the penalty squabble.

It's all ego driven. They just want to do their little touch-down dance hand signal and jerky movement so everyone looks at them. It's self-above-team in a uniquely American way. 

26 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I've plenty to say about this current Chelsea team and not a great deal of it is positive but my major bug bear - this 'Cold Palmer and 'shivering' celebration.

Firstly : it's the footballing equivalent of trampling American dog eggs across our carpet, if you'll excuse the metaphor. This 'ice in his veins' nonsense is a direct import from the US sports traditions, particularly basketball. We should be ashamed that the players and fans are pandering to their sports heritage the way they are. We have our own traditions, our own heritage. We should be proud of our own national game and not looking to import the nomenclature of another nations - particularly one so crass. And, as I've pointed out numerous times in the past, it's the death by a thousand cuts effect it has. The language of the sports has been slowly Americanised. It's only a short jump to the game becoming Americanised. It DOES happen and we should resist.

Secondly : the idea of personalised celebration is totally narcissitic. The ego of the sportsperson has accelerated out of control in recent times. They contribute nothing to the world and take so much. If you took away Doctors, binmen, sewerage works and so on then society would be negatively effected. If you took away sports people then there are other outlets of entertainment. They are a drain. We feed this black hole of self-obsession when we start lionising stupid little personal celebrations. He ought to be booed on principle. He thinks that he's important, that he has a foothold in the running of society and he matters on a large scale when the opposite is the truth. Don't feed that. 

Oomph bet it felt good to get that out. I feel your anger brother, better out than in.

I liked it when Hesk did the DJ celebration and anything with a dance move but yes like the golf putting one that's irritating (golf ffs, get out my sport)

Barnes Arrow one was class because he's using proper technique, (I'm an Archer).

But yeah chilli, you're not taking free throws from the line lad, you couldn't play basketball anyway, you stuff would be REJECTED.

Edited by Heskey2011

1 hour ago, Bert said:

What’s more to the point is it’s quite obvious that Palmer is their penalty taker. Was 8 from 8 before last night so why would anyone think they can take it if he’s on the pitch? If he offers the ball to someone else because he’s on a hat-trick then fair enough, but until he misses or the taker changes, wait in line. 

Imagine that Madueke and Jackson were thinking Palmer’s already on a hat-trick so that’s why they thought they could take it. 

On this bit, I think Palmer would have been aware that scoring that penalty puts him joint top-scorer with Haaland so was always going to take it!

• Like 1

Pochettino's Spurs would also lose their heads a lot. Remember them being quite distorted and lacking that camaraderie. 

Probably just a trait of his that that part of management is lacking? More focused on the tactical side and performance side as opposed to managing those players. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

This and the childish squabble with Madueke and Jackson is another example of how dislikable the game can be these days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, TheGoldenGod said:

On this bit, I think Palmer would have been aware that scoring that penalty puts him joint top-scorer with Haaland so was always going to take it!

Obviously had that in mind too, but he’s still the penalty taker, he was on the pitch, he hasn’t missed one yet. 

8 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

This and the childish squabble with Madueke and Jackson is another example of how dislikable the game can be these days. 

"NO! I want to be the one to score so i can jerk my arms around a bit and everyone can look. Me. ME."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OnlyOneCity said:

Watching the ridiculous squabbling between Chelsea players last night about who should take the penalty, reminded me of when Vards was on his goal a game run. We had a penalty against Watford, and Mahrez had the ball ready to take it. The crowd were obviously aware of the situation with Vardy and chanted his name. Mahrez handed the ball to him and I think that made number 9 in the list. Vardy duly scored and went straight to Riyad to thank him. Going back to the Chelsea debacle, Jackson also kicked off when they had a penalty against us in the cup, and delayed it by moaning at the ref. Not a good teamwork look.

blimey did not remember that v watford, was at newcastle  when he leveled it and was a true magic moment and wearnt it great 7 day later its me etc ha, 2bh i wasnt thinking bout a record when we beat watford so nice to read that only1 good knowlage:thumbup: and last night was funny as fk. we were rumoured to be in for cole palmer on loan for a year ffs what a great kid he is.

3 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Agreed, its up there Bale trying to patent the heart celebration, though as least Palmer's was in some way original. 

3 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I didn't think I could hate Darren Fletcher as a commentator any more and then he described an assist in the Barca game last week as "one Patrick Mahomes would be proud of". The ****. 

Edited by bovril
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, bovril said:

I didn't think I could hate Darren Fletcher as a commentator any more and then he described an assist in the Barca game last week as "one Patrick Mahomes would be proud of". The ****. 

I used to like Darren Fletcher as he always mentioned the East Midlands teams. Now I can’t stand him. HE NEVER SHUTS UP! He’s constantly talking to the irritating co commentator woman who’s on with him.

• Like 1

Embarrassing for Poch above all else. 

Imagine either not having a designated taker (which doesn't look like it's the case) or having so little authority that your players think they can fight over who gets to take it. 

SAF would be throwing shoes at them and sending them off to train with the u7s for the rest of the season until they grew the **** up. 

Pep would have them ****ing transfer listed lol

• Like 2

The penalty issue last night typified the issue that team has - too many young, arrogant, overpaid players, playing as individuals and not as a team. It's a hard job managing that lot, and they're all on very long contracts!

• Like 2

The ship has sailed on ‘Americanisms’ and cultural overflow - it started back in the 80’s.

when you move like myself to the US and start to absorb the culture here you do tend to miss what makes ‘Britishness’ so unique and want to play that up to stay authentic.

it’s hard to cherry pick end of the day it’s all or nothing. I don’t know I mean the celebrations are cheesy but harmless entertainment end if the day. Many people enjoy it, players get off on it and looks great for the cameras and media.

regarding the penalty take boy that was embarrassing and awkward! No wonder pochee is fuming in his very soft way.

FFS let the designated taker take it. No one should be touching the ball other than handing it to Palmer. That’s the protocol.

what happened yesterday was worse than anything I’ve seen at pre-teen youth level bordering on comical. These are professional athletes so they can’t be excused as just kids not knowing better.

if anything it made Chelsea a laughing stock despite them whooping Everton. It probably pissed gravel face Dyche even more. I thought selling Ali’s assessment was spot on! None of them childish lot stepped up to take the penalty when they were under the kish against Manu a while back. Everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon when your winning lol

9 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

The ship has sailed on ‘Americanisms’ and cultural overflow - it started back in the 80’s.

True but it's really accelerated in recent years. When you watch football content from say the early 1990s, even with the advent of the Premier League, British football speak had its own very recognisable register and style. Nowadays football content, especially social media content, is so obviously much more influenced by the US it's pretty cringeworthy. And the idea that a pass in an association football game would be likened by a British commentator to an NFL player would be laughable even like 10-15 years ago. 

To be honest I don't think is confined to Britain, unfortunately.