Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't like to assume the role of the pedant, especially just four (admittedly very good) posts in, but in the signature above, encouraging all to reassess our views of the 'homeless' as if they even can be considered to be one homogenous group sharing identically similar qualities, to a man; the word 'productiveness' is used... I'm not convinced this is a word and perhaps it should be replaced with 'productivity'? Just a l;ittle ironic and jars a little when this error is included within a sentence preaching 'intelligence'.

Moreover, why should it matter whether we consider someone 'capable' of dignity? Surely dignity and the act of being dignified is its own reward? Why is the perception of anyone else important?

I am of course anti-homelessness and inequality and indeed negative assumptions/generalisations at all within society. The downtrodden now 'underclasses' must pull together against a common enemy who would keep them downtrodden. I may write a song about it - perhaps a new album even.

I did not write the quote. It is taken from the About page on www.mydownnotout.org.uk (I think) and I was limited to the lines I could put in my sig. I can change it to something more fitting which says the same thing which is that there are many misconceptions and stereotyping and the aim of DNO is to help those who have just been made homeless moving to/from a hostel/flat and help them build back their lives by teaching new skills.

They are not there just to give handouts and a pat on the back with an 'Asshh never mind' they have to want to work at it too.

• 1 month later...

Just finished The Geek Manifesto; Why Science Matters, and moving on to Bad Science by Ben Goldacre. Quite enjoyed the geek manifesto, decent points in there on why policies should be based in science, not ideology.

As for Bad Science, I'm led to believe it's a rampage against pseudoscience like homeopathy, astrology etc., so should be interesting.

9780061139611.jpg

I don't really tend to read true crime but this is pretty astonishing. A retired homicide detective recounts his private investigation into one of the most notorious, unsolved murders in American history and finds the chief suspect to be his own father.

Just been looking for something new to read and had a scan through this thread and came across this, sounds good. Just ordered it.

Anyone fancy suggesting some philosophical stuff? Stuff that makes you think about life and all that.

You could try the alchemist by Paulo Coehlo, nearly finished it, if you can cut through the religious side to it there is a lot in there that gets you thinking, especially if you are someone who feels a little directionless at the moment.

Sophie's World is a good book to introduce you to various philosophical concepts, from where you can choose your favourites and look into them further.

The Alchemist is for middle teenagers. I wouldn't expect many adults to get much out of that.

Edited by MooseBreath