Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

I’m setting myself a New Years resolution challenge, to read 12 books in 2022. Does anybody have any recommendations? I may have read some previously but keen to get some variety. I like anything really, especially autobiographies and thrillers/murder mystery type stuff. I’ve already got Will Smith’s book downloaded and ready to go, apparently it’s excellent (that’s my Christmas present to myself) 

2 hours ago, Manini said:

I’m setting myself a New Years resolution challenge, to read 12 books in 2022. Does anybody have any recommendations? I may have read some previously but keen to get some variety. I like anything really, especially autobiographies and thrillers/murder mystery type stuff. I’ve already got Will Smith’s book downloaded and ready to go, apparently it’s excellent (that’s my Christmas present to myself) 

Jackson Lamb/Slow Horses (Excellent series). Iceberg Slim. Blood Meridian. Dave Grohl autobiography, American Gods. 

Have fun! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Manini said:

John Connolly, Mark Billingham, Ian Rankin, all excellent

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Manini said:

If you've not visited https://www.goodreads.com/ I'd suggest doing so.  It's a bit of a double edged sword, as if you rate the books you enjoy then it'll recommend books that are enjoyed by people with similar book tastes.  Great for finding literature you'd like, but can lead to getting a bit pigeonholed if you're not careful.  Either way, a great website!

• Thanks 1

On 28/11/2021 at 20:07, Manini said:

I’ve already got Will Smith’s book downloaded and ready to go, apparently it’s excellent

This is pretty good to be fair. I’m half way through, the first half has covered his childhood and also his career as a rapper and now we’re on to TFP. He’s an excellent story teller, but he really does struggle to contain his ego, but I guess that makes him, him, and he’s fairly unashamed of it. 

Odd point though, he mentions near the start that him and his mum have played a game since he was young, and still do now. If you read it, I think you’d know what I’m talking about - once you’ve read that and got it in your mind, it does change the perception of the book a little bit, especially when he’s telling stories about life events. 

On 24/11/2021 at 22:39, ClaphamFox said:

Sweet Home, a collection of short stories by Wendy Erskine. It’s rather good. 

After this I’ve decided to reread David Copperfield. I don’t know why - it’s just a decision I’ve come to.

People seem to speak very highly of Wendy Erskine’s short stories. I think I might put them on my xmas list.

Reading The Stone Sky, the third part of the Broken Earth trilogy by NK Jemison. Good stuff! I am partial to a bit of quality world-building.

Recently read Memorial Device by David Keenan and The Gallows Pole by Benjamin Myers. Two very different books but both really excellent if anyone’s looking for some recent literary-ish but accessible, not pretentious stuff. Memorial Device is a great book especially for anyone who remembers the eighties and likes their music.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

0099583453.jpg.b42676386f716b4251e901e789c9b6d9.jpg

Came across this in a second-hand book shop, a chance discovery as I'd never heard of this author before. Transpires he is very well known in North America, with some of his work being part of the education curriculum.

For: If you are a fan of Robert Macfarlane. Indeed in the copy I have, Macfarlane writes the Intro. Seems Lopez is one of the authors that inspired Macfarlane to write about nature

The book is focused on the Arctic, its nature, the people, the landscape. Its history, mystery, beauty and brutality. Also an exploration of our relationship with such a harsh and fragile environment. 

Giving as it does a backdrop to the exploration & commercial exploitation of the region, it is also for fans of The North Water & The Terror. Both TV mini-series that I enjoyed.

Edited by swanlee

34 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Do you all read actual books or is it all kinders ? Still a book man like I still like CDs and Dvds

I still love a book in my hand. My mate is baffled why I don't read on an ipad or a kindle like he does, but I prefer the feel of turning the pages and reading ink on paper. 

I stare at my phone enough each day, without staring at another screen to relax before bed. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 2