Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

On 23/10/2020 at 19:24, Parafox said:

"Can You Hear Me"? An NHS Paramedic's encounters with Life and Death by Jake Jones. A book I wish I had written.

Perhaps it will inspire you to at the very least chronicle your experiences and record some of your interventions and experiences? There's no telling where that would then lead. I'd read it. 

On 30/10/2020 at 09:16, Samilktray said:

Looking for a decent football related book if anyone has any interesting recommendations? Doesn’t have to be a biography/autobiography 

This may be a bit left field but have your read Brilliant Orange by David Winner. I thought it was fascinating but I know some haven't been so keen. But if you want to read a different type of football book I'd say it is worth a go.

Looking for a decent football related book if anyone has any interesting recommendations? Doesn’t have to be a biography/autobiography 

I'd highly recommend Michael Cox's books on football tactics. The Mixer and Zonal Marking.

I've just finished Jonathan Wilson's biography of Cloughie which is a fascinating read.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Footballer-What-Physio-Saw/dp/0593078764

Try Secret Footballer-  What Physio Saw-  it is a great mixure of various fascinating insights into the world of football and medicene with the latter not being too dull at all.    

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/10/2020 at 10:16, Samilktray said:

Few of my favourites are:

Feet Of The Chameleon: The Story of Football in Africa

https://www.amazon.com/Feet-Chameleon-Story-Football-Africa/dp/1906032858

Football Against The Enemy

https://www.amazon.com/Football-Against-Enemy-Simon-Kuper/dp/0752848771

8 hours ago, Lizzy said:

Found out that FBI has a webpage with old famous cases.

So thats what i'm reading. Lots of interesting stuff to dive into.

https://www.fbi.gov/history/famous-cases

Just taken a quick look as time against me right now. Looked at the stuff to do with Al Capone. Amazing that you can read the original police reports and their pursuing of Capone and his cohorts.

Edited by Parafox

Story of Heather 'Anish' Anderson's FKT attempt on the PCT: 2,700 miles of desert, snow and high mountain passes, braving Grizzlies, Mountain Lions, extreme fatigue and dehydration as she hikes 50 miles a day in search of the record.

51hlonYXTsL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• 1 month later...

Always been intrigued by this fella'. (Not least cos' he reminds me of me nan!) It wasn't what i was expecting though, but an interesting read nethertheless. And he seems like a nice fella'. Glad to hear he's kicked the opiates and is enjoying life. Might actually read some of his poetry now as well!

9781509896103.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Similar to my pointless 'Watch every best picture Oscar Film before 30' task, I've set myself a challenge of reading a book a week this year and going well so far with 6 down. Thus far I've managed:-

1. Thursday Murder Club - Richard Osman. 

2. The Communist Manifesto - Marx/Engels. Some may well argue that I re-read this because it's only 50 pages long, but I couldn't possibly comment :ph34r:.

3. One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez. 

4. Tin Man - Sarah Winman.

5. The Understudy - David Nicholls.

6. The Motorcycle Diaries - Che Guevara.

Trying to keep it varied, hence the variation from debut murder mystery by light entertainment host to extreme left wing. 

I've had a bit of a mixed read so far this year.  I read the Robin Waterfield translation of The Histories by Herodotus which was interesting but wouldn't recommend it.  Thought I'd follow that up with something light and actually get around to reading Jurassic Park (said in a Partridge voice) which was much better than I thought (I did think it'd be good).  Surprisingly different to the film which I'm familiar with, would recommend!

• 3 weeks later...

Stumbled across this bloke about 2 weeks ago after hearing about him a while ago. Started doing his breathing technique last weekend from YouTube and I really would recommend it. In short, through breathing, exposure to cold and his mindset he has scientifically proven to be able to regulate his own body temperature, fight off infection and inflammation that causes things like Asthma and has broken loads of world records.

F66DCEF2-FED0-420D-8A69-97D51F80811B.jpeg

• Like 1