Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

This was a recommendation from @murphymany years back…

I barely ever re-read books, but, my memory of enjoying it so much persuaded me to give it another outing 

it’s set at the time of the ‘57 uprising in Hungary and is loosely based around a basketball team!

A fantastic and really really funny read 

fAVfq5i.jpg

Also most of the way through The Shadow of the wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafron…. If you like Barcelona and a bit of adventure- give it a go!  It’s a fantastic read 

• Like 1

Read Elton John's book on holiday in June - bloody brilliant, lots of jaw dropping and laugh out loud moments with plenty of self awareness, and I'm not even a massive fan.

Just finished "20 years of talkSPORT" - loads of insight into the madness of the radio station - and Tony Pike's autobiography, wow what a life, real Ibiza legend.

Just started "Follow F***ing Orders" about the murder of a Swedish footballer. Had some cracking reviews.

• 2 weeks later...

Going through Sue Grafton's alphabet series, just done A for alibi, now onto B for burglar. Decent crime series, but I particularly like the insights into normal American/Californian life, For example, why are they so much into jogging? Because they never walk anywhere.

Oh, and have just finished a stonker. The Spy Who Came In From the Cold. Possibly Le Carre's finest, and not as hard to follow as some. 100% recommended.

On 03/07/2021 at 23:51, Webbo said:

Thursday Murder Club. 

I don't want to be too critical because it's a debut novel but it was a bit twee for my liking. 

Crap plot with a few Joyce Grenfel type lines thrown in. 5/10

I've recently read this.

I enjoyed it.  Yes it is certainly twee, but I don't mind that at times.  It's not challenging, if it were music it would be easy listening, but it has a charm and was an enjoyable romp imo.

Just one or two little niggles....

*spoiler alert,  Don't read below if you intend to read the book*

i) Why was Bogdan allowed to get away with it when Margaret's friends, John and Penny weren't?

ii) John killed Ventnham to protect Penny's secret but if they had dug up the cemetery and found the extra body, there would be absolutely no evidence linking Penny to that 50 year old murder.  Certainly no reason to kill Ventnham.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, swanlee said:

Found myself a old 'n dusty second copy with yellowing paper and fading print. Perfect .......

image.png.9368edf56450e9f50a5352ac54997b69.png

Steinbeck really is one of the greats.  Recently re-read Travels with Charley as it's one of my all time favourites.

5 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Steinbeck really is one of the greats.  Recently re-read Travels with Charley as it's one of my all time favourites.

Agreed, I read a lot of Steinbeck in my teens. 'Of Mice and Men' is popular I know but rightly so. The stories around the migrant worker communities worked for me, kind of like a 'Nomadland' of its generation!

20 hours ago, swanlee said:

Found myself a old 'n dusty second copy with yellowing paper and fading print. Perfect .......

image.png.9368edf56450e9f50a5352ac54997b69.png

Just finished re-reading this.

Brilliant, a tale of hope, hardship & togetherness. You feel love for most of Steinbeck's characters & a touch of hatred for a few. Keeps you hooked all through the story.

The greatest American novel imho.

• Like 1

Hotel K by Kathryn Bonnella about a notorious prison in Indonesia with some convicts enjoying ridiculous luxuries like having marble floors/TV/PlayStation etc in their cells.  Always enjoyed reading about South East Asia prisons.   Damage Done by Wayne Fellows is another good one.  

On 29/09/2021 at 11:02, DerbyshireFox said:

Just finished Ordinary Heroes by Joseph Pfeifer. He was the first fire chief on scene at 9/11. An emotive read, but goes into what was learnt from 9/11 as well. Definitely recommend 

Added to my reading list.  

A year or two back, I read an autobiography by a coroner about her life work in NYC which was very informative but there were couple of chapters on dealing with the fall out from 9/11 which was flat out bonkers. 

They had to hire couple of refrigerator lorries to store surplus dead bodies and were labelling everything from gums to piece of an ear etc.