Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

22 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I agree re. Shape of Water: decent, but not exceptional. Amazed that it got the "best film" Oscar. I'd have given it to Three Billboards - extraordinary mixture of emotion and very black humour - producing a film about rape, murder and the quest for justice and making it laugh-aloud funny takes some doing.

Phantom Thread was outstanding, though definitely not one for people who like lots of action, more about the interplay of personalities and power, but with a fair bit of humour again - and an outstanding performance from Daniel Day-Lewis. I'd have even given him the best actor Oscar just ahead of Gary Oldman, I think - a less dramatic performance, but exceptional range, power and charisma from a more restrained delivery.

22 hours ago, CarbonVirtine said:

Agreed. A real actors movie. When you see Day-Lewis do his stuff, his commitment to the role etc, it makes you realise what a craft acting truly can be. His every face twitch is in character! I know some critique him for being too overboard sometimes (and I know what's being referred to) but he's just brilliant in this.

I got to see it in the end as my local cinema brought it back after the Oscar nod. I thought it was great, and the two leads were superb. Stayed with me for a few days after which is usually a good sign. To get a bit wanky it seemed like an exploration of the patriarchy to me but I think its enjoyable regardless of whether you buy into all that - the trademark PTA atmosphere, unsettling black humour, and brilliant score, not to mention costume design. I'm not sure he'll ever top There Will Be Blood though - what a film.

Do you think it really will be DDL last film?

22 hours ago, CarbonVirtine said:

Sorry. One expects CGI these days, I know ;) 

luckily i have no interest in seeing that film, but we dont post spoilers on this site unless we use the spoiler tags, like this

in here if you want to talk about movies and tv shows

write the tags like this without the " ["spoiler] <text here> ["/spoiler]

Edited by Beliall

3 minutes ago, Beliall said:

luckily i have no interest in seeing that film, but we dont post spoilers on this site unless we use the spoiler tags, like this

Reveal hidden contents

in here if you want to talk about movies and tv shows

write the tags like this without the " ["spoiler] <text here> ["/spoiler]

It being a man in a suit is not a spoiler, rather how they realised the character on screen, if that makes sense. I think you're talking at cross purposes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, egg_fried_rice said:

It being a man in a suit is not a spoiler, rather how they realised the character on screen, if that makes sense. I think you're talking at cross purposes. 

ah my mistake, i thought it was a reveal. my mistake.

Off to see 'Lady Bird' tonight. Looking forward to it so I hope I'm not building my expectations too much. In an ideal world, I think it'd better to see a film without having an idea about it, so your reaction can be genuinely your own. But then how would you know about it? It's rare to go and watch a film and have absolutely no expectation.

I recall seeing 'Groundhog Day' one rainy midweek afternoon. I'd nothing else to do, fancied seeing a film and just pitched up a local cinema on spec. Blimey I enjoyed that film. Probably more so than was merited but I'll not forget that experience.

Guest seanfox778
8 minutes ago, CarbonVirtine said:

Off to see 'Lady Bird' tonight. Looking forward to it so I hope I'm not building my expectations too much. In an ideal world, I think it'd better to see a film without having an idea about it, so your reaction can be genuinely your own. But then how would you know about it? It's rare to go and watch a film and have absolutely no expectation.

I recall seeing 'Groundhog Day' one rainy midweek afternoon. I'd nothing else to do, fancied seeing a film and just pitched up a local cinema on spec. Blimey I enjoyed that film. Probably more so than was merited but I'll not forget that experience.

I prefer doing that, my finest achievement was avoiding any kind of trailer or clip for The Dark Knight because I knew it would be unbelievable. I even sat with my fingers firmly in my ears and eyes closed when the trailer was being shown before other films, I may have looked like a weird nut job but it was worth it.

On 3/23/2018 at 16:16, CarbonVirtine said:

Thoughts? I enjoyed it. Not absolutely sensational, but at least 7/10.

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Thoughts? I enjoyed it. Not absolutely sensational, but at least 7/10.

I've been meaning to type something up.

I was underwhelmed tbh. It's a very watchable and pleasant film but one with no gravitas. That's not a criticism btw; by my own definitions 'Lady Bird' is a good film in that it does what it sets out to do, stays true to its own remit and doesn't get ideas above its station (I hate films that preach). So, yes, agreed, a solid 7 out of 10.

I knew from the intro music that I wasn't about to watch the movie that I'd realised I'd anticipated. It's light and whimsical, and does that well to be far. It's never dull but does sometimes sag a litttle. There's no deep soul searching required, it doesn't ask profound nor troubling questions. So that's what the the film wasn't, on to what it was (without spoilers!) Saiorse Ronan (23) plays 'Lady Bird' (17).  I mention the age because occassionaly Saiorse has the demenaour of her actual years, and that jarred for me and took something away from her performance. She was otherwise solid in an unchallenging role, but not a performance I thought worthy of a Oscar nomination. Laurie Metcalf, on the otherhand, fully deserved hers as Lady Bird's mum. In fact, I'd say that hers was the performance of the film.  

A final oddity; usually with the films, I can tell when it's about to end (without looking at the time!)  Films run their course, an end point is reached and it feels right when and where they end. As Lady Bird's plane took off for New York, I thought 'this could be a closing scene' yet it didn't feel like it. It felt like it could be a long film as an end point hadn't been signaled and a new environment was to be introduced. A little later, an event triggers the denouement. The event itself was almost random, there was no particular justification for it to trigger the end (other than suddenly 'growing up') yet it did. At first it felt like the movie abruptly called time on itself, but then I realised that life can be like that - something happens, you reflect and decide to change. Maybe that counts as the film's gravitas, I don't know. 

The line of the film for me (is that a spoiler?) was 'if you had boobs I wouldn't feel them either out of respect'. That made me chuckle.

• Like 1

Took the kids to see the new Disney fantasy film ‘A wrinkle in time’ today. 

I fell asleep after about 20 mins so can’t really comment if it was any good or not.

16 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I fell asleep after about 20 mins so can’t really comment if it was any good or not.

Cheers Muzzett that’s very useful info ...    now we ...       zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Haha 1

Guest seanfox778

The People VS. Larry Flynt - 8/10

A film about the life of Hustler magazine creator Larry Flynt and the commotion it caused upon its first publication. The guy had a crazy, whirlwind life and it was a pretty interesting watch. I’d never seen Courtney Love in a film before but I couldn’t help but wonder if that’s how she acted in real life in her heyday.

2B9CDA8C-09B9-483C-8BBF-EFB35CE40664.jpeg

1 hour ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

It actually doesn't grab me as a film to watch, despite it's casting awareness (if I can put it like that). It might be one that I'll eventually buy the 2nd hand DVD of, or watch when it crops up on the box though... just so as I know what it's all about. 

6 minutes ago, CarbonVirtine said:

It actually doesn't grab me as a film to watch, despite it's casting awareness (if I can put it like that). It might be one that I'll eventually buy the 2nd hand DVD of, or watch when it crops up on the box though... just so as I know what it's all about. 

The first 20 mins bored me shitless hence I nodded off. Once I saw a 30ft Oprah Winfrey appear I couldn't take it seriously (not that you're really supposed to though I guess). 

My 11 year old daughter absolutely loved it...

1 hour ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I fell asleep during Peter Rabbit, judging by the bits I was awake for, it’s was a blessing. The kids raved about it though.

25 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I fell asleep during Peter Rabbit, judging by the bits I was awake for, it’s was a blessing. The kids raved about it though.

Yeah that’s next on the list to go see with them over Easter. I can’t wait :rolleyes:

Guest seanfox778

Strange Days - 7/10

Surprised I have never heard of this before, it’s written by James Cameron and is very ahead of its time. Ex cop Ralph Fiennes (who looks remarkably like Bradley Cooper) sells other people’s memories and experiences to people that they can enjoy in their heads with a device a bit like VR. He receives one himself showing his friend being murdered and he tries to find the killer but uncovers more than he bargained for. It’s a bit long but it’s a good watch and it has a great cast.

8BF154D6-44C3-4171-8577-4F55FB369035.jpeg

14 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Yeah that’s next on the list to go see with them over Easter. I can’t wait :rolleyes:

It's got to be better than Cars 3. 

14 hours ago, Strokes said:

James Corden plays an arrogant twatty rabbit and I don’t think he needs to act much tbh.

Am I the only person who dislikes James Corden. I even detest his adverts despite them usually having good music.

23 minutes ago, FIF said:

It's got to be better than Cars 3. 

Am I the only person who dislikes James Corden. I even detest his adverts despite them usually having good music.

No I can’t stand him. He epitomises all that is wrong with the world. A vile self centred, self promoting, c**t.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Watched Thor: Ragnarok last night with my lad.

Fantastic entertainment. I never thought I'd be the sort of person that would enjoy super hero films but there's a lot to like about this

I disliked super hero films pre-Marvel but I've got to be honest, Avengers and all it's spin offs are superb to be fair.