Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Was looking forward to taking my son to watch peter rabbit at the cinema in March. After watching the trailer dont think ill bother. He absolutley loves the cartoons as well. 

Has no originality to it no charm. Keep the first 10 seconds of the movie and remake the rest please!

3 hours ago, Kyle_Le_Don said:

Was looking forward to taking my son to watch peter rabbit at the cinema in March. After watching the trailer dont think ill bother. He absolutley loves the cartoons as well. 

Has no originality to it no charm. Keep the first 10 seconds of the movie and remake the rest please!

James Corden should be strung up in Trafalgar Square for his crimes against English culture.

• Like 1

Mulholland Drive.....very disturbing in parts.

I'd like to see it again to be sure....but my first impression is it's just too overcomplicated.

It's one of those films that you have to be prepared to accept makes no sense until the end, and even then there will be large chunks of it open to interpretation. I'm sure nerdy film students and pretentious critics love that sort of thing, but the average man in the street wants entertainment. For all it's grand ideas, it's just not nearly as entertaining as so many simpler films. And I'm a fan of Donnie Darko, so I'm not totally against films that are ultimately confusing and odd.

I found the twist a bit cheap, but the real disappointment with films that try to be too clever is that they forget that they're supposed to be entertaining all the way through, not when you're reading about the meaning of it on IMDB afterwards. The story is so strange and disjointed that you can't actually 'follow' it, and the payoff just isn't worth it. It's all a bit unsatisfying.

It's very easy to have a lot of stuff happen in a film that the viewer can't possibly make sense of, and then explain it away in less than 5 minutes with an overly simplified explanation. I don't think that's particularly brilliant, although to it's credit, it has made me say I want to see it again - whether that's because it made so little sense, it was so odd, or the hot lesbian scenes.

EDIT: Less characters and more clues would have made it flow better. When the twist came there was no build up to it so it was totally out of the blue, yet, partly because of that, it didn't blow me away. Interesting film, but it's not quite what it should have been.

Edited by Kitchandro

I also tried The Wicker Man (the original) the other day - unwatchable.

I thought it was a horror but it's most definitely a musical. A small amount of the population enjoy musicals which is why I'm surprised this film is so popular.

A bit like Mulholland Drive but on a more extreme (worse) level, it might have the best end in the history of cinema but that doesn't mean much if the rest of the film is colossally boring. I didn't make it past the 45 minute mark.

The acting was also poor, and casting a Swedish actress to play a scottish person and having every one of her lines dubbed was, to be kind, bizarre.

On 2/5/2018 at 13:58, separator said:

Why not just make a brand new star wars movie? Who wanted it, was there a need for it? We're basically heading in the direction of rebooting star wars aren't we?

They'll have a young luke skywalker film and then we can get the whole band back together again and have new adventures with characters pretending to be the ones we loved, but never quite pulling it off.

Oh, and am I the only one who thinks Emilia Clarke is an horrendous actress.

5 hours ago, Babylon said:

Why not just make a brand new star wars movie? Who wanted it, was there a need for it? We're basically heading in the direction of rebooting star wars aren't we?

They'll have a young luke skywalker film and then we can get the whole band back together again and have new adventures with characters pretending to be the ones we loved, but never quite pulling it off.

Oh, and am I the only one who thinks Emilia Clarke is an horrendous actress.

Lucasfilm have just announced that Game Of Thrones producers have been hired to make a series of new SW films, plus we're still getting Johnson's trilogy, Episode 9 and maybe an Obi Wan spin off as well. Disney taking SW down the Marvel route of 3+ films a year at this rate.

18 minutes ago, separator said:

Lucasfilm have just announced that Game Of Thrones producers have been hired to make a series of new SW films, plus we're still getting Johnson's trilogy, Episode 9 and maybe an Obi Wan spin off as well. Disney taking SW down the Marvel route of 3+ films a year at this rate.

Only one I've enjoyed was rouge one, think I'm done with it now. It's never going to be made for old fans.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2018 at 12:28, Costock_Fox said:

Watched a film called Wind River the other day, really enjoyed it. 8/10.

Paid my fiver to Sky and watched it the night before last ...   thought it was brilliant !!    9 and a bit/10.

(Don't know what he was using at the end weapon wise ...   but I want one !! ...   need a howitzer to knock people that far back ! ...   wonder it didn't take his arm off ...   lol).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Paid my fiver to Sky and watched it the night before last ...   thought it was brilliant !!    9 and a bit/10.

(Don't know what he was using at the end weapon wise ...   but I want one !! ...   need a howitzer to knock people that far back ! ...   wonder it didn't take his arm off ...   lol).

It is a cracking film. lol yeah it all went a bit Pete tonge didn’t it, loved him getting the guy to run on the mountain.

Guest seanfox778

Venom teaser trailer has been released. One of my favourite characters from the Marvel world, bit annoyed you don’t get to see any Venom footage in the trailer though.

I have to edit to say that I usually moan that trailers give away too much these days so I guess I can’t have it both ways lol

Edited by seanfox778

Den of Thieves is a solid 7/10 heist action film.

It's how a GTA heist would go in real life, where cops have tactical knowledge and see patterns rather than giving up chasing you if you ramp your getaway car off the pier then hide underneath it for five minutes, so they don't see you and get bored.

Belko Experiment - 80 Americans are locked in their high-rise corporate office and ordered by an unknown voice to participate in a deadly game of kill or be killed. 

Really enjoyed this ,8/10

On 1/21/2018 at 21:39, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

So I saw Coco today with the missus... I'm 25 and I don't care what people say Disney films are still great lol

Watched this yesterday with the kids. Didn't have great expectations of it but it was brilliant!

made this grown man cry at the end!

• Like 1

Saw Phantom Thread the other day. Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys films based on character/relationships rather than action.

Mesmerising performance from Daniel Day-Lewis as a charismatic, domineering, perfectionist 1950s couturier used to getting his own way.

Even better than Oldman in Darkest Hour - and the other lead characters and dramatic tension in Phantom Thread are better.

Good tension and power battles between the 3 main characters: Day-Lewis plus Vicky Krieps & Lesley Manville as his wilful, forceful new partner and his spinster sister/devoted guard-dog.

A lot of humour in the inter-play, too. 

The second genuinely outstanding film I've seen in a month - after "Billboards".