Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Europa Report - indie flick from 2013 with Embeth Davitz, Sharlto Copely and Michael Nyqvist.

A mission is made to send a bunch of humans out to Europa to see what's going on...and it all predictably goes Pete Tong, though not in the way you might think and the narration style is pretty different to the standard SF genre. 

Underrated in my opinion, worth a look.

Is Cloverfield saga worth following? I thought the first one was not too bad,  I have not seen the second and third one. If all films are all sprawled over few years with no discernible links with other each then I cannot be arsed to watch them all. 

Edited by The Blur

Guest seanfox778
1 hour ago, The Blur said:

Is Cloverfield saga worth following? I thought the first one was not too bad,  I have not seen the second and third one. If all films are all sprawled over few years with no discernible links with other each then I cannot be arsed to watch them all. 

I haven’t watched the third film but the 2nd one is an decent watch, it’s nothing like the first film. Not sure if I’m going to bother with the third one though as it looks a bit pants.

Edited by seanfox778

7 hours ago, The Blur said:

The third one is pretty shit.

Basically someone made a terrible film, the studio abandoned it, Netflix did a deal to take the film and a deal with bad Robot to randomly stick on the clover field tag on it, film a new scene for the end and suddenly it's part of a trilogy.

It was never meant to exist together, was just a way of drawing people in to watch a load of shit.

10 hours ago, The Blur said:

The first is excellent, the second is very good and the third looks like the biggest bag of turd I’ve ever seen so I’m not going near it.

I didn't think The Cloverfield Paradox was too bad. It's not great but is watchable if you like sci-fi. It is certainly no worse than 90% of the other films on netflix.

Can't help but suspect all the terrible reviews are a result of the industry closing ranks against the method of release. 

5 hours ago, Babylon said:

The third one is pretty shit.

Basically someone made a terrible film, the studio abandoned it, Netflix did a deal to take the film and a deal with bad Robot to randomly stick on the clover field tag on it, film a new scene for the end and suddenly it's part of a trilogy.

It was never meant to exist together, was just a way of drawing people in to watch a load of shit.

Not sure if that is the case

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/the-cloverfield-paradox/55614/the-cloverfield-paradox-jj-abrams-explains-the-ending

I guess if Cloverfield series pick up in the future then I would consider watching 2nd and 3rd again.  

1 hour ago, The Blur said:

Not sure if that is the case

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/the-cloverfield-paradox/55614/the-cloverfield-paradox-jj-abrams-explains-the-ending

I guess if Cloverfield series pick up in the future then I would consider watching 2nd and 3rd again.  

It was never meant to be a cloverfield film 100%, it was only when they realised it was a giant turkey that they slapped the cloverfield name on it towards the end of production and shot scenes to link them.

I think it's a bit mad that the new Cloverfield's been panned as an unoriginal re-packaging of stale Sci-Fi tropes even though it brings a few interesting and fairly novel plot elements into play (

for instance the alternate Earth reveal was pretty cool though it does raise questions about how our guys were spatially consistent enough with the alternate universe space station to absorb one of its crew who should have been on the other side of the sun orbiting its version of Earth...

) and is more guilty of relying on inventive but disjointed nonsense to arbitrarily advance the plot... Whereas a comparable recent release, Bright, was relatively well received as a re-imagining of typical fantasy themes (because nobody's done fantasy in a contemporary setting before) despite being far more guilty of leaning on stale genre tropes to keep its dull, predictable plot moving. 

Both are pretty guilty of hiding behind fancy visuals but of the two I'd rather watch Cloverfield again because it at least has the odd element that makes you stop and think for a second... plus I'm mad at Bright for being touted in some corners as Shadowrun: The Film which is frankly an insulting notion akin to calling the Twilight series an adaptation of Bram Stoker's work.

The mrs had never seen any of the Indiana jones films so bought the blu Ray box set a few weeks ago and have been going through them one by one and loving them , but I’ve been dreading getting to the crystal skull as it was one of the biggest let downs in film history for me.

watched it tonight and it still is as bad as I remember , the plot is all over the place and the script is abysmal. Cate blanchet as a Russian is so bad it’s not funny , such a shame but the mrs actually liked it. 

Edited by grth2004

8 minutes ago, grth2004 said:

The mrs had never seen any of the Indiana jones films so bought the blu Ray box set a few weeks ago and have been going through them one by one and loving them , but I’ve been dreading getting to the crystal skull as it was one of the biggest let downs in film history for me.

watched it tonight and it still is as bad as I remember , the plot is all over the place and the script is abysmal. Cate blanchet as a Russian is so bad it’s not funny , such a shame but the mrs actually liked it. 

Remember watching that at the cinema. Indy hiding in a fridge to escape a nuclear bomb is definitely a WTF moment! A new Indiana Jones film is in production as well, Harrison Ford reprising his role too. Most likely be called Raiders Of The Lost Mobility Scooter.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, separator said:

Remember watching that at the cinema. Indy hiding in a fridge to escape a nuclear bomb is definitely a WTF moment! A new Indiana Jones film is in production as well, Harrison Ford reprising his role too. Most likely be called Raiders Of The Lost Mobility Scooter.

More like Indiana Jones and the dentures of doom.