Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Watched the film Christine yesterday. Based on a true story and the synopsis on Sky basically just said what was going to happen and the whole film was just building up to the moment you were waiting for (even if you didn't know of the story). Not very well done, really.

Edited by RonnieTodger

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 13:00, Wookie said:

I love Fantastic Mr Fox so I reckon it’ll be fun

It wasnt as good as Fantastic Mr Fox but was ok. The annimation is perfect so impressive but the story is a bit bloated and gets a bit boring half way through.

• Thanks 1

On 3/23/2018 at 16:16, CarbonVirtine said:

Off to see 'Lady Bird' tonight. Looking forward to it so I hope I'm not building my expectations too much. In an ideal world, I think it'd better to see a film without having an idea about it, so your reaction can be genuinely your own. But then how would you know about it? It's rare to go and watch a film and have absolutely no expectation.

I recall seeing 'Groundhog Day' one rainy midweek afternoon. I'd nothing else to do, fancied seeing a film and just pitched up a local cinema on spec. Blimey I enjoyed that film. Probably more so than was merited but I'll not forget that experience.

On 3/25/2018 at 14:42, Alf Bentley said:

Thoughts? I enjoyed it. Not absolutely sensational, but at least 7/10.

On 3/25/2018 at 16:06, CarbonVirtine said:

I've been meaning to type something up.

I was underwhelmed tbh. It's a very watchable and pleasant film but one with no gravitas. That's not a criticism btw; by my own definitions 'Lady Bird' is a good film in that it does what it sets out to do, stays true to its own remit and doesn't get ideas above its station (I hate films that preach). So, yes, agreed, a solid 7 out of 10.

I knew from the intro music that I wasn't about to watch the movie that I'd realised I'd anticipated. It's light and whimsical, and does that well to be far. It's never dull but does sometimes sag a litttle. There's no deep soul searching required, it doesn't ask profound nor troubling questions. So that's what the the film wasn't, on to what it was (without spoilers!) Saiorse Ronan (23) plays 'Lady Bird' (17).  I mention the age because occassionaly Saiorse has the demenaour of her actual years, and that jarred for me and took something away from her performance. She was otherwise solid in an unchallenging role, but not a performance I thought worthy of a Oscar nomination. Laurie Metcalf, on the otherhand, fully deserved hers as Lady Bird's mum. In fact, I'd say that hers was the performance of the film.  

A final oddity; usually with the films, I can tell when it's about to end (without looking at the time!)  Films run their course, an end point is reached and it feels right when and where they end. As Lady Bird's plane took off for New York, I thought 'this could be a closing scene' yet it didn't feel like it. It felt like it could be a long film as an end point hadn't been signaled and a new environment was to be introduced. A little later, an event triggers the denouement. The event itself was almost random, there was no particular justification for it to trigger the end (other than suddenly 'growing up') yet it did. At first it felt like the movie abruptly called time on itself, but then I realised that life can be like that - something happens, you reflect and decide to change. Maybe that counts as the film's gravitas, I don't know. 

The line of the film for me (is that a spoiler?) was 'if you had boobs I wouldn't feel them either out of respect'. That made me chuckle.

I absolutely adored everything about it...

...and I think the reason was because I could identify with the characters and how similar their lifestyle is to my family. 

The reason I watched it is because my own daughter is off to a CofE secondary school soon and growing up fast. All the stuff that Ladybird went through I'm sure I'll experience with my own daughter before too long.

I hadn't seen the trailer or read up much on it, apart the headlines and seeing it scores 98% on rotten tomatoes, so I figured it might be quite good.

There were lots of funny moments I thought and regardless of her age in 'real life' I thought Ronan was magnificent in it as was her Mum as you've mentioned. I spent the whole film thinking "where have I seen her before?" and Googed it when I got back. Obviously from Roseanne on TV in the 90's but jeez she's aged!

A pleasant surprise and an 8/10 for me. 

Got talked into seeing The Greatest Showman with the Mrs... didn't think I'd be saying this but it was great. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, I didn't think it would be mine. But it's just a bundle of entertainment, catchy music, singing and dancing with a bit of heart in there. Been humming the bloody music all afternoon. 

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Got talked into seeing The Greatest Showman with the Mrs... didn't think I'd be saying this but it was great. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, I didn't think it would be mine. But it's just a bundle of entertainment, catchy music, singing and dancing with a bit of heart in there. Been humming the bloody music all afternoon. 

I really enjoyed it and I expected to hate it

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The story itself was a bit cringe but the music was decent. I enjoyed it.

Guest seanfox778
15 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Anyone know any good films on Netflix? 

Good Will Hunting is a classic. Look Who’s Back is a good satire about Hitler in today’s society.

34 minutes ago, seanfox778 said:

Good Will Hunting is a classic. 

Funny that, I hated in. I would have walked out if I could have. I found it trite, sugary gloop. Stunned that it got Oscar nods.

Still, we're all different and like different things. And long may that continue. 

22 hours ago, Babylon said:

Lol, really?!

A million dreams are keeping me awaaaake

Loads of auto tuning all over it

1 minute ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Lol, really?!

A million dreams are keeping me awaaaake

Loads of auto tuning all over it

It's a big old cheese fest, paper thin story and characters, but it is was it is... bright, fun, loud. I left entertained, so it did its job.

Its still in the cinema after what, three months? And keeps making good money, OST at number one for weeks. So they did something right.

Felt like watching a west end show in the cinema. 

Seems funny that the critic / film going response seems to match the one in the film.