Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

On 3/19/2018 at 19:34, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Caught up at last with the film Gravity with Sandra Bullock in it

bloody good

mind you I could watch Lovely Sandra in anything to be fair

If that genre is your thing, get stuck into Europa Report. Indie flick with Sharlto Copely, Michael Nyqvist and a few others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbw9hlBnG74

5 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Molly's Game = excellent.

Went to see it on the 'Silver Screen' with all the old dears today. Only £3 to get in and a free cup of tea!!

A really interesting story and if you're into poker you'll love it. Idris Elba struggled with the american accent a bit but Jessica Chastain was superb. And for 40 years old she's still got one hell of a rack on her which was a huge distraction throughout.

I'm big on poker so I really want to see this one. Suprised that Idris had his accent slipping when he did so well with it in The Wire.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Molly's Game = excellent.

Went to see it on the 'Silver Screen' with all the old dears today. Only £3 to get in and a free cup of tea!!

A really interesting story and if you're into poker you'll love it. Idris Elba struggled with the american accent a bit but Jessica Chastain was superb. And for 40 years old she's still got one hell of a rack on her which was a huge distraction throughout.

And she's ginger so you're maybe in with a shout, Izzy.

39 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I'm big on poker so I really want to see this one. Suprised that Idris had his accent slipping when he did so well with it in The Wire.

I never saw him in The Wire so can't really compare. You might think his accent is fine in this Mac but I wasn't convinced. Apart from that it's a great film and I'd highly recommend it. 

20 minutes ago, Buce said:

And she's ginger so you're maybe in with a shout, Izzy.

:D She's jet black in this one but I Googled her when I got back (to check what else she'd been in :ph34r:) and did indeed notice she is a fellow beautiful ginger specimen like me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Webbo said:

I found out that the man who played the young Mayor in The  Wire was Irish, were there any yanks in it at all?

Most of the "street" cast are American, a lot are actually Baltimore locals. 

British actors are cheap though and often show up in HBO dramas. 

You think The Wire is mad, look at the cast of Band of Brothers. lol

Damian Lewis 

Stephen Graham

Simon Pegg

Dexter Fletcher 

James Mcavoy 

Tom Hardy

Shane Taylor 

Ross Mccall 

Michael Fassbender (albeit as a Brit) 

Then God knows how many extras. 

Edited by Finnegan

7 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Got to see 3 Billboards earlier in the week.

I enjoyed it too.

I didn't think it an Oscar 'best film' contender (for me, it was a tad unbalanced; the black humour misplaced/didn't always work, and I found the questionable morality a little unsettling) but it's certainly up there amongst my top 10 films of the year.

I saw 'The Shape of Water' yesterday. It's beautifully shot; colours very reminiscent of 'Amelie' and a has a similar 'fairy tale' vibe too, also reminded me of a Tim Burton movie, particularly 'Edward Scissorhands'.  It's not as arty as I was expecting, it's actually quite a straightforward construction really and thematically obvious. Overall, well acted and a tale well told but I think my expectations perhaps weighed against it. Also, for some reason, I felt childishly let down that the 'monster' was only a man in a suit! Worth seeing though.

Edit: just saw ozleicester's post. 'I, Tonya' is an excellent movie. I really enjoyed that. It could have been maybe 15 minutes shorter by (ironically) cutting out some of the Kerrigan incident (ironic because it's probably what most people know about and go to see the movie for!) It's a very sympathetic portrayal of Tonya Harding, and asks very searching questions about class (and, to some extent, poverty) and it's role in success in the US. 

Edited by CarbonVirtine
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CarbonVirtine said:

The first time I saw Idris Elba was in The Wire. I didn't know he wasn't an American. 

He's intelligent in that he keeps his accent very neutral. Best way to pull off an accent is to keep it as subtle as possible. 

McNulty's American accent was apparently a bit shit to Americans. I do love the scene where he puts on a fake English voice though. 

Hugh Laurie does something similar in House a couple of times which makes me giggle. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CarbonVirtine said:

I saw 'The Shape of Water' yesterday. It's beautifully shot; colours very reminiscent of 'Amelie' and a has a similar 'fairy tale' vibe too, also reminded me of a Tim Burton movie, particularly 'Edward Scissorhands'.  It's not as arty as I was expecting, it's actually quite a straightforward construction really and thematically obvious. Overall, well acted and a tale well told but I think my expectations perhaps weighed against it. Also, for some reason, I felt childishly let down that the 'monster' was only a man in a suit! Worth seeing though.

Edit: just saw ozleicester's post. 'I, Tonya' is an excellent movie. I really enjoyed that. It could have been maybe 15 minutes shorter by (ironically) cutting out some of the Kerrigan incident (ironic because it's probably what most people know about and go to see the movie for!) It's a very sympathetic portrayal of Tonya Harding, and asks very searching questions about class (and, to some extent, poverty) and it's role in success in the US. 

thanks for the spoiler

On 3/6/2018 at 13:41, egg_fried_rice said:

I would say Shape of Water & Get Out were both better than average films but not exceptional. Shape of Water isn't even GDT's best film imo. Same goes for Three Billboards although that was probably my favourite of the three.

Seem to have missed Phantom Thread at my local cinemas which I'm a bit gutted about as Paul Thomas Anderson is one of my favourite directors and There Will be Blood one of my favourite films - anyone seen this one?

I agree re. Shape of Water: decent, but not exceptional. Amazed that it got the "best film" Oscar. I'd have given it to Three Billboards - extraordinary mixture of emotion and very black humour - producing a film about rape, murder and the quest for justice and making it laugh-aloud funny takes some doing.

Phantom Thread was outstanding, though definitely not one for people who like lots of action, more about the interplay of personalities and power, but with a fair bit of humour again - and an outstanding performance from Daniel Day-Lewis. I'd have even given him the best actor Oscar just ahead of Gary Oldman, I think - a less dramatic performance, but exceptional range, power and charisma from a more restrained delivery.

On 3/13/2018 at 08:46, lgfualol said:

My gf wanted to watch Mamma Mia and I thought I would be nice and watch it too.

Big mistake. What a giant pile of shit film. Avoid at all costs if you haven't watched it yet.

You only need one Abba-oriented film..... an oldie, but a good one:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Phantom Thread was outstanding

Agreed. A real actors movie. When you see Day-Lewis do his stuff, his commitment to the role etc, it makes you realise what a craft acting truly can be. His every face twitch is in character! I know some critique him for being too overboard sometimes (and I know what's being referred to) but he's just brilliant in this.

• Like 1

I haven't seen 'Darkest Hour' so I can't judge Oldman's performance in that but I think he was 'robbed!' back whenever 'Tinker Tailor Solder Spy' was nominated. For me, his was the performance of the year (of the stuff I saw anyway!) - so nuanced and restrained - but I think the judges must have fallen in love with 'The Artist' and so awarded it just about everything! That French geezer was good in his cute comedic role, 'tis true, but it wasn't worthy of the top gong imho.

So maybe the academy evened the scores for Oldman ;) I mean, Day-Lewis has a few now.

Edited by CarbonVirtine

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

You only need one Abba-oriented film..... an oldie, but a good one:

totally brilliant film  Tania to Muriel" who do you think you are to call me that! i'm married, i'm beautiful" then she pulls an ugly face. hilarious..

58 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

totally brilliant film  Tania to Muriel" who do you think you are to call me that! i'm married, i'm beautiful" then she pulls an ugly face. hilarious..

One of the best lines in the film is just before that, by Tania again:

"I'm giving it another chance with Chook -- as soon as he gets out of the correction centre.

They've accused him of raping a Japanese tourist, which is ridiculous!

Chook hates the Japanese!"