Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

We have to find a batsman of some experience next season who can support Ackers and nurture the youngsters. I know that’s easier said than done. Either that or find an overseas who can bat top 3. Otherwise we rarely get enough to give the bowlers a chance. The depth of our decline is really rather sad.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, harpendenfox said:

We have to find a batsman of some experience next season who can support Ackers and nurture the youngsters. I know that’s easier said than done. Either that or find an overseas who can bat top 3. Otherwise we rarely get enough to give the bowlers a chance. The depth of our decline is really rather sad.

Agree. Said it the other day three batsmen short

Bowling not brilliant but they do keep going at least. Certainly some potential. 

Its tough for Evans to open, i think he is a good lad but maybe number 6 would be better while he learns the game. 

At least Lillie is playing. I mean he seems to do something when he plays. Bowled well today and can bat. 

How has he been behind Rhodes and Dearden in the pecking order? 

• Like 1

I realise the batting is generally poor but it feels like overall this summer has been a step forward for us. We look sharper and more organised in the field and have been more competitive in our games, even though we are in probably the hardest group (ie up against 3 big test ground teams - Lancs, Notts and Yorks). I realise that other counties are blooding youngsters and don't have overseas players this summer but even so it feels like we are now on the right road under Nixon. The next step is to improve recruitment so we don't have any more Rhodes. As Cake says, adding 2 or 3 experienced and reliable batters would make a massive difference.

• Like 1

So up until the end of last season we had a full time batting coaching. Now we don't as far as I know, and I suspect we can't afford one. However, we could hire someone on a freelance basis to provide technical input. Jonathan Trott for example. Some of his durability would be such a boon for our younger batters I suspect, and I would hope it wouldn't break the bank either.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

So up until the end of last season we had a full time batting coaching. Now we don't as far as I know, and I suspect we can't afford one. However, we could hire someone on a freelance basis to provide technical input. Jonathan Trott for example. Some of his durability would be such a boon for our younger batters I suspect, and I would hope it wouldn't break the bank either.

Possibly look at an older pro who could play and coach for us. 

I imagine alot of players are moving on at the end of this year due to Budget restraints. 

Ask Ian Bell

31 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

Can't imagine someone employed by England would be interested in chipping in at a county too. Even on a freelance basis. Imagine he will be away a fair bit with England next year.... although if his travel issues still exist perhaps he will only work on home England series?

I don't understand the constant switching of formats in normal summers, but especially in this shortened on, what on earth was the thinking of playing all but one first class rounds, then playing some (most?) T20 matches, then going back to playing the last first class match, then a few more T20?

17 minutes ago, Walkers said:

I don't understand the constant switching of formats in normal summers, but especially in this shortened on, what on earth was the thinking of playing all but one first class rounds, then playing some (most?) T20 matches, then going back to playing the last first class match, then a few more T20?

I guess because of the shortened timeframe they thought it'd give them a better chance of ensuring some games got played in both tournaments if there were prolonged spells of inclement weather?

Oh, that and a bit of TV scheduling too probably.

20 hours ago, Walkers said:

Me neither, it makes little sense to be playing T20 one day and 4 day the next and then back to T20. No wonder there were some strange scores in the last round of championship fixtures.

Nick Welch????

He may turn out to be a great signing but surely we could have played him a few times and had a look at him. 

Not if every county is snapping at his heels trying to give him a contract. 

Then two years for a guy who has never really played at this level.before. 

33 minutes ago, Cake said:

Nick Welch????

He may turn out to be a great signing but surely we could have played him a few times and had a look at him. 

Not if every county is snapping at his heels trying to give him a contract. 

Then two years for a guy who has never really played at this level.before. 

Not going to attract anyone better, particularly with the financial situation. 

11 minutes ago, SMX11 said:

Not going to attract anyone better, particularly with the financial situation. 

May be not but id just offer pay and play contracts initially. 

Unless im missing something and lots of other counties were after him. 

But he may be a great player going forward.