Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

Hampshire

Probably quite a safe bet, no massive affinity to cricket down there, always felt like that ground was built specifically for England and T20 and selling that to that part of the country. 

**Felt I need to clarify... aware of their historical standing in the game, but don't think focus in that part of the country is on Cricket as a sport, with the 2 football teams dominating attention now. With T20 and Hundred more appealing to the locals now.

Edited by AjcW

You throw that in with the plans for the 100 to become a 10 team competition, I think the writing is firmly on the wall for the have nots. 

Will pretty much become second grade clubs - and wouldn't surprise me to see the '100 counties' having B teams playing at some of their preferred outgrounds. Make the game bigger at the top but shrink its base and roots. 

Hampshire sold themselves out years ago when they called themselves Royals. Yorkshire are a joke of a county club too, they really deserve winding up with whole Graves fiasco. 

I would however be interested how people would react if a filthy rich Indian benefactor showed an interest in Leicestershire. 

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

would however be interested how people would react if a filthy rich Indian benefactor showed an interest in Leicestershire.

Would be terrific. Given more than a third of City population is Indian or Indian ethnicity, the club needs more from locality (only Ramji currently fits that bill I think). I guess funding etc far more opportunities for children to get involved would be a very good start. Given Indian enthusiasm -and ability - for cricket, it is disappointing that is not reflected in Leicestershire - and other County teams.

• Like 1

Just now, Tommy Fresh said:

With the ECB seemingly wanting to compete with the big franchise leagues, have they ever just considered allowing Counties to have more than 2 overseas players for the blast? 

They want to kill the blast not support it

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

They want to kill the blast not support it

They don't want to be overt in doing so though really do they and prior to the hundred I'm sure they were thinking of ways to make it a bigger thing than it is currently. Allowing sides to have 4 overseas in a side would improve things.

3 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

They don't want to be overt in doing so though really do they and prior to the hundred I'm sure they were thinking of ways to make it a bigger thing than it is currently. Allowing sides to have 4 overseas in a side would improve things.

Not sure many sides could afford to have  4 OS players some struggle to even have 2

36 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

Not sure many sides could afford to have  4 OS players some struggle to even have 2

ECB could of (aware they won't) easily subsidised it to improve it as a proposition. Also Leicestershire for the most part can afford 4, how often have we had 2 overseas then had additional lads for T20. 

2 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

ECB could of (aware they won't) easily subsidised it to improve it as a proposition. Also Leicestershire for the most part can afford 4, how often have we had 2 overseas then had additional lads for T20. 

Yes true but they  haven't had 4 OS players on the payroll all at the same time

1 hour ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Surely we pay players something who aren't going to be involved in the blast but need to keep them around.

They just get paid for the comps they play in ie Hendricks championship and  the 50 over competition 

On 18/01/2024 at 10:48, Graceroad said:

They just get paid for the comps they play in ie Hendricks championship and  the 50 over competition 

As a few may have seen by now, some counties including Middlesex are having to count their pennies and with the T20 World Cup going on around the same time, look like having a 100% domestic squad for the coming season. 

Certainly helps with their carbon footprint!

23 hours ago, Graceroad said:

Haircut 100 coming to Grace Road might sell 50 tickets 

A smaller event (3,5k), not the whole ground. They have already been to De Mont in October as well. Four more live acts to be announced apparently

19 hours ago, Cakey said:

They were awful the first time round

Haircut 100 were excellent in last year's tour, because their musicianship has gone up several notches over the past 40 years. This event sounds a decent initiative by the club (depending on who the other bands are...).

21 hours ago, Zorrovolpe said:

Haircut 100 were excellent in last year's tour, because their musicianship has gone up several notches over the past 40 years. This event sounds a decent initiative by the club (depending on who the other bands are...).

Good luck to them. Hopefully it's successful

Not my sort of music but as long as it sells well its great.