Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

16 hours ago, Graceroad said:

Disappointed  that they will be using  an outground for a 4 day game again so just 6 championship matches at GR

Yeah I would prefer it also to be just the one day stuff. Looks like we do have a one day home game yet to have the ground announced so perhaps Kibworth get that and the 4 day is between Oakham and Uppingham.

On 23/11/2023 at 17:16, Graceroad said:

Disappointed  that they will be using  an outground for a 4 day game again so just 6 championship matches at GR

I love an outground. Home or away. English cricket at its best. 

Kibworth was fantastic last year. I've loved Oakham. Pity we don't use Hinckley anymore for the Warwickshire match as we used to.

Always slightly surprised we don't use Loughborough Uni. The pitch is prepped to first class standards. 

• Like 1

Just now, Paninistickers said:

Kibworth was fantastic last year. I've loved Oakham. Pity we don't use Hinckley anymore for the Warwickshire match as we used to.

Always slightly surprised we don't use Loughborough Uni. The pitch is prepped to first class standards. 

I come from Loughborough and once watched a County match there, at the Brush (who were bought out by Hawker Sidderly) sports ground on Forest Rd.  As a matter of interest, does the same sports ground exist, and is the cricket ground you mention there?   (Maybe the university grounds are the more likely location now). Thanks

19 minutes ago, deep blue said:

I come from Loughborough and once watched a County match there, at the Brush (who were bought out by Hawker Sidderly) sports ground on Forest Rd.  As a matter of interest, does the same sports ground exist, and is the cricket ground you mention there?   (Maybe the university grounds are the more likely location now). Thanks

I think back in the 60s county played at brush sports. The ground I'm referring to is on the uni campus, tho set aside and quite locked off by a tree lined perimeter. It looks to all intents and purposes a first class ground, albeit without any spectator stands. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, deep blue said:

I’m not sure if the Loughborough Greenfields ground is the same one or was built as a replacement. It’s also close to Forest Road, but not on it.

Loughborough Town’s Park Road might be an option too especially with the Dips Patel connection. 

Just now, Paninistickers said:

I think back in the 60s county played at brush sports. The ground I'm referring to is on the uni campus, tho set aside and quite locked off by a tree lined perimeter. It looks to all intents and purposes a first class ground, albeit without any spectator stands. 

Thanks for that, and for the info from when-Im_smilimg (I haven't yet learned how to paste up multi quotes!!).  

I go back to the 50's & 60's in Loughborough.  I watched the County at the old Brush Sports ground.  I also used to cycle through the Uni (it was a college then) grounds to school, passing along the running track where Robbie Brightwell used to train.

As it happens, I also used to score for the Loughborough Town cricket team in the early 60s so I know their ground well - as it was then.  It was a nice compact ground but I can't imagine it having much in the way of spectator facilities unless it has changed over the years.

It's a pity that the 4-day format is limited to so few games as there must be a few towns where it would be good to host the 4-day games once in the calendar.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Too small isn’t it? 

22 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

According to Cricket Archive, Leicestershire played 16 first class (15 of them County Championship) matches at the Brush ground between 1953 and 1965. The last started on 19th June 1965 against Middlesex which Leicestershire won by ten wickets. See also https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brush_Ground

• Thanks 1

On 25/11/2023 at 11:39, Lionator said:

There's probably only Oakham and Kibworth plus Loughborough Uni which have the facility to host a first class game I think. 

Hinckley probably could if it wasn't so run down (assuming it hasn't changed since I last played there around 10 years ago). It's a shame Harborough were never willing to play the 2nd XI hosting game or they might have had a shot, buy always on to a loser up against Kibworth's millions in that part of the county anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...