Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

Just now, Countryfox said:

At last ! ..  someone has mentioned a leg of lamb and you could get that little belter in ! ...  well done Muzzett ! ..   :)

P.S.  If you want to pm me with a list of other things to mention I’ll bring them up so you you can get some more crappy jokes in ...   :thumbup:

I'll take the assist :)

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

I'd smash that.

It was bloody lovely.

The king of roasts, but not many in my house like it, it's Easter though.

Done in a garlic and rosemary butter.

Might just go and get what's left and eat it like Fred Flintstone lol

4 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Tbf it was quite a good un but I wouldn’t mention that or it might go to his little used to be copper topped now grey bonce  ...   :)

:unsure:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Izzy said:

:unsure:

lol

I'm that grey now, the nieces and nephews all visited in the garden over this weekend, we were talking that the vaccine is currently available for over fifties, but some surgeries in our are area inviting over forties.

The kids looked at each other and basically said "You must be over 50, you've got white hair" :cry:

Little bastards, I'm 41! 

Edited by tom27111
  • Haha 1

Really grips me when recruiters don’t tell you whether you’ve got a job or not. Had a virtual assessment day for a job 3 and half weeks ago, initially was supposed to get a response on whether I got the job or not within 3 days, then that changed to a week and a half, then that got further delayed by another week. By the time they did get back to me they told me that I didn’t get the initial vacancy but they’re requesting approval for an additional vacancy and they’d get back to me within a week. A week goes by and I hear nothing, so I send an email asking for update, they ring me up 10 minutes later telling me I didn’t get the job. Of course I’m disappointed I didn’t get the job but I’m more annoyed the fact they messed me about, and I had to go to them and ask to see if I’d got the job or not. 

2 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

Really grips me when recruiters don’t tell you whether you’ve got a job or not. Had a virtual assessment day for a job 3 and half weeks ago, initially was supposed to get a response on whether I got the job or not within 3 days, then that changed to a week and a half, then that got further delayed by another week. By the time they did get back to me they told me that I didn’t get the initial vacancy but they’re requesting approval for an additional vacancy and they’d get back to me within a week. A week goes by and I hear nothing, so I send an email asking for update, they ring me up 10 minutes later telling me I didn’t get the job. Of course I’m disappointed I didn’t get the job but I’m more annoyed the fact they messed me about, and I had to go to them and ask to see if I’d got the job or not. 

One of my biggest hates is when I apply for a job and then never hear back whether I'm successful or unsuccessful. 

55 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

One of my biggest hates is when I apply for a job and then never hear back whether I'm successful or unsuccessful. 

It’s commonplace unfortunately. Even worse when you’ve had a face to face interview and they still don’t tell you. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

14 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

It’s commonplace unfortunately. Even worse when you’ve had a face to face interview and they still don’t tell you. 

tbh, you don't want to work for a company who can't be arsed to follow up their recruitment process correctly.

If they haven't got the common courtesy to say you've been unsuccessful and why, it says a lot about their culture.

Fvck em, there's plenty of good businesses out there who do take the time to give feedback and get back to your promptly. They're the types of business you want to work for.

• Like 4

I’ve not enjoyed this week at work at all, it seems like with home working more and more is being expected of me. I found out this week that I can either work from home permanently or take redundancy and after 15 years in the business I’m very tempted.

It’s a big decision and unfortunately with my mental health really being in tatters recently it’s a really difficult decision to make. Financially, I’ll get pretty much a years wages and then another 6 months pay for my notice period and this feels like an opportunity to cash in/ prepare to do something else other than be sat in a spare bedroom on Teams calls for the rest of my working life.

27 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I’ve not enjoyed this week at work at all, it seems like with home working more and more is being expected of me. I found out this week that I can either work from home permanently or take redundancy and after 15 years in the business I’m very tempted.

It’s a big decision and unfortunately with my mental health really being in tatters recently it’s a really difficult decision to make. Financially, I’ll get pretty much a years wages and then another 6 months pay for my notice period and this feels like an opportunity to cash in/ prepare to do something else other than be sat in a spare bedroom on Teams calls for the rest of my working life.

I don't know you mate, but you don't strike me as the introverted type who would get job satisfaction stuck in your spare room on your tod. I sense you're more of an outgoing extrovert who likes variety, challenge, and being among other people, so it's about knowing who you really are and what your own motivations and drivers are.  

I've been made redundant twice in my life and both times it bought me the time to figure out what I really wanted to do. With 15 years in one business, that would tell a prospective new employer that you're loyal and know your stuff - I'd guess you're highly employable.

Trust your instincts fella and listen to your heart. Everything happens for a reason imho.

• Like 1

Just now, Izzy said:

I don't know you mate, but you don't strike me as the introverted type who would get job satisfaction stuck in your spare room on your tod. I sense you're more of an outgoing extrovert who likes variety, challenge, and being among other people, so it's about knowing who you really are and what your own motivations and drivers are.  

I've been made redundant twice in my life and both times it bought me the time to figure out what I really wanted to do. With 15 years in one business, that would tell a prospective new employer that you're loyal and know your stuff - I'd guess you're highly employable.

Trust your instincts fella and listen to your heart. Everything happens for a reason imho.

Thanks mate. I’m probably less extroverted than I come across on here but I’m definitely no hermit and it’s really made me think about things. 

When I took on the job I’ve been doing for nearly 3 years now the thing I was most looking forward to was working in an office with lots of people so I could make new friends and it’s feeling like a very slippery slope mentally to be permanently working from home.

Appreciate your comments, I’ve been to some very dark places as a result of this and generally people say about how bad the job market is at the minute and how I should stick with it but the more I think about it it seems like it’s time to gamble.

12 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Thanks mate. I’m probably less extroverted than I come across on here but I’m definitely no hermit and it’s really made me think about things. 

When I took on the job I’ve been doing for nearly 3 years now the thing I was most looking forward to was working in an office with lots of people so I could make new friends and it’s feeling like a very slippery slope mentally to be permanently working from home.

Appreciate your comments, I’ve been to some very dark places as a result of this and generally people say about how bad the job market is at the minute and how I should stick with it but the more I think about it it seems like it’s time to gamble.

Mate if it feels like it's time to gamble, it's because your sixth sense/innate wisdom/natural instinct is telling you it's time to gamble.

The problem is that we fight this instinct, rationalize things, take others' advice and talk ourselves out of what our wisdom is telling us - we play small and we play safe.

At the end of the day, all we're chasing is a feeling of purpose, happiness, contentment, and peace of mind. You know your mental state and you know what makes you happy. You've only got one life mate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

Mate if it feels like it's time to gamble, it's because your sixth sense/innate wisdom/natural instinct is telling you it's time to gamble.

The problem is that we fight this instinct, rationalize things, take others' advice and talk ourselves out of what our wisdom is telling us - we play small and we play safe.

At the end of the day, all we're chasing is a feeling of purpose, happiness, contentment, and peace of mind. You know your mental state and you know what makes you happy. You've only got one life mate.

Completely, just a shame a decent wage/ pension gets in the way of our thoughts lol.

4 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Completely, just a shame a decent wage/ pension gets in the way of our thoughts lol.

I found out last year how hard it can be stuck in a job you hate, or working for people you hate. It's helped I've moved on to work for much better company for more pay, but I still would have moved on at the first opportunity. I woke up everyday dreading going in to work. Ruins your life, so don't stay if its doing that to you.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

tbh, you don't want to work for a company who can't be arsed to follow up their recruitment process correctly.

I work as an internal recruiter for a software consultancy, we provide feedback on every single application that comes through the door successful or not, direct applicants or applications via an agency. We’ve had to have countless, stern conversations with agencies about how they affect our brand and what they do to our market perception when they just ghost candidates like this. 

The amount of times we have candidates who were unsuccessful via an agency come back in to process directly say “well you never gave me any feedback last time” is staggering - I’ve worked agency side too, agency recruiters by and large (there’s some unreal agency recruiters I know who are artists in what they do don’t get me wrong) just won’t bother giving feedback as soon as they know the candidate has been unsuccessful because that’s the end of the gravy train, you aren’t going to make them any money, so they couldn’t give a ****. The moment I was made to ring candidates about jobs that didn’t exist so we could use their CV’s to spec in to prospective clients to try and win new business was the day I jacked it in and went internal. It’s utterly shit and it happens in 99% of the recruitment agencies across all of the different industries unfortunately.

Candidates are treated as commodities and it’s wrong, it’s people’s livelihoods we’re dealing with on a day to day basis. The industry needs a reform but there’s too many agencies spinning the same bullshit unfortunately and too many directors of these businesses who are making shit loads of money, all in each other’s pockets for anything to change. 

Nearly all companies worth their salt have their own internal recruitment functions now, if I could give anyone any advice when looking for work, go to the companies you’re interested in directly, speak to hiring managers, HR and internal recruiters directly, it’s in our best interests to fill the job for the business, not to make a quick 10% commission - UNLESS you have a trusted agency in mind you’ve worked with before, you trust, who you know has a good client base, and you can be confident they aren’t going to give you the run around, of course. 

Edited by Manini
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I found out last year how hard it can be stuck in a job you hate, or working for people you hate. It's helped I've moved on to work for much better company for more pay, but I still would have moved on at the first opportunity. I woke up everyday dreading going in to work. Ruins your life, so don't stay if its doing that to you.

Thanks, the difficulty with this is sometimes it feels like I’m stealing a living and others I feel completely out of my depth. I do feel like I’d be happier elsewhere even if I was on less money, but naturally worry about the unknown.

2 minutes ago, Manini said:

I work as an internal recruiter for a software consultancy, we provide feedback on every single application that comes through the door successful or not, direct applicants or applications via an agency. We’ve had to have countless, stern conversations with agencies about how they affect our brand and what they do to our market perception when they just ghost candidates like this. 

The amount of times we have candidates who were unsuccessful via an agency come back in to process directly say “well you never gave me any feedback last time” is staggering - I’ve worked agency side too, agency recruiters by and large (there’s some unreal agency recruiters I know who are artists in what they do don’t get me wrong) just won’t bother giving feedback as soon as they know the candidate has been unsuccessful because that’s the end of the gravy train, you aren’t going to make them any money, so they couldn’t give a ****. The moment I was made to ring candidates about jobs that didn’t exist so we could use their CV’s to spec in to prospective clients to try and win new business was the day I jacked it in and went internal. It’s utterly shit and it happens in 99% of the recruitment agencies across all of the different industries unfortunately. 

Candidates are treated as commodities and it’s wrong, it’s people’s livelihoods we’re dealing with on a day to day basis. The industry needs a reform but there’s too many agencies spinning the same bullshit unfortunately. 

Nearly all companies worth their salt have their own internal recruitment functions now, if I could give anyone any advice when looking for work, go to the companies you’re interested in directly - UNLESS you have a trusted agency in mind you’ve worked with before, you trust, who you know has a good client base, and you can be confident they aren’t going to give you the run around. 

Great post mate. Must admit that most corporate clients I work with have now taken recruitment in-house and binned off agencies.

What some companies don't realise is that prospective candidates are also your prospective customers. If you treat someone like shit when they apply for a job with you, word spreads and the companies reputation can get trashed as a result. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Great post mate. Must admit that most corporate clients I work with have now taken recruitment in-house and binned off agencies.

What some companies don't realise is that prospective candidates are also your prospective customers. If you treat someone like shit when they apply for a job with you, word spreads and the companies reputation can get trashed as a result. 

The company I work for uses an agency, I have genuinely not been given an update on applications within the company I already work for lol 

20 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Ah, the old 'golden handcuffs' scenario. No wonder so many people feel like corporate hostages.

7 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Thanks, the difficulty with this is sometimes it feels like I’m stealing a living and others I feel completely out of my depth. I do feel like I’d be happier elsewhere even if I was on less money, but naturally worry about the unknown.

We all worry about the unknown mate. As humans, we crave certainty as this gives us psychological safety. But you'll know as well as I do that 99% of the stuff we worry about never transpires. Humans are naturally pessimistic and have a tendency to make shit up bad!

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

The company I work for uses an agency, I have genuinely not been given an update on applications within the company I already work for lol 

FFS, that's shocking. If ever there was a sign.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Spot on. Candidate experience is the absolute go to buzz phrase at the moment but it’s vital, especially in the software industry - tech is the same, projects are similar, benefits packages are the same, salaries are there or thereabouts, so how can companies stand out? Start retaining staff at interview process, whether successful or not. Even if a candidate has been unsuccessful for a job, if they’ve had a pleasant interview experience and felt like they were treated as a person throughout the process, they might tell people they know who are looking for work to apply for the company in the future, or they’ll come back when they’ve gained more experience etc.

All companies should be continuously reviewing their hiring process and always taking feedback from successful and unsuccessful applicants, I still don’t think it’s taken seriously enough across the board, which is a shame because everyone at one point or another will be looking for a job. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Izzy said:

That's true. I'd have defected to Lidl if Aldi had treated me like shit lol