Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Mobile Phone Thread

5 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

little hands and all that :P

I bet your fella loves you! 

You'll soon get used to the size. Though sometimes with a big phone it can be awkward stretching to do stuff if you're holding it with one hand. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Funny enough my Iphone SE which i absolutely loved (due to it being small) started playing up last week, so i decided to bite the bullet and upgrade. Checked online and liked the look of the Iphone XR but it worked out £10 more per month. Decided to give them a call and mention about looking around at better prices etc even though i had been with them for 10+ years. They put me on hold while the girl went off to speak with her supervisor on what the best deal i could get. She came back offering an Iphone 11 on a new 2 year contract and the cost was £1 cheaper per month than what i was paying for the Iphone SE. 

Phone arrived yesterday and i'm well chuffed. Wish it was smaller though - little hands and all that :P But defo worth giving them a ring for a better deal. 

Why didn’t you get another SE Suze ...  the new one is a little bit bigger than the previous one but now cutting edge and smaller than the 11 .....   (so my mother in law tells me) ...   

38 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Why didn’t you get another SE Suze ...  the new one is a little bit bigger than the previous one but now cutting edge and smaller than the 11 .....   (so my mother in law tells me) ...   

I did consider it, but I assumed that since its an older model Apple would soon no longer provide the updated software for it.

I think i just need to get used to 'a bigger one' :P  and go with the times. 

I'm currently trying to decide between the galaxy s10+, Huawei P30 Pro and the oneplus 7t Pro. Anyone got experience with these?

I'm leaning toward the p30 pro as I'm currently using a p20 Pro and only changing because I smashed the lens glass on the back. It's still a great phone and I'd be going sim only if I hadn't done that. 

Edited by chuck'em

10 hours ago, The Bear said:

A quick shout out for Uswitch too. 

They have a comparison page for SIM only deals where you can filter by price/data/network/etc, which is very useful. 

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/compare/sim_only_deals/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_ez2BRCyARIsAJfg-kuR6pPh-Facp18Xf1Fy7SEcQtnwLBano9BopnaImuGETosXzqr_YVIaAv22EALw_wcB

Just had a look at this. 30gb a month, unlimited texts & calls for a tenner a month on smarty mobile.  Is there a catch to this or some small print which says you get a price increase. The offer just seems a bit to good to be true.

20 hours ago, chuck'em said:

I'm currently trying to decide between the galaxy s10+, Huawei P30 Pro and the oneplus 7t Pro. Anyone got experience with these?

I'm leaning toward the p30 pro as I'm currently using a p20 Pro and only changing because I smashed the lens glass on the back. It's still a great phone and I'd be going sim only if I hadn't done that. 

I have a OnePlus 6T. It's still going strong and I wouldn't hesitate to get another.  The OnePlus 8 series has just been released but are slightly more expensive than their previous offerings.

I also use a Huawei P30 Pro at work every now and again.  I have to say, it is super slick and the camera is excellent but I am not a massive fan of the curved edges to the screen.  That aside, it's a great phone.

Not sure about the S10+.  It gets good reviews though.

21 hours ago, chuck'em said:

I'm the same as you. I could upgrade in March from my P20 Pro and it's the first phone i've had where I wasn't rushing into upgrading because it still worked brilliantly, the battery life is immense. Considered sim only but just preferred to get a new one incase the P20 did just keel over suddenly. I actually "upgraded" to a Mate P20 Pro in the end as i'm not arsed about having the latest technology and i'd be saving myself £10 a month, then EE ****ed me around but thats another story. Ended up switching to Sky and a P30 Pro and as someone said above it's still very good, only major difference is the curved edges which don't bother me. Depends what you want from a phone really, I like a good camera and battery life and that is literally Huawei for you. I use my phone a fair bit and at the minute i'm only having to charge it every 2 and a bit days

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Walkers said:

I'm the same as you. I could upgrade in March from my P20 Pro and it's the first phone i've had where I wasn't rushing into upgrading because it still worked brilliantly, the battery life is immense. Considered sim only but just preferred to get a new one incase the P20 did just keel over suddenly. I actually "upgraded" to a Mate P20 Pro in the end as i'm not arsed about having the latest technology and i'd be saving myself £10 a month, then EE ****ed me around but thats another story. Ended up switching to Sky and a P30 Pro and as someone said above it's still very good, only major difference is the curved edges which don't bother me. Depends what you want from a phone really, I like a good camera and battery life and that is literally Huawei for you. I use my phone a fair bit and at the minute i'm only having to charge it every 2 and a bit days

The camera and battery life are the main concerns for me so it sounds like an easy choice. 

• Like 1

On 06/06/2020 at 19:11, chuck'em said:

Similar situation here mate, looking between the oneplus 7T pro or the 8, fair few of my friends all have oneplus and rave about them. 

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Similar situation here mate, looking between the oneplus 7T pro or the 8, fair few of my friends all have oneplus and rave about them. 

I can certainly vouch for OnePlus.  I got my 6T on release day in 2018 with the intention of keeping it for two years, but it's performance hasn't dropped at all and it still does everything I need and more.  Replacing it just isn't on my radar right now.  The only thing I'd say is that OnePlus built their brand on their "flagship killer" tagline, building technically great phones and selling them a good few hundred pounds less than Apple or Samsung.  The OnePlus 8 does seem to have moved away from that "flagship killer" as it is a bit more expensive.  Looks like a great bit of kit though!

• Thanks 1

Just now, nnfox said:

I can certainly vouch for OnePlus.  I got my 6T on release day in 2018 with the intention of keeping it for two years, but it's performance hasn't dropped at all and it still does everything I need and more.  Replacing it just isn't on my radar right now.  The only thing I'd say is that OnePlus built their brand on their "flagship killer" tagline, building technically great phones and selling them a good few hundred pounds less than Apple or Samsung.  The OnePlus 8 does seem to have moved away from that "flagship killer" as it is a bit more expensive.  Looks like a great bit of kit though!

I'd read that actually, they've changed their tag line for the new models "never settle" or similar. Both look really nice phones, and my S7 could really use an upgrade. 

On 04/06/2020 at 18:50, nnfox said:

There are some really good phones out there around that price point.  My lad has a Moto G8 Power which seems to work well.

If I was in the market for a phone around the £250 mark, I'd be taking a long hard look at the Oppo Reno (with its weird flip up shark fin camera thing) currently showing on Amazon as reduced from £450 to £229, or if you wanted to stick with Xaomi, then the Redmi Note 9 Pro looks like a solid offering.

Compare them and others on gsmarena.com

Good luck.

Ordered the Oppo Reno after reading some good reviews, comes tomorrow. Excited!

Fancied the top model with 10x zoom but it's double the price so couldn't justify it

Was tempted to stick with Xiaomi but I remember using one a few years back and I hated MIUI, it seems they butchered Android just for the sake of it and the removal of the app drawer was pointless so steering clear of their non Android One phones

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

I'd read that actually, they've changed their tag line for the new models "never settle" or similar. Both look really nice phones, and my S7 could really use an upgrade. 

"Never Settle" has always been around with them too.  They genuinely seem to be a company that are interested in making great phones, always looking to squeeze a bit more in.  They don't have the massive marketing spend that the likes of Apple and Samsung have to fund and have grown much more organically.  It's one way that they keep prices down.

One thing worth bearing in mind if you are planning on keeping it for 2-3 years or more, and something that might or might not be important to you, is I'm not sure if the 7T is 5G compatible.  Pretty sure the 8 is but this is something you should double check.  For what it's worth, I still think we are a couple of years away from apps/games requiring 5G connectivity.  The infrastructure usually comes first and then companies develop products that benefit from the network and at the moment 5G coverage is patchy at best.  I've even heard that the existing 5G network isn't really proper 5G anyway yet, it's more like 4G+, so still a way to go.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Raj said:

Can you guys help.reccomend s decent smartphone sub £150 please.

Current Moto c is on its last legs.

I don't do gaming so just standard browsing etc...

I had a Xiaomi for the last 2 years and they are great for budget phones. No experience with this particular model but this looks bang on for the money - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xiaomi-Display-Smartphone-Version-Moonshadow/dp/B0872PGVYP/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=xiaomi&qid=1592760357&sr=8-3

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

I had a Xiaomi for the last 2 years and they are great for budget phones. No experience with this particular model but this looks bang on for the money - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xiaomi-Display-Smartphone-Version-Moonshadow/dp/B0872PGVYP/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=xiaomi&qid=1592760357&sr=8-3

Read a couple of recent articles on which is the best budget phone. Google will have plenty. Then look around at those models and decide which is best for you in terms of features/price. Maybe look at reviews or comparisons on gsmarena. 

On 21/06/2020 at 18:48, Raj said:

Can you guys help.reccomend s decent smartphone sub £150 please.

Current Moto c is on its last legs.

I don't do gaming so just standard browsing etc...

17 hours ago, Raj said:

Just been offered a Samsung S8 plus for £80 all boxed etc. Sounds okay I think? It's my daughter's mates dad's!!!

Snap up the S8... great value if new and the battery is good.

Xioami 8T is my current phone, bargain and good quality.. the ONLY downside is the camera in indoor low light

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

hah just seen this is what ive got... happy to answer any questions :)

22 hours ago, Raj said:

Just been offered a Samsung S8 plus for £80 all boxed etc. Sounds okay I think? It's my daughter's mates dad's!!!

If it works fine and is in one piece then that's a good price.  Has it been kept in a case?  They tend to be in better condition than those that have been in and out of pockets and bags without a case.

The phone is 3 years old now but can be upgraded to Android 9.0 if required so should be good for another two or three years yet.  

Do you know if the phone is unlocked to any network or was it used on the same network that you currently use?

1 hour ago, nnfox said:

If it works fine and is in one piece then that's a good price.  Has it been kept in a case?  They tend to be in better condition than those that have been in and out of pockets and bags without a case.

The phone is 3 years old now but can be upgraded to Android 9.0 if required so should be good for another two or three years yet.  

Do you know if the phone is unlocked to any network or was it used on the same network that you currently use?

He's had it in a case and has hardly used it as it's a work.ohobe and he uses his iPhone.  He put his daughters Tesco mobile SIM in and it booted up okay so I presume that will work on my Tesco Sim?

I've just had to contact Tesco though as I have the old style Sim card and this uses the micro.

I've had this Moro c for s good few years and it's on its last legs!!! 

Thanks for the advice

11 minutes ago, Raj said:

He's had it in a case and has hardly used it as it's a work.ohobe and he uses his iPhone.  He put his daughters Tesco mobile SIM in and it booted up okay so I presume that will work on my Tesco Sim?

I've just had to contact Tesco though as I have the old style Sim card and this uses the micro.

I've had this Moro c for s good few years and it's on its last legs!!! 

Thanks for the advice

If the Tesco sim connected to the network then you should be fine.  Maybe ask to test it by calling him or sending him an sms before you part with your cash! That said, you should be able to get the phone unlocked for a small fee.

If you preferred a new phone and the peace of mind that comes with that, referring back to your original post stating a budget of £150, Argos have a range of half decent phones in the £130-150 bracket.  There are a couple of Motos and the Honor and Huawei "lite" phones are watered down versions of their £800+ flagship phones.  

56 minutes ago, nnfox said:

If the Tesco sim connected to the network then you should be fine.  Maybe ask to test it by calling him or sending him an sms before you part with your cash! That said, you should be able to get the phone unlocked for a small fee.

If you preferred a new phone and the peace of mind that comes with that, referring back to your original post stating a budget of £150, Argos have a range of half decent phones in the £130-150 bracket.  There are a couple of Motos and the Honor and Huawei "lite" phones are watered down versions of their £800+ flagship phones.  

Cheers for your information and advice again Pal.

I think I'll go for the Samsung as everyone has said good things about it and s couple at work have it and recommend it too.

Hopefully it'll bode me well for a few years. Cheers bud

• Like 1