Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Mobile Phone Thread

51 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Thinking of upgrading soon. Currently got an S7 and it's got to the stage where it's just lagging all the time. Don't want to be paying through the nose for a flagship, so I was thnking of an older one like an S9 or S10e. Anyone got any reccomendations for around £400-£550?

Older like an s9/s10e that made me laugh lol

I have the s9+ got it when it was released and its brilliant but they are pricey.  Unless i get a deal next time i will be going for a cheaper phone.

10 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Older like an s9/s10e that made me laugh lol

I have the s9+ got it when it was released and its brilliant but they are pricey.  Unless i get a deal next time i will be going for a cheaper phone.

I say older but I don't want a bag of sh*t lol just don't want to be paying top dollar just because it's the latest version. 

• Like 2

I was paying £40 a month for an s8 on ee, with 4gb data. Got a text a couple days ago claiming I had been specially selected to upgrade early, waiving the entire early upgrade fee (in my case £140), and giving me a 25% discount on monthly contract fee. Was a bit sceptical but did a bit of research and as my s8 was starting to play up a bit (battery life was getting worse and worse), decided to give ee a call. Having looked through the options before calling, I had decided I wanted an s10e, everything checked out and I took the deal. Phone arrived yesterday and i much prefer it to the s8 and the bigger s10. 

So I've gone from paying £40 a month for an s8 with 4gb data (contract due to expire in february), to paying £33 a month for an s10e with nothing upfront and no future costs, with 30gb a month data. Oh and I have a free gift of some 150 quid wireless headphones on the way to me as well! Quite like my phones and tech so I'm pretty happy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kopic said:

I was paying £40 a month for an s8 on ee, with 4gb data. Got a text a couple days ago claiming I had been specially selected to upgrade early, waiving the entire early upgrade fee (in my case £140), and giving me a 25% discount on monthly contract fee. Was a bit sceptical but did a bit of research and as my s8 was starting to play up a bit (battery life was getting worse and worse), decided to give ee a call. Having looked through the options before calling, I had decided I wanted an s10e, everything checked out and I took the deal. Phone arrived yesterday and i much prefer it to the s8 and the bigger s10. 

So I've gone from paying £40 a month for an s8 with 4gb data (contract due to expire in february), to paying £33 a month for an s10e with nothing upfront and no future costs, with 30gb a month data. Oh and I have a free gift of some 150 quid wireless headphones on the way to me as well! Quite like my phones and tech so I'm pretty happy.

That's decent I've been with Orange / EE for over 20 years and I've never been offered anything special.

On 23/08/2019 at 20:02, Grebfromgrebland said:

If buying an Android phone make sure it's got at least 32gb onboard storage otherwise it'll become unusable after a while as you'll keep running out of memory.

Not if you're just using it as a phone, texts, calls, maybe WhatsApp and a few snaps, with no apps. Even 16GB phone would hold a few hundred photo before grinding to a halt (and even that's not a problem with careful management.) 

Seriously, reading this thread you'd think you can't get a decent phone for less than £500, but not everyone needs (and I use the word "needs" loosely here) all the bells and whistles and a phone for less than £100 would suit them just fine.

3 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Not if you're just using it as a phone, texts, calls, maybe WhatsApp and a few snaps, with no apps. Even 16GB phone would hold a few hundred photo before grinding to a halt (and even that's not a problem with careful management.) 

Seriously, reading this thread you'd think you can't get a decent phone for less than £500, but not everyone needs (and I use the word "needs" loosely here) all the bells and whistles and a phone for less than £100 would suit them just fine.

You do have to be a bit careful though. My dad has a Huawei p8 lite which he only uses for calls, texts and checking share prices with. No extra apps etc, doesn't even really take photos with it, and he has been complaining how desperately slow it is. I keep going through it, clearing out storage, resetting apps etc but it is really bloody slow. May be down to the brand or the age but from day one it wasn't great. But for around a hundred you can get something half decent if you arent a heavy user and know what you're looking at specs wise.

• Like 1

On 27/08/2019 at 01:44, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Home button has a crack on my iPhone 8 and no longer works.

Having to use assistive touch to access the phone.

It's under warranty but I don't think that covers damage like this.

First world problems obviously but a pain in the ass.

If you’ve got apple Care, you can get it replaced. You can get a brand new iPhone 8 for £79 under apple Care. 

My apple Care runs out 24 September. I’m hoping a couple of new models get announced early Sept then I’ll probably trade in my 8 for the XR. Probably. 

11 hours ago, Mickey O'Neil said:

If you’ve got apple Care, you can get it replaced. You can get a brand new iPhone 8 for £79 under apple Care. 

My apple Care runs out 24 September. I’m hoping a couple of new models get announced early Sept then I’ll probably trade in my 8 for the XR. Probably. 

Haven't got Apple Care, sadly.

Cost me £145 for a new button/screen from the Apple store in Highcross.

Was impressed with their service as it goes.

• Like 1

Been with EE for a number of years now as they've always given good deals and happily negotiate with them. Customer service has always been decent as well. 

The latter point emphasised even more recently. 

Had a powercut on Wednesday and this affected a nearby transmitter so lost service for best part of 24 hours. Spoke to them and without even asking for compensation/refund for lost service/signal they offered £18 off my next bill (monthly bill is only £35). 

Then lost service again on Friday evening/Saturday morning. Not as bad but it fluctuated a lot and was very intermittent. Contacted them again today and again without asking for a refund, the advisor said they'll give me £18 off my bill for next month and have applied the credit. 

So for 2 days loss of service, I now basically have a free month on my contract :D

so i will be coming back to Leicester for 2 weeks on wednesday. we’ll be staying near the Markfield/ Ashby area. toying with the idea of just buying a cheap mobile for a couple of weeks... can anyone recommend who might de a dirt cheap phone and a good pay as you go situation for 30 days? looked into it and it’s potentially tons cheaper to do that then activate my phone for use in England..

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ian Nacho said:

Thinking of buying a like new refurb. What are people's experiences with buying refurbished phones? 

Had a couple from o2, never had an issue

Usually they've been returned to them within a few days for being the wrong colour, size of memory etc

I'd be a little unsure about buying one off places like eBay but no problems for me via o2

The new iPhones are a bit off-putting, especially in terms of price.

Thinking about making a baby step and upgrading from my 6S to an 8 or 8 Plus at max, mostly because I think it's time again after four years and 256GB is where it's at.

Not convinced by the Xr/Xs, heard things about really bad connectivity issues with the newer models.

Plus, battery life is best on the 8 Plus, so I've been told.

Edited by MC Prussian

42 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Thinking about making a baby step and upgrading from my 6S to an 8 or 8 Plus at max, mostly because I think it's time again after four years and 256GB is where it's at.

Not convinced by the Xr/Xs, heard things about really bad connectivity issues with the newer models.

The iPhone XR has the best battery in an iPhone until the 11 & 11 pro release 

49 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Thinking about making a baby step and upgrading from my 6S to an 8 or 8 Pro at max, mostly because I think it's time again after four years and 256GB is where it's at.

In a similar boat, currently got a 6S, battery is a bit dodgy and the home button is starting to go. Could never justify spending over a grand on a phone though and I like having a physical button and headphone jack, so the 8 looks a solid choice.

33 minutes ago, Xen said:

In a similar boat, currently got a 6S, battery is a bit dodgy and the home button is starting to go. Could never justify spending over a grand on a phone though and I like having a physical button and headphone jack, so the 8 looks a solid choice.

The 8 doesn't have a headphone jack does it?

18 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

The 8 doesn't have a headphone jack does it?

You're right, my mistake. Thought the 8 was the last one to have it. 

That's annoying. Still probably end up getting it though, although might try and hold out with the 6s a bit longer..

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Got the IPhone 11 Pro, cool phone. My dad is interested in it so had a play with mine... when I say play, I mean he somehow ends up opening one of my most used websites... at the dinner table... 

How is it? I was tempted to get it. But I’m not sure wether to get the pro or pro max. I currently have the iPhone 7 max/plus so used to the big ones I just didn’t know if it’s even bigger.

10 minutes ago, LCFC FOX said:

How is it? I was tempted to get it. But I’m not sure wether to get the pro or pro max. I currently have the iPhone 7 max/plus so used to the big ones I just didn’t know if it’s even bigger.

It’s really good, I used to have the 6 and the 6 plus before that and it’s so fast compared to that. The battery life is great, I’m on 48% now and took it off charge at 7.30 this morning.

Camera is very decent, I like it.

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

Got the IPhone 11 Pro, cool phone. My dad is interested in it so had a play with mine... when I say play, I mean he somehow ends up opening one of my most used websites... at the dinner table... 

Shit. He didn't see the stuff you post on Foxes Talk did he? :D

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

Anyone finding IOS13 a joke for battery on the iPhone 6s?

Have you changed your battery since you've owned it? I find most Iphone batteries get super shit after a year and a half. I have an SE (hate big phones) and had to change the battery after 2 years as it was so shit.