Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Mobile Phone Thread

On 20/09/2020 at 17:59, Fox92 said:

Anyone got an iPhone 6s on here?

I just got a pre owned one (as I have had a 5s for the last 5 or 6 years) but the battery seems so poor on it? Draining around 20% at night when nothing should be happening on it. I always set mail to manually fetch and turn background refresh off across most apps etc but I don't understand. Actually tempted to just go back to using my 5s again. It's slower but battery doesn't seem as bad.

Stick a new battery in it, it's a lot easier to do than most people think. This one is a bit more powerful than the standard and will give you a bit more life.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/iPhone-Ponoser-Original-Capacity-Replacement-5/dp/B087G12ZFD/ref=asc_df_B087G12ZFD/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=446267695437&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=614109145442528512&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006800&hvtargid=pla-924835514103&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=105415069644&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=446267695437&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=614109145442528512&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006800&hvtargid=pla-924835514103

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Nice one. Will have a look at this.

Yeah, I've had screens and batteries off before.

I've just put one in my iphone 8 simply because i like the phone and i don't need anything else but the battery was starting to need charging up twice a day as it was nearly 3 years old. I've switched to a sim only for a tenner a month and ended up with a phone that lasts a day and a half with twice the data  and still looks brand new.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I've just put one in my iphone 8 simply because i like the phone and i don't need anything else but the battery was starting to need charging up twice a day as it was nearly 3 years old. I've switched to a sim only for a tenner a month and ended up with a phone that lasts a day and a half with twice the data  and still looks brand new.

That's sort of what I've always done. I only pay £11 a month SIM. I had a 5s for years so no chance did I want to pay £25 a month just to get a new model. Would rather pick a cheap one up, stick a cheap SIM in and restore the rest.

9 minutes ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

Looking to get an upgrade on my Samsung S6, currently on a giff gaff sim £20 a month. Rather buy the phone outright than go back onto a 18/24 month contract, got a budget of around £400 in total. 

Is it worth getting a second hand android set Samsung/Sony or go for new one like a Xioami/Moto?

Google Pixel 4a is £349 and getting good reviews across the board, though not out for a week or so.

The Realme X50 5G is cheaper and has - wait for it - 5G and is also well regarded. I would probably have ordered one by now but it's a bit too big for my liking, and doesn't have a headphone socket which is a pain in the arse for me.

I'd always be wary of secondhand because however old the phone is just knocks time off how long it takes the battery to go to shit

• Like 1

I take back some of what I've said about Motorolas. After 3 days in a bag of rice, the old G6 has apparently survived the washing machine cycle. Screen has an "interesting" texture to say the least, but we can rescue any data that wasn't backed up, which hopefully won't be much

On 23/09/2020 at 20:39, Silebyfox_89 said:

Looking to get an upgrade on my Samsung S6, currently on a giff gaff sim £20 a month. Rather buy the phone outright than go back onto a 18/24 month contract, got a budget of around £400 in total. 

Is it worth getting a second hand android set Samsung/Sony or go for new one like a Xioami/Moto?

Picked up a second hand S10+ a few weeks ago off eBay for £380, its got the Snapdragon 855 chip so battery life and performance is a step up from the Exynos version they sell in this country. There's two slight little tiny scuffs on one of the shoulders and the phone came with original box and a couple cases and a pack of screen protectors, seller sent next day special delivery too. Not sure how warranty works on this to be fair but my managed to get 4 years out of my Xaiomi Redmi Note 3 after buying from AliExpress, so touch wood I look after this.

I'd look around to see what you're interested in and weigh up what you need it for, then just be patient. Probably worth using a bargain hunting website like HUKD as deals for all sorts of phones are posted there daily, or just prowl eBay like I did.

• Like 1

My iPhone randomly asked for my Apple ID password which I am 99% sure of but it failed. I tried to reset but my recovery email is an old work account so can’t get to it. And weirder still trying to reset via security questions reveals my Dob is stored incorrectly!  So basically locked out and Apple say they can’t do a thing about it. Mainly my own fault I know 

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

iPhone 12 then, anyone bothering? I've still got an 8 so I'm really tempted.

I really like the look of the mini but I bought the new SE when it launched earlier this year and despite the battery being awful, I don’t think I want to spend another £600 or enter into a contract again

57 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I thought I’d use the launch to get a cheap 11pro.

£44 a month all unlimited. 👍🏻

I changed to sim only when my contract ran out, don't think I'll ever go back to a contract now.

My 8 is fine, battery is ok, and it looks virtually brand new, so I'm in two minds at the minute. Might wait to see what the reviews and stuff are like once they're released.

5 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I changed to sim only when my contract ran out, don't think I'll ever go back to a contract now.

My 8 is fine, battery is ok, and it looks virtually brand new, so I'm in two minds at the minute. Might wait to see what the reviews and stuff are like once they're released.

Yeah I’ve purchased the phone and been sim only for years but I’m buying as a business expense now, so it doesn’t make as much sense to do it that way.

13 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

iPhone 12 then, anyone bothering? I've still got an 8 so I'm really tempted.

Nah. My 6S is still going strong and does everything I need on a phone.

Apart from a better camera, whats the point in upgrading?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Nah. My 6S is still going strong and does everything I need on a phone.

Apart from a better camera, whats the point in upgrading?

Alright Grandad!

I do sort of agree with you, it's only because I end up on my phone for probably an hour or so a day that I'm tempted to upgrade. The new camera looks really good as well tbf. It's either upgrade now or wait another 11 months for the next phone to come out and upgrade then, but not sure if my 8 will make it there (the battery certainly won't)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Samilktray said:

Asking what’s the point in upgrading from a 6s probably isn’t the best example to be honest 

Is that because a 6S is a good phone? I've had it about 3 years now I think.

Genuinely haven't got a clue when it comes to phones so no idea what I'm missing or what I'd gain if I upgraded.

Just now, Izzy said:

Is that because a 6S is a good phone? I've had it about 3 years now I think.

Genuinely haven't got a clue when it comes to phones so no idea what I'm missing or what I'd gain if I upgraded.

The time between the 6s and the latest phones in technology terms is huge and would definitely warrant an upgrade, is all I’m saying 

• Thanks 1

I have the IPhone 5s, still does everything I need it for, but the battery isn’t great, and only pay £5 a month for Sim only for last the few years.

Only draw back now is this make of phone can’t update the latest software (IOS 13 or something like that) so I can’t get apps like the Covid NHS one for instance,

Think now, with apps regularly updating. It’s forcing me to look at newer models. 

Just wether to stick to an IPhone or branch out to something new. 

7 hours ago, Samilktray said:

The time between the 6s and the latest phones in technology terms is huge and would definitely warrant an upgrade, is all I’m saying 

Don't you think that the technology has plateaued to an extent? Yes, the camera will be a bit better, the processor a bit faster, the bezels a bit narrower, but for casual users are the differences that great? Has the OS even changed much?

If your old phone is knackered (like the one I've just replaced), fair enough, but when was the last time mobile technology advanced in a way meant that your upgrade device let you do something you couldn't before? It increasingly feels that upgrades are an expensive way of making your Twitter feed scroll a bit more smoothly. If batteries hadn't had it after 2 years and replacing them was easier I think a lot of people wouldn't bother. I'm saying this having just got a new phone yesterday

• Like 2