Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Mobile Phone Thread

40 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I think my original Moto G would still be going if the processor was quick enough for modern demands.

Your point about kicking up a stink is a good one - I think Motorolas have a 2 year warranty in the UK and I've not had this one as long as I thought I had.

People I know who have them are really happy with them.

That one does look great - but the deal breaker for me is the lack of a headphone socket. I know that probably none will have them in a couple of years but for now it's pretty important to me

New google pixel 4a has a headphone socket and the best camera around on a phone. It’s about £300 aswell, looks a decent bit of kit 

7 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

New google pixel 4a has a headphone socket and the best camera around on a phone. It’s about £300 aswell, looks a decent bit of kit 

Closer to £350 but still good value for money. Looks favourite to me at the minute, but there's a waiting list!

23 minutes ago, peterborofox said:

I got the g7 power when it came out best part of 18 months ago. Using it now to write this message. never had one issue with it. 

Probably the best phone I've had all round. Might upgrade next year to the newest version

5000 battery will last me two days with average use

The mother-in-law's just died (her phone, not herself), which I think was just unlucky.

My boss had one having previously been an iPhone man and was very impressed.

Another thing that puts me off the (current) G8 is that there's no magnetometer/compass in it which presumably means that the navigation in Google Maps doesn't really work properly

55 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

That one does look great - but the deal breaker for me is the lack of a headphone socket. I know that probably none will have them in a couple of years but for now it's pretty important to me

Don't let that put you off, you can get a USB C to 3.5mm jack adapter for less than a tenner on Amazon, if the phone doesn't come with one in the box.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For anyone looking for a cheap but good spec and future-proofed phone, Motorola have recently released the 5G Plus for only £279.

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g_5g_plus-10307.php

It has 5G, a huge battery (5000mh which should last a couple of days even with normal use), 4K video (with HDR), 48MP camera, microSD slot, and a 3.5mm jack. And it runs on the latest Android 10 and has a decent processor (Snapdragon 765) and UFS 2.1. The only thing it doesn't have is wireless charging but for less than £300 that is to be expected.

It's one of the best specced cheap new phone I've seen for a good while. The ones I'd been looking at with the next processor up and all of the above as well as wireless charging are all £500+.

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1

On 09/08/2020 at 05:13, Bellend Sebastian said:

The mother-in-law's just died (her phone, not herself), which I think was just unlucky.

Hang in there, she cant last for ever.. good luck :)

Just an FYI bargain Nokia 5.3

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B088G6DYZY

Edited by ozleicester

On 31/08/2020 at 22:21, The Bear said:

For anyone looking for a cheap but good spec and future-proofed phone, Motorola have recently released the 5G Plus for only £279.

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g_5g_plus-10307.php

It has 5G, a huge battery (5000mh which should last a couple of days even with normal use), 4K video (with HDR), 48MP camera, microSD slot, and a 3.5mm jack. And it runs on the latest Android 10 and has a decent processor (Snapdragon 765) and UFS 2.1. The only thing it doesn't have is wireless charging but for less than £300 that is to be expected.

It's one of the best specced cheap new phone I've seen for a good while. The ones I'd been looking at with the next processor up and all of the above as well as wireless charging are all £500+.

Had a few Motorola's over the past few years. Reliable and extremely cost efficient in comparison to similar phones on the market

2 hours ago, CollinsLCFC said:

Had a few Motorola's over the past few years. Reliable and extremely cost efficient in comparison to similar phones on the market

Personally I think they've gone downhill since Lenovo bought them.

Moto G, G2 and G3 were all pretty bullet proof, but the G4 was plagued by 'ghost touch' (I had one and it was a massive pain in the arse) and the G6 and G7 have had lots of WiFi issues. My G6 was hopeless until I realised it was struggling to switch between the 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz bands that my router was broadcasting on, and it's interesting that they've binned off support for the latter on the G8. The charging port on my G6 is now almost unusable, which isn't a great advert for USB-C.

For all I know though, compared to other cheapo phones they might still be really good. I don't know how reliable the Chinese stuff like Honor and Xiaomi is, and Motorola specs are great for the money

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone got an iPhone 6s on here?

I just got a pre owned one (as I have had a 5s for the last 5 or 6 years) but the battery seems so poor on it? Draining around 20% at night when nothing should be happening on it. I always set mail to manually fetch and turn background refresh off across most apps etc but I don't understand. Actually tempted to just go back to using my 5s again. It's slower but battery doesn't seem as bad.

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I just got a pre owned one (as I have had a 5s for the last 5 or 6 years) but the battery seems so poor on it? Draining around 20% at night when nothing should be happening on it. I always set mail to manually fetch and turn background refresh off across most apps etc but I don't understand. Actually tempted to just go back to using my 5s again. It's slower but battery doesn't seem as bad.

Sounds odd ..  there is no way  a 5 battery will be better  than a 6 ..   must be something wrong with it ... 

3 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Have you had a look at what your battery health is? Also it could be a glitch from an IOS update it’s had. 

55 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Have you had a look at what your battery health is? Also it could be a glitch from an IOS update it’s had. 

Ahh right (this must be a new option). Anyway, it’s 81% which could be the reason. Max capacity is 81% then? Meaning a full charge doesn’t actually reach 100%. 

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

Ahh right (this must be a new option). Anyway, it’s 81% which could be the reason. Max capacity is 81% then? Meaning a full charge doesn’t actually reach 100%. 

81% for a 6s is very good. Have a look if there is a software update available maybe. 

I know apple were found guilty a couple of years ago of slowing down older phones they then offered free battery replacements to customers. Maybe you have been unfortunate and got one that hasn’t had the battery replaced. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/circuitbreaker/2017/12/27/16822736/apple-battery-slowdown-iphone-6-6s-se-lawsuit

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Are people still happy with Giff Gaff?  Missus is trying to get a deal with Vodafone who she's been with for 20 years of something and they're not exactly begging her to stay.  Probably change their tune when she requests a PAC code.

And so the dance continues

You can just do the PAC code by text message so you don’t have to fvck around with Vodafone trying to sell you stuff. 

Just text ‘PAC’ to 65075. 

4 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Are people still happy with Giff Gaff?  Missus is trying to get a deal with Vodafone who she's been with for 20 years of something and they're not exactly begging her to stay.  Probably change their tune when she requests a PAC code.

And so the dance continues

I wonder how much good could be done with the time and money people collectively spend  having to contact companies to say they've found a better deal elsewhere, only to be then told the 'real price'. 

3 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

You can just do the PAC code by text message so you don’t have to fvck around with Vodafone trying to sell you stuff. 

Just text ‘PAC’ to 65075. 

46 minutes ago, Fktf said:

I wonder how much good could be done with the time and money people collectively spend  having to contact companies to say they've found a better deal elsewhere, only to be then told the 'real price'. 

Thanks folks.

I fell asleep while this was still going on.  Needless to say, the retentions team then got involved and she's got a new handset on the way and a much better deal than she was on overall.  Still would have saved money by buying the phone outright, albeit by not that much and with a few bills coming up anyway she decided she'd rather get it through them

On 04/09/2020 at 21:39, The Bear said:

The Xaomi 10 5G is another one I'm looking at. Top spec with all the bells and whistles for around £500.

Agree with that. Xiaomis IMO are the best performance for price phones around at the moment. I've got a note 10 lite and for about £200 that it cost me it's brilliant.

I've asked this question before, but does anybody have meaningful experience of the relationship between the cost of a phone and its lifespan?

I know that iPhones can last for years, but the cheap phones I've had for quite a while struggle to get to two years before something breaks and they're not worth getting repaired. I'd be happier to spend a bit more if there was a genuine chance of them lasting longer