Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Mobile Phone Thread

2 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Try downloading an anti virus and running it. Legit looks like phone aids. Never seen a pop up like that before. :blink:

I've got Kapersky's free Internet Security app on and that says everything is fine.

31 minutes ago, davieG said:

I've got Kapersky's free Internet Security app on and that says everything is fine.

Then I have no idea. Sorry. 

Never seen that on a mobile before. Usually only get ads like that when loaded into a free to play game or something like that. Maybe try cracking open the settings and disabling every app, then turn them on one by one til the ad appears again? Obviously only works if the ad turns up regularly. :/

On 28/06/2020 at 13:26, Samilktray said:

I always see this argument but I just dunno what people are actually customising? I had a Samsung a few years back and didn’t customise anything from what I can remember. 99% of mobile phones do what you need straight out of the box I’d of thought 

i don't know if they've got better but years ago i found android so laggy and annoying. surprised people had the patience with them compared to an apple phone. my iphone 6 still going strong almost 6 years on lol 

1 minute ago, don_danbury said:

i don't know if they've got better but years ago i found android so laggy and annoying. surprised people had the patience with them compared to an apple phone. my iphone 6 still going strong almost 6 years on lol 

How often do you take it out of the safe? Obviously only personal experience but I've never known anyone to have an iPhone screen last that long. My girlfriend had a 6, it dropped off the bed onto a carpeted floor and shattered. Got it fixed officially, then a week later had it in her pocket walking down the street, took it out, it was shattered again only this time the lcd was dead too. And I was with her, she didn't drop it or anything. Everyone ive known who has had an iphone would always have the glass smashed at some point and continue to use it for as long as possible.

I've always had samsungs since the s2 and think they're great phones. Whenever I upgrade I give my previous one to my girlfriend and then previous to that we recycle. I have never personally owned an iPhone but I have used them and just really don't get along with them. Prior to meeting me my girlfriend always had iphones, whilst hating them, but knowing bugger all about phones she'd always get one. Not anymore. I have no real issue with them other than the seemingly shit screens, just not for me.

50 minutes ago, davieG said:

I would assume its an app. The only other thing I can think of is when websites give a popup asking you to allow notifications. I've clicked them by mistake before and had my notification bar spammed with ads but never a full screen one so I'm not sure. Could be worth looking at the webpage permissions in the browser.

I recently spent ages trying to help my dad get a new phone. He had simple requests. Only massive space (256gb with expandable), high ram, great camera, brand new (no second hand) for 200 quid. Ended up settling on the latest Huawei p30 lite for £250. Seems like a really good phone for the money. He had a Huawei p8 lite for many years prior and was happy with that. Had it a couple days, dropped it on the patio, smashed the screen. Hadn't even taken the back plastic off from new. Wonderful.

Issues being talked about now is probably the only thing (maybe main thing)  Apple has over an Android style phone, Housekeeping.

All phones other than Apple require some sort of house keeping similar to a laptop to keep them running at optimum levels where as the strict governance on Apple keeps everything in check because it doesn't allow you to bugger about with it in the 1st place, a slight double edged sword.

45 minutes ago, Kopic said:

How often do you take it out of the safe? Obviously only personal experience but I've never known anyone to have an iPhone screen last that long. My girlfriend had a 6, it dropped off the bed onto a carpeted floor and shattered. Got it fixed officially, then a week later had it in her pocket walking down the street, took it out, it was shattered again only this time the lcd was dead too. And I was with her, she didn't drop it or anything. Everyone ive known who has had an iphone would always have the glass smashed at some point and continue to use it for as long as possible.

I've always had samsungs since the s2 and think they're great phones. Whenever I upgrade I give my previous one to my girlfriend and then previous to that we recycle. I have never personally owned an iPhone but I have used them and just really don't get along with them. Prior to meeting me my girlfriend always had iphones, whilst hating them, but knowing bugger all about phones she'd always get one. Not anymore. I have no real issue with them other than the seemingly shit screens, just not for me.

I would assume its an app. The only other thing I can think of is when websites give a popup asking you to allow notifications. I've clicked them by mistake before and had my notification bar spammed with ads but never a full screen one so I'm not sure. Could be worth looking at the webpage permissions in the browser.

I recently spent ages trying to help my dad get a new phone. He had simple requests. Only massive space (256gb with expandable), high ram, great camera, brand new (no second hand) for 200 quid. Ended up settling on the latest Huawei p30 lite for £250. Seems like a really good phone for the money. He had a Huawei p8 lite for many years prior and was happy with that. Had it a couple days, dropped it on the patio, smashed the screen. Hadn't even taken the back plastic off from new. Wonderful.

I use it everyday, but don't carry it around all day like most people. i guess i've been very fortunate to not get it smashed. i've dropped it a few times and it's still fine lol obviously the screen is marked up a bit. i also haven't upgraded the software in a long time because i know about how they make it slower on older phones so you buy their new ones.  greedy sods

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Issues being talked about now is probably the only thing (maybe main thing)  Apple has over an Android style phone, Housekeeping.

All phones other than Apple require some sort of house keeping similar to a laptop to keep them running at optimum levels where as the strict governance on Apple keeps everything in check because it doesn't allow you to bugger about with it in the 1st place, a slight double edged sword.

But with every big company phone, they smack you with updates and bloatware that inevitably slows your phone down. Apple especially bad for that.

1 hour ago, Kopic said:

The app was my thoughts too, was thinking one had been updated or downloaded that did this and was hoping he'd be able to turn notifications for it off. 

2 hours ago, Kopic said:

Yep, got an iPhone from work, dropped it once - screen cracked. My Samsung (and previous Sony) have been through all sorts of adventures and no issues at all.

17 hours ago, Kopic said:

Personally I’m not a disabled who drops their phone every 5 minutes so never had an issue, and I never have a phone case either. 

• Haha 3

I rarely drop my phones either. I use a clear soft gel case so very thin material. That's just to protect from scratches mainly. 

I did once drop a phone from about 7m high. I was at work in some high level racking and it slipped out of my pocket as I was leaning over. That smashed the screen alright. 

4 hours ago, lildave3 said:

Personally I’m not a disabled who drops their phone every 5 minutes so never had an issue, and I never have a phone case either. 

I’m forever smashing my phone, I work in construction and that translates to destruction of personal property. Fortunately the iPhone screens are easy to self replace, as I’m on my 5th on this phone and it’s smashed in the top right corner already.

8 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

A month now with my new S10.  Why anyone wouldn't have a Samsung S series mobile is beyond me.  Fantastic piece of kit, it really is.

While on the subject of cases, Amazon do some decent ones.  I have a Kiliko case for my S10, best case I ever owned.  Cost about 12 quid.

Still using my S7, about 4 years old now, still works minus a few issues; battery being poor, the 3.5mm Jack not working and needing to be charged wirelessly. 

Issue for me is price, feels like I'm paying for the name rather than the tech. Oneplus 8 is a few hundreds cheaper with arguably better tech in it.

17 hours ago, The Bear said:

I rarely drop my phones either. I use a clear soft gel case so very thin material. That's just to protect from scratches mainly. 

I did once drop a phone from about 7m high. I was at work in some high level racking and it slipped out of my pocket as I was leaning over. That smashed the screen alright. 

Just jinxed yourself mate. Bad habit jinxing!

• 5 weeks later...

How long do people expect to get out of their phones, I mean in terms of the life of the phone rather than its battery life?

My original 2014 Moto G never actually went wrong, but was so cheap I didn't begrudge buying the newer version. Unfortunately since Lenovo started making them they're clearly not built to last, and 2 years seems to be about all you get before they go to shite.

I'm massively tight, but maybe I'd spend a bit more if there was a reasonable hope you'd get some longevity out of it. I like the look of the new Google Pixel 4a (ooh, headphone socket, yes please) but it's literally twice as much as a Moto G8 and I'd be a bit put out if I forked out £350 and it needed replacing after 2 years

20 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

How long do people expect to get out of their phones, I mean in terms of the life of the phone rather than its battery life?

My original 2014 Moto G never actually went wrong, but was so cheap I didn't begrudge buying the newer version. Unfortunately since Lenovo started making them they're clearly not built to last, and 2 years seems to be about all you get before they go to shite.

I'm massively tight, but maybe I'd spend a bit more if there was a reasonable hope you'd get some longevity out of it. I like the look of the new Google Pixel 4a (ooh, headphone socket, yes please) but it's literally twice as much as a Moto G8 and I'd be a bit put out if I forked out £350 and it needed replacing after 2 years

My Sony Z1 lasted about 5 years, with 1 battery replacement in that period. The phone was still fine when I replaced it, but the battery was going again and it was hard to track down a decent replacement at that point.

29 minutes ago, potter3 said:

My Sony Z1 lasted about 5 years, with 1 battery replacement in that period. The phone was still fine when I replaced it, but the battery was going again and it was hard to track down a decent replacement at that point.

I think I've done ok out of cheapo phones, but increasingly I'm a bit annoyed about the assumption that you just chuck them in the bin and buy another one after less than 2 years (which still works out cheaper than having a flagship phone for longer) which just seems a bit horrible and wasteful, so it's not even about the money anymore.

I don't even use my phone for that much. The odd photo and fannying around on here, mainly.

I'd cheerily spend more if I could be reasonably sure I'd get the kind of lifespan out of a device that you did

Edited by Bellend Sebastian

20 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

2 years, and I usually buy them outright for about £200 and then just replace them when they start messing up. Never bothered with flagships - these days besides a bit of extra performance, waterproofing and a better camera, there's pretty much nothing a £1,000 phone can do that a £200 can't

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

2 years, and I usually buy them outright for about £200 and then just replace them when they start messing up. Never bothered with flagships - these days besides a bit of extra performance, waterproofing and a better camera, there's pretty much nothing a £1,000 phone can do that a £200 can't

That's pretty much exactly what I've done since my first and last flagship phone, which was an HTC Desire so that shows you how long ago that was.

Just feels like the quality of the cheaper devices is going downhill even if the capability is going up.

Mother in law had a Moto G7 Power pack up in a matter of months and she barely uses it.

The charging port on my G6 is on its way out, it's generally slowed right down and the battery only lasts for about 60% as long as it did when it was new

52 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

That's pretty much exactly what I've done since my first and last flagship phone, which was an HTC Desire so that shows you how long ago that was.

Just feels like the quality of the cheaper devices is going downhill even if the capability is going up.

Mother in law had a Moto G7 Power pack up in a matter of months and she barely uses it.

The charging port on my G6 is on its way out, it's generally slowed right down and the battery only lasts for about 60% as long as it did when it was new

Tbh I don't know if the quality is generally much less, when you think about how much technology is packed into any modern smartphone, they're thinner than they've ever been and they're always on I don't begrudge getting two years out of one really. Ones that last longer will only deteriorate anyway, performance wise (from firmware updates, which typically sap more resources with newer iterations), and battery life as you pointed out. If it only lasts months then surely take it back to the shop/wherever and kick up a stink about consumer rights, you should probably get your money back!

1 hour ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Tbh I don't know if the quality is generally much less, when you think about how much technology is packed into any modern smartphone, they're thinner than they've ever been and they're always on I don't begrudge getting two years out of one really. Ones that last longer will only deteriorate anyway, performance wise (from firmware updates, which typically sap more resources with newer iterations), and battery life as you pointed out. If it only lasts months then surely take it back to the shop/wherever and kick up a stink about consumer rights, you should probably get your money back!

I think my original Moto G would still be going if the processor was quick enough for modern demands.

Your point about kicking up a stink is a good one - I think Motorolas have a 2 year warranty in the UK and I've not had this one as long as I thought I had.

1 hour ago, nnfox said:

Admittedly I am a fan of OnePlus, but if anyone is in the market for a mid-range smartphone, the new OnePlus Nord looks immense.  Looks like it sits around the £380-£470 range depending on spec.

People I know who have them are really happy with them.

That one does look great - but the deal breaker for me is the lack of a headphone socket. I know that probably none will have them in a couple of years but for now it's pretty important to me

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I got the g7 power when it came out best part of 18 months ago. Using it now to write this message. never had one issue with it. 

Probably the best phone I've had all round. Might upgrade next year to the newest version

5000 battery will last me two days with average use