Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Smudge

Phunny (Funny) Photos / Pictures

Just now, Swan Lesta said:

I think this is for funny images not 1970’s ones.

The football is sound. If you go back 10 years the standard has shifted dramatically. It’s part of slowly changing the above sorts of stereotypes for young girls and I think it’s great.

I realise that the above image is probably tongue in cheek and that I’m the fun prevention officer and way too politically correct, etc.. I just think the above is well err a bit sad.

Yeah, it failed to make me crease.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I think this is for funny images not 1970’s ones.

The football is sound. If you go back 10 years the standard has shifted dramatically. It’s part of slowly changing the above sorts of stereotypes for young girls and I think it’s great.

I realise that the above image is probably tongue in cheek and that I’m the fun prevention officer and way too politically correct, etc.. I just think the above is well err a bit sad.

Tbh, mate, I think you are overreacting to this. If it was a genuine attempt to subjugate or belittle women, I'd be right behind you, but I honestly believe that it's no more than playful banter. I showed it to my wife and daughter - both fiesty, confident, independant women - and both of them could see the humour in it. Women make similar jokes about male stereotypes too, you know.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Sure but it’s normalisation has to begin and begin to end somewhere, or the young girls and women made subject to 70’s gender stereotype banter in 1972 will still be subject to it in 2022.

I sat with my mates kids the other day watching the women’s World Cup and the girls of 8-11 were absolutely inspired. I thought it was great and quite sad after when they went to play with their gender stereotyped toys and books. The boy put his footy kit on to watch and the girls suddenly realised that they didn’t have kits and had never really seen sport as something they could associate with or attach to apart from the eldest who does martial arts.

I get your point entirely and I’m not starting some impossible crusade - just think we should all do better.

And I get your point too.

But I don't think a tongue-in-cheek meme is going to stop those girls going out and buying a football strip. I think, like most humour, it has to be viewed through the lens of intent; if it was part of a campaign to prevent women playing or enjoying watching football, that would clearly be wrong and should be resisited by all progressive people. But I don't see this as being in that category at all. Fact is, nearly all humour has someone as the stereotypical fall guy, whether it be the dumb Irishman, the dizzy blonde or the man with the wooden leg. I know it's sometimes difficult to know where to draw the line but if we don't try the only alternative is to abolish humour altogether.

17 minutes ago, Buce said:

And I get your point too.

But I don't think a tongue-in-cheek meme is going to stop those girls going out and buying a football strip. I think, like most humour, it has to be viewed through the lens of intent; if it was part of a campaign to prevent women playing or enjoying watching football, that would clearly be wrong and should be resisited by all progressive people. But I don't see this as being in that category at all. Fact is, nearly all humour has someone as the stereotypical fall guy, whether it be the dumb Irishman, the dizzy blonde or the man with the wooden leg. I know it's sometimes difficult to know where to draw the line but if we don't try the only alternative is to abolish humour altogether.

But this is a football forum, right? 

We are all here here because of our love for the beautiful game and our passion for supporting it.

But that’s just the blokes game then? 

I acknowledged it was a tongue in cheek image. I specifically stated I was not starting a crusade - I just think we can do better. We’ve in all honesty only just starting getting women signing up to the forum. We’ve a long way to go. And I’m just pointing out that images that reinforce gender stereotypes about women not playing football and doing the ironing are not really all that progressive.

And as you’ve raised it, ? memes influence Fathers, blokes, male banter on football forums and Fathers who’s attitudes to girls football might be reinforced rather than say suggesting they watch the World Cup with them and offer to take them to their local team or even coach the local team.

All Im saying is we can do better and I’d be surprised if the women who post on here didn’t think we could do a bit better too.

Afterall, girls don’t go out and buy football kit - mainly their fathers do... well some do and some just think it’s a mans game.

Edited by Nick
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

But this is a football forum, right? 

We are all here here because of our love for the beautiful game and our passion for supporting it.

But that’s just the blokes game then? 

I acknowledged it was a tongue in cheek image. I specifically stated I was not starting a crusade - I just think we can do better. We’ve in all honesty only just starting getting women signing up to the forum. We’ve a long way to go. And I’m just pointing out that images that reinforce gender stereotypes about women not playing football and doing the ironing are not really all that progressive.

And as you’ve raised it, ? memes influence Fathers, blokes, male banter on football forums and Fathers who’s attitudes to girls football might be reinforced rather than say suggesting they watch the World Cup with them and offer to take them to their local team or even coach the local team.

All Im saying is we can do better and I’d be surprised if the women who post on here didn’t think we could do a bit better too.

Afterall, girls don’t go out and buy football kit - mainly their fathers do... well some do and some just think it’s a mans game.

In some ways that male posters relate to them, I’m sure you’re right. In this specific instance, I think you’d find them to be more self-deprecating than you give them credit for. 

I’ll agree to disagree, mate, but I think you’re making the mistake of being offended on another’s behalf, where no offence was meant or taken. 

Edited by Buce

31 minutes ago, Buce said:

In some ways that male posters relate to them, I’m sure you’re right. In this specific instance, I think you’d find them to more self-deprecating than you give them credit for. 

I’ll agree to disagree, mate, but I think you’re making the mistake of being offended on another’s behalf, where no offence was meant or taken. 

There was no intent by the poster of the original image. And I’m not offended or being offended on behalf of others.

My point remains that we need to do better and no good comes from perpetuating or justifying that kind of banter in a climate where attitudes need to change. Especially by a platform which loves and supports the game.

Maybe it’s you who has overreacted? Jumping to a defence as you see it as normalised and acceptable banter rather than critically thinking about what good it does? I bet you don’t tell the same prejudice jokes you heard in the 70’s but strangely you see limited harm in those values being continually perpetuated 50 years on when it comes to the roles of women? 

Just sayin it’s odd to hear you rolling out the ‘offended on behalf of others’ argument - that’s usually a place of refuge for posters who want to justify their behaviours who sit on a different side of the fence.