Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

Hero of EPL Week Two – Claudio Ranieri

By David Bennett on August 18, 2015
  •  
Screen-Shot-2015-08-18-at-5.32.41-pm-300

Week two of the English Premier League continued to deliver the high intensity and drama that we have come to expect on a weekly basis. As Outside90’s David Bennett writes, it is a certain Italian mastermind that is beginning to dominate headlines for all the right reasons.

Hero of the week – Claudio Ranieri

The appointment of Claudio Ranieri in the off-season brought about a series of murmurings and a general tone of dissatisfaction amongst Leicester City fans. The Foxes’ faithful believed former-boss Nigel Pearson was doing a fantastic job at the helm with limited resources available to him. Friendlies against low profile teams such as Rotherham United FC and Burton Albion drew unflattering results and the fans were justifiably concerned.

Fast-forward a couple of weeks and there is an unprecedented air of optimism around the King Power Stadium after Ranieri’s magnificent start to the season. Currently sitting in second position, his team are playing an organised style of football which has proved immensely effective on the counter. The ‘Tinkerman” is getting the best out of key players such as Danny Drinkwater, Marc Albrighton and most notably Riyad Mahrez who leads the goal-scoring charts with three in two games. Ranieri has built a team willing to play for him and adopt his style. The Italian has brought in the relevant Premier League experience in players such as Robert Huth who has formed a strong partnership with Wes Morgan, making the Foxes a difficult team to break down.

Ranieri has clearly come to England with a plan. A team with desire and organisation, perhaps their best asset is the former-Juventus manger’s experience – something which will be extremely valuable as the season grows on.

Jose Mourinho, take note.

http://outside90.com/hero-of-epl-week-two-claudio-ranieri-111/

<p>

By David Bennett on August 18, 2015

Week two of the English Premier League continued to deliver the high intensity and drama that we have come to expect on a weekly basis. As Outside90’s David Bennett writes, it is a certain Italian mastermind that is beginning to dominate headlines for all the right reasons.

The appointment of Claudio Ranieri in the off-season brought about a series of murmurings and a general tone of dissatisfaction amongst Leicester City fans. The Foxes’ faithful believed former-boss Nigel Pearson was doing a fantastic job at the helm with limited resources available to him. Friendlies against low profile teams such as Rotherham United FC and Burton Albion drew unflattering results and the fans were justifiably concerned.

Fast-forward a couple of weeks and there is an unprecedented air of optimism around the King Power Stadium after Ranieri’s magnificent start to the season. Currently sitting in second position, his team are playing an organised style of football which has proved immensely effective on the counter. The ‘Tinkerman” is getting the best out of key players such as Danny Drinkwater, Marc Albrighton and most notably Riyad Mahrez who leads the goal-scoring charts with three in two games. Ranieri has built a team willing to play for him and adopt his style. The Italian has brought in the relevant Premier League experience in players such as Robert Huth who has formed a strong partnership with Wes Morgan, making the Foxes a difficult team to break down.

Ranieri has clearly come to England with a plan. A team with desire and organisation, perhaps their best asset is the former-Juventus manger’s experience – something which will be extremely valuable as the season grows on.

What a load of bollocks. It was the media who were making all the declarations that he'd be a shocking appointment. And Nigel Pearson working on 'limited resources'? Pull the other one. It's like these hacks can't be bothered to do even 5 minutes of cursory research.

What a load of bollocks. It was the media who were making all the declarations that he'd be a shocking appointment. And Nigel Pearson working on 'limited resources'? Pull the other one. It's like these hacks can't be bothered to do even 5 minutes of cursory research.

Quite a few on here said the same about his appointment as well

I never criticised CR but I was a little concerned as new appointments often see and overhaul in players and backroom staff. He's done all the right things so far in my eyes and changed very little
  • Like 2

yeah there's pretty much nothing right in that piece. "hard to break down"? have we even kept a clean sheet yet under ranieri? "the Italian brought in huth" well no he didn't at all. "key player danny drinkwater"? yeah sure.

stupid.

Don't worry lose a couple and they will be back to ripping him to bits again.

There is an air of a honeymoon period/ momentum from last season being the main factor in the views of the press I've heard.

Probably those same people who told us Pearson was doing an awful job six months ago and should've been sacked and now we've let go a potential top manager.

Edited by Corky

yeah there's pretty much nothing right in that piece. "hard to break down"? have we even kept a clean sheet yet under ranieri? "the Italian brought in huth" well no he didn't at all. "key player danny drinkwater"? yeah sure.

stupid.

Drinkwater has been class to be fair but still a shocking article

There is an air of a honeymoon period/ momentum from last season being the main factor in the views of the press I've heard.

Probably those same people who told us Pearson was doing an awful job six months ago and should've been sacked.

Those are the main factors though tbh. Its not like we are going to play like this and keep winning all year. However, we are too good to have the kind of slump we did last year again.

Those are the main factors though tbh. Its not like we are going to play like this and keep winning all year. However, we are too good to have the kind of slump we did last year again.

Yeah at the moment it's just 6 points on the board but we all know how long it can take to get 6 points in the prem. Great start but we must not get carried away and I don't think CR will let them

Probably those same people who told us Pearson was doing an awful job six months ago and should've been sacked and now we've let go a potential top manager.

It might be that to be honest.

The club have put my mind at ease by keeping the backroom team together etc. That's what I wanted, all those people to become Leicester people rather than just Pearson people. (We'll see what happens when he gets a job though). But I don't think they will willingly let them all go easily.

Claudio has said all the right things so far, but it's easy to speak of keeping the team together and not changing too much when things are going well. A bad run I'm sure he'll start trying to impose his own style more (that might be for the better, who knows).

We'll see how we're going in 12 to 18 months time. Until then he will be given time from me to imprint his own style without being too judgmental, well as long as there is no Sousa style imploding anyway.

Drinkwater has been class to be fair but still a shocking article

oh yeah not arguing that, think I might've read it wrong haha. thought it was saying he was even managing to improve last year's key players like drinkwater, was gonna say if drinkwater had got any worse than last year he'd be on loan at Nuneaton by now

When asked who looks the best new signing so far in the Prem on Monday Night Football, Gary Neville said Okazaki! Said both he and Leicester in general had "really caught his eye". Then did a bit of analysis about why he likes Okazaki.

Just watched this. Interesting that Gary analyses him purely as a number 10. 

By David Bennett on August 18, 2015
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Week two of the English Premier League continued to deliver the high intensity and drama that we have come to expect on a weekly basis. As Outside90’s David Bennett writes, it is a certain Italian mastermind that is beginning to dominate headlines for all the right reasons.

The appointment of Claudio Ranieri in the off-season brought about a series of murmurings and a general tone of dissatisfaction amongst Leicester City fans. The Foxes’ faithful believed former-boss Nigel Pearson was doing a fantastic job at the helm with limited resources available to him. Friendlies against low profile teams such as Rotherham United FC and Burton Albion drew unflattering results and the fans were justifiably concerned.

Fast-forward a couple of weeks and there is an unprecedented air of optimism around the King Power Stadium after Ranieri’s magnificent start to the season. Currently sitting in second position, his team are playing an organised style of football which has proved immensely effective on the counter. The ‘Tinkerman” is getting the best out of key players such as Danny Drinkwater, Marc Albrighton and most notably Riyad Mahrez who leads the goal-scoring charts with three in two games. Ranieri has built a team willing to play for him and adopt his style. The Italian has brought in the relevant Premier League experience in players such as Robert Huth who has formed a strong partnership with Wes Morgan, making the Foxes a difficult team to break down.

Ranieri has clearly come to England with a plan. A team with desire and organisation, perhaps their best asset is the former-Juventus manger’s experience – something which will be extremely valuable as the season grows on.

That just proves what bollox this chap is talking.

The Huth deal was done before NP was sacked and the partnership started last season.

betfair's latest prem round up has us as team of the week and says how riyad mahrez is a carbon copy of james rodriguez when he was at monaco under ranieri. 

60m to madrid in a year then chaps. 

betfair's latest prem round up has us as team of the week and says how riyad mahrez is a carbon copy of james rodriguez when he was at monaco under ranieri. 

60m to madrid in a year then chaps. 

I bet the people writing this stuff hasn't even watched more than the highlights of the last two games on MOTD.

I wouldn't be so sure, these are mainly the same players who had a massive slump last year, and quite a few still around from our slump a few seasons ago.

As a manager Ranieri is also prone to a slump, I think it was at Roma he lost 7 in a row and fvcked up their title chances.

We are where we are, and it is awesome, but we shouldn't think we are too good to do anything, if it had been a penalty and a red for Kasper on Saturday and things would be looking very different.

We are on the right side of the fine margins at the moment, but we could very easily go on a bad run.

• Like 1

Just been thinking of a reason why journalists are up on Nigel Pearson at the minute. Surely just because we went on a good run and survived it didn't make them all suddenly like him?

Is it fair to say that a possible theory is that media outlets know the true reason NP was sacked, don't agree with it, but aren't allowed to write about it because LCFC lawyers have been in touch and there is an unfair dismissal case being brought forward?

Just a theory. Its nice that they finally respected NP and realised his good stature as a manager but something seems a little out of place.

Then again, maybe a lot felt the Pat Murphy rant was out of order and started sticking up for him from there??

I think he just didnt know that he's a striker

Yeah probably, but all the same he knows a lot about football and he's seen the two games and decided he was playing as a number 10. That was interesting to me as I was thinking of us as playing 2 genuine strikers. Thinking about it now he does seem to be doing almost exactly the Nugent role from our old 4-4-1-1 or whatever you want to call it.

I wouldn't be so sure, these are mainly the same players who had a massive slump last year, and quite a few still around from our slump a few seasons ago.

As a manager Ranieri is also prone to a slump, I think it was at Roma he lost 7 in a row and fvcked up their title chances.

We are where we are, and it is awesome, but we shouldn't think we are too good to do anything, if it had been a penalty and a red for Kasper on Saturday and things would be looking very different.

We are on the right side of the fine margins at the moment, but we could very easily go on a bad run.

Nah, I don't buy that. We have the confidence now we won't have the same kind of slump. We will have rough periods but not the months of shite we had last year. A lot of the same players but they are better and more experienced now. 

More than quite a few. Some of the regular doom merchants were saying it's the worst period they've ever known as a Leicester Fan.

Bless em, they'll be back in here moaning and calling for his head if we don't beat spurs n Saturday

Just been thinking of a reason why journalists are up on Nigel Pearson at the minute. Surely just because we went on a good run and survived it didn't make them all suddenly like him?

Is it fair to say that a possible theory is that media outlets know the true reason NP was sacked, don't agree with it, but aren't allowed to write about it because LCFC lawyers have been in touch and there is an unfair dismissal case being brought forward?

Just a theory. Its nice that they finally respected NP and realised his good stature as a manager but something seems a little out of place.

Then again, maybe a lot felt the Pat Murphy rant was out of order and started sticking up for him from there??

I think it's more to do with his replacement. If we'd gone for a Sean Dyche, Neil Lennon, even Kenny Jackett- a popular, British coach then we've binned a madman in front of the cameras for a well-spoken, up and coming manager.

Ranieri is the Tinkerman, lost to the Faroe Islands with Greece, has been out of the country a fair while and now is an odd fit given his previous clubs and their stature. Actually, all of a sudden, we've let go a good motivator who, against all the odds, kept the team up and replaced him with a past-it duffer.