Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

I have to say that Ranieri's tactical changes during the game really impressed me today. When it went 2-1 and they were doubling up down both wings we moved to a very tight, narrow 4 man defence with Fuchs and Albrighton also acting a wing backs giving us almost  back 6 where required. 

West ham had run riot down the flanks for the 10-15 minutes preceding that change but it brought that game back under our control.

That was a real top drawer decision and won us the game as West Ham were threatening to equalise and keep pushing at that stage.

This team is largely Pearson's. NP was brilliant for the club and I have nothing bad to say about the guy but so long as the tinker-man keeps the tinkering to good tactical changes and doesn't rip the heart out of the team when he has the chance to spend then this could be  great season. 

Quite.

Great tactical changes from Ranieri yesterday.

De Laet was having a torrid time as they had clearly singled him out as our weak link at half time and doubled up on him to expose Mahrez's defensive frailties.

Personally didn't think the change was too late either, as despite the pressure that West Ham were placing us under we still carried the threat of being able to catch them on the break which would have ended the contest.

As soon as they scored Ranieri rang the changes and we consolidated to protect our lead. Yes, to some degree it was dangerous as we invited even more pressure on us but we had many more men behind the ball and what struck me most was the organisation of the team as we kept our shape very well indeed.

I also liked it towards the end when it was clear that Vardy was tiring, so he switched Fuchs with Schlupp to maintain some pace up front, and we had Kante bursting out from midfield which still provided a threat as West Ham by the point had switched to a very high defensive line. For me is was a clever tactic as it forced their centre midfielders and centre backs to sit a little deeper, and it gave us an outlet to get in behind the fullbacks who had advanced high up the pitch and run down the clock in the corners.

Quite.

I've been impressed and pleasantly surprised.

These were mostly Niges players but Rani has hit the ground running with them and even though we will have an inevitable bad period he has convinced me to give him time.

A bit of pragmatism wouldn't go amiss. As the season progresses scouting reports become more detailed and opponents more accustomed to what players will/can do. We've been excellent going forward and slightly suspect on occasion going back, Ranieri even acknowledged our nativity in his post match comments.

I'm delighted with our start but the winter run of fixtures is truly horrific, as the manager said in his interview these 6 points push us closer to the 40 needed (or the 42 Claudio's poor maths demanded) for survival.

Annoying spent about 2 mins talking about us and now 15 mins talking about Arsenal.

Just like the Guardian experts on the football weekly podcast.  You would think that they could at least watch match of the day to see how all teams are doing.  As always they talk about us for less than a minute, make a joke which isn't funny and spend time on that for 10 minutes, then say they have to move on.  They spend too much time on Arsenal or teams that the other presenters support

I used to really Like James Richardson but realise he is only an expert 4 teams, Arsenal, Bayen, AC & Inter Milan.

Edited by Richmondfox

A bit of pragmatism wouldn't go amiss. As the season progresses scouting reports become more detailed and opponents more accustomed to what players will/can do. We've been excellent going forward and slightly suspect on occasion going back, Ranieri even acknowledged our nativity in his post match comments.

I'm delighted with our start but the winter run of fixtures is truly horrific, as the manager said in his interview these 6 points push us closer to the 40 needed (or the 42 Claudio's poor maths demanded) for survival.

Yeah it doesn't matter when we get the points - we have to take advantage of the good fixtures when they fall and so far we've done that.

More than anything it's heartening that at this stage we're 3 points ahead of Villa and Norwich, 4 ahead of Watford, 5 ahead of Newcastle and West Brom and 6 ahead of Sunderland and Bournemouth. Realistically they're the 7 other teams which might go down barring a colossal implosion from West Ham and to have breathing space over them already is great news.