Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

People will just see the headlines. But Pearson is far from that, and the people who know football will know what he's like.

I wish he hadn't said the £180million thing, but its too late now! We are going to be labelled "Big spending Leicester City"...again!

I can't tell if the Man City fans are being ironic or are in complete denial regarding their spending, even though they have been used as the scapegoat for over spending in Europe.  Man Utd fans are deluded as well as they are going to have to spend big to be a top 5 club again.

You know what's amazing about all this business with the media today. Finding all these threads on other forums, especially the big teams. Amazing what a promotion does, eh. To be honest I'm seeing a right mix of responses, ranging from ridicule all the way to an "at least they're showing ambition" attitude from opposition fans. Hey, at least people are talking about us now I suppose...

True, although part of me just thinks this whole business was a PR campaign to raise the profile of the club in Thailand (which is, after all, where they broke the story).

The ambition that is being quoted and headlined (to achieve a top 5 place in 3 years) is not what they actually said anyway. But it gets them something with a strong line that's tweetable, slightly outrageous and gets people talking about it (like we are right now) to put our name out there to the vast majority of casual football fans who follow the Premier League and nothing else and have probably forgotton we existed in the 10 years since we've been out.

True, although part of me just thinks this whole business was a PR campaign to raise the profile of the club in Thailand (which is, after all, where they broke the story).

The ambition that is being quoted and headlined (to achieve a top 5 place in 3 years) is not what they actually said anyway. But it gets them something with a strong line that's tweetable, slightly outrageous and gets people talking about it (like we are right now) to put our name out there to the vast majority of casual football fans who follow the Premier League and nothing else and have probably forgotton we existed in the 10 years since we've been out.

Agreed. Has caused far more of a stir with other fans than it has with us. I've taken it with a pinch of salt and most people seem to have largely disregarded it. Contrast that with the reaction to the Mandaric takeover where people were turning cartwheels at the thought of signing someone better than Josh Low.

Exactly.

The figure quoted I think we can all take with a pinch of salt. 10b baht is a significant figure, and saying that while they're out in Thailand is clearly to drum up some more interest and show off our ambition.

He might be getting a bit carried away if he genuinely thinks we can be top 5 in 3 years, but I think he probably meant that we'll be aiming to be in a position where we are pushing towards the top 5 after 3 years. Very similar to what Southampton have done.

I quite enjoyed reading the Man City thread until I found this little note on the second page...

"All the best to them. They first need a good manager whow knows what he wants.

Mancini? SVG?"

I must say. Man City fans are quality. Numerous occasions they have spoken about us and almost all have been positive. They seem to have a soft spot for us.

Man City fans go into a pub in Aylestone whenever they are playing us. Spoke to a fair few of their fans and they love leicester as an awayday (god knows why)

There seems to be a bit of mutual respect between ourselves and them.

Man City fans go into a pub in Aylestone whenever they are playing us. Spoke to a fair few of their fans and they love leicester as an awayday (god knows why)

There seems to be a bit of mutual respect between ourselves and them.

Probably helps that we're almost exactly the club they were pre-Sheikh.

Unfashionable YoYo club with more attractive neighbours, the odd flirtations with the top half of the Prem but generally speaking just perennial also-rans.

Similar old grounds, similar attendances throughout the leagues, similar league standings.

Probably helps that we're almost exactly the club they were pre-Sheikh.

Unfashionable YoYo club with more attractive neighbours, the odd flirtations with the top half of the Prem but generally speaking just perennial also-rans.

Similar old grounds, similar attendances throughout the leagues, similar league standings.

I have a slight issue with unfashionable (which I don't think either of us ever really were)-we both would have been held in a general state of mild affection by clubs with nothing to do with us. Not the Arctic Monkeys or Coldplay but a decent Kasabian...

Also, more attractive neighbours??? Clubs with MASSIVE history perhaps, but I don't think any club involving Stuart Pearce, Frank Clark, Roy Keane or Steve Stone could be described as attractive... (Also, they haven't done anything, no play offs, no cup runs, no interest at all except a managerial merry-go-round for 20 years.)

Otherwise I tend to agree...

Edited by Oxfordfox83

I see its a QPR wankathon all over the place now since monday night

'arry this and Tony Fernandes that, everyone would of thought they have won it already

Derby got through too you know :ph34r:

COY'RAMS!

• Like 1

Forest are media darlings. We aren't.

And it's all thanks to the hard work and all round pleasantness of King Billy